Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kickstarter Watch.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
2423101-8972163942-laugh.gif

After three years of Kickstarter people are STILL doing this.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/epicmindsinc/midora-0/posts/1372414

Calling all publishers and investors - let's talk numbers.

Hello,

I really wish that I could've posted an update a week after the previous one, just like I promised. Except things did not go according to plan. I was perhaps too hopeful, but is it wrong to be hopeful? Our search for publishers and investors is, unfortunately, still not over. We've had opportunities with big names in the industry and, while they were all truly interested, their own schedule and projects was often the number one reason a partnership/agreement could not be made.

I would now like to address concerns that, while they are understandable, do not help our situation and give us a bad image. I feel it is time to be as transparent as possible and even give you actual numbers. Some people still believe that Midora is just "vaporware". I really have no way of showing everyone the work that has been put into finding a true partnership in the last few months, but I will say it again and again: I am never giving up on this game, and this has never been my intention. I will do whatever it takes to get the game I want to make into your hands. The game is complete on paper and the team has nothing but talent. Money is all that we need. Nothing can happen without money. Money is our final boss.

On the subject of money, there are certain things that I will admit. I will admit that the amount needed to create this game was largely underestimated for the campaign. I knew that the game would need more than $60,000 to be made. However, like many others, I didn't think for one second we could reach a goal higher than $60,000, especially after two failed campaigns and no prior advertising. With $60,000 in our hands, it would have been rather easy to create an Early Access and go from there. That part you probably knew already, and we aren't the first to have made poor decisions. Now what most of you don't know is how much was actually used in the development so far, and the answer is very simple: all of it. But how much exactly? Between $45,000 and $50,000. You wanted numbers, you got numbers. Not a single cent of that money was used to pay anything other than bills, food and development costs.

"But wait, kickstarter only takes 5% of the total! How can that be?". One word: taxes. We were heavily taxed from all places imaginable and everybody wanted a piece. We of course knew that would happen, but we never expected to be left with so little. After hiring another artist and paying existing debts, there was not much to work with... and yet we tried. We tried as hard as we could to bring you Early Access and we nearly succeeded. What we have done in 3 months last year was the most we had ever done on any project, and it was amazing. And yet we could not release anything due to lack of money, often doubts and poor timing. Running out of money quick has a way of pressuring you and transforming your life into a mess, simply because you need to secure more before it happens.

Somehow, after all of this, we are still here. We may not update you guys much on what is going on, but you can trust that we're doing everything we can to get back to work. If you want to know exactly how much money we need to finish this game, I will tell you: between $120,000 and $150,000. The programming of the game can be done in a matter of 3 to 4 months if we get a second programmer on the team, while the art would take 6 months with the current artists, perhaps 5 if we hire a third talent. That is if everyone works fulltime and is paid fulltime.

I would like to call all publishers and investors that could potentially be interested in the game. We have all that you need to make a decision and we're ready to be generous, provided that you help us in the first place. We want things to move on, to progress. If you are yourself interested or know anyone that could be interested, please leave us a message on kickstarter, facebook, twitter... anywhere really, as long as it's private. Feel free to suggest companies or suggest us to other companies if you think that could help as well. We are ready to talk.

-Mhyre
Game Director

:hero:

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hooo boy. I'd feel pretty bad seeing that.

Who'd back this thing, anyway? Looks like a complete GBA Zelda ripoff.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
These niggas using XNA? Nobody told them it's deprecated for years?

Also it was obvious this wouldn't end well, what they raised isn't even enough to pay a team member for an year.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Discussion in the comments:

Quang Tran 2 days ago
Can you give us true transparency, and give us a breakdown of how $45,000 was split between team members, costs for rent, food, etc. I think something is truly wrong with your management of funds if you've burned through it all already. And I say this as an indie developer myself (feel free to PM me and I will show you my projects). I've been working as an indie developer for over 2 years, full time, and have used up less than 25k. I am offering my help and consultation, please email me

Creator Epic Minds 2 days ago
@Quang Tran: We're glad $25k is just enough for you to last over two years on your own. There is something you don't seem to realize just yet: we are a team. A full team. We all live in different parts of the world where we have different bills to pay. If everyone was working under the same roof, things would not cost that much. Also we believe in fair pay for fair work, and some people work harder than others. Nobody is getting overpaid, but $45,000-$50,000 gone so quick is just the reality of things.

Quang Tran 2 days ago
I also don't work on my own. I work as a team with different people all across the world. I work with 1 musician, and 6 different artists (I am the programmer). 45k gone that quick means you're doing something wrong, period.

Do you really believe that you've made all the best budgeting decisions towards the game? At least by talking with me, you can get a different perspective on how another indie suit runs things. You might learn something for next go-around. Maybe the method wouldn't suit you, but it doesn't hurt to look. That's all I'm saying. My offer for consultation still stands. I believe you have my email.

Creator Epic Minds 2 days ago
@Quang Tran: So 8 people working on your project, assuming you don't pay yourself, 25k in two years? I hope you understand paying someone $148 a month sounds a bit ridiculous. You can't even come close to paying bills with that kind of money.

Quang Tran 2 days ago
Obviously, not everyone is full-time, nor should they be. And I'm not saying that you'll get a nice cushy salary. Everyone will have to squeeze, the main leads in particular. I think that's expected of indie development.

Toby Fox for instance, recently released Undertale to critical acclaim, and he got kickstarted for less!

I'm not going to continue this conversation through kickstarter comments, however. You have my email, and you know how to reach me.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Paying artists and musicians is definitely different depending on if you're commissioning vs. if you are hiring them.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
That's bullshit. A game like that can be made on 50k entirely. Oh you poor baby, you need two programmers to finish the project and you want to pay them? Fuck you, just sit the fuck down and code it all yourself, it's not rocket science. Better yet, find one that will work for free for a promise of money in the future. People like that exist, I personally know a few right now.
You need to hire and pay artists? Ok, but how could you hire one that would obviously burn through all your money before making one third of all your required assets? Hire a cheaper one from a cheap country. If you've got no money left, hire a young one who has no experience, lives with his mom and will work for the shares, not for money. I was personally asked by a young girl artist (18 y.o.) two days ago if I don't know a team that could accept her and she'd work for free, because she's got into her head that making a game can bring a lot of money when it comes out.
You need musicians? Some of them cost next to nothing.

Bullshit excuses from a fat fuck who can't be bothered to tighten his belt, because he's used to all the comforts in the world. You're not indie if you don't know any indie people ready to work literally for food/for free.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That's bullshit. A game like that can be made on 50k entirely. Oh you poor baby, you need two programmers to finish the project and you want to pay them? Fuck you, just sit the fuck down and code it all yourself, it's not rocket science. Better yet, find one that will work for free for a promise of money in the future. People like that exist, I personally know a few right now.
You need to hire and pay artists? Ok, but how could you hire one that would obviously burn through all your money before making one third of all your required assets? Hire a cheaper one from a cheap country. If you've got no money left, hire a young one who has no experience, lives with his mom and will work for the shares, not for money. I was personally asked by a young girl artist (18 y.o.) two days ago if I don't know a team that could accept her and she'd work for free, because she's got into her head that making a game can bring a lot of money when it comes out.
You need musicians? Some of them cost next to nothing.

Bullshit excuses from a fat fuck who can't be bothered to tighten his belt, because he's used to all the comforts in the world. You're not indie if you don't know any indie people ready to work literally for food/for free.

Wow wow there hotshot, I don't care about the others, but do you have the email contacts for that young girl artist? Would be really nice if you have her portfolio as well.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
http://www.gamewatcher.com/news/201...nceled-team17-to-publish-survivor-horror-game
Allison Road Kickstarter canceled, Team17 to publish survivor horror game
20 hours ago | By JAFalcon

Indie developer Lilith has announced that they have canceled their Kickstarter for their survival horror game Allison Road, which is a spiritual successor to the creepy game P.T. They revealed that they found a publisher to fund the game, Team17, best known for the Worms franchise.

The developer stated in an update on the Kickstarter, "We have decided to withdraw the Kickstarter campaign to allow us to commit 100% to an opportunity that will give us the chance as a team to create the best game possible.

"As a newly founded studio, we’ve been completely overwhelmed by your encouragement and huge interest in Allison Road and we’d love to thank each and every one of you for all of the amazing support you have given us during our Kickstarter campaign and beyond. Really incredibly appreciated."

They went on to announce their "amazing" news that Team17 would be publishing, allowing them to focus 100% on development.

"Working with Team17 will give us the chance to make our game unhindered creatively, but at the same time will give us the resources, support and experience that only a 25 year old studio can give."

The studio then promised, "For all of you that have pledged already for in game rewards, we absolutely promise you that we will look at ways outside of Kickstarter that will allow you to be involved in the game at a later date."

Stay tuned for more info.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
From the Codex inbox:

Hey guys,

I wanted to introduce you our project, Wanderer, an episodic 2D adventure game blending cinematic platformer and RPG into an immersive and beautiful lo-fi sci-fi universe.

You can watch our first trailer here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L--MiZLJl-M

And we just launched a Kickstarter campaign with more details about the project:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1231806848/wanderer-2

And finally a Greenlight campaign:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=514749367

Looks cool, I guess.

Executr

Cipher
Sequel to Void Destroyer.

Ok, to avoid double-posting I'll edit this one, to add one for the weebs out here:

Last edited:

Executr

Cipher
Aaaannd, another. This one you've probably heard of it, because it's been in development for almost 10 years.
And on top of it, the guy decided to go for the MMO route...

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/epicmindsinc/midora-0/posts/1372414
Kickstarter Hack said:
With $60,000 in our hands, it would have been rather easy to create an Early Access and go from there. That part you probably knew already, and we aren't the first to have made poor decisions. Now what most of you don't know is how much was actually used in the development so far, and the answer is very simple: all of it. But how much exactly? Between $45,000 and $50,000. You wanted numbers, you got numbers. Not a single cent of that money was used to pay anything other than bills, food and development costs.

(sic.)

If you want to know exactly how much money we need to finish this game, I will tell you: between $120,000 and $150,000. The programming of the game can be done in a matter of 3 to 4 months if we get a second programmer on the team, while the art would take 6 months with the current artists, perhaps 5 if we hire a third talent. That is if everyone works fulltime and is paid fulltime.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Bills, Food and "Development Costs" - Are you dining on Caviar and writing a line of code an hour on a gold plated keyboard?

You don't take the money then pay yourselves a beefy salary then "run out of money".
Get the fucking game done. You get paid when the game is on sale.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom