Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kickstarter Watch.

Kz3r0

Arcane
don't crush my illusions
You are posting on this board without already being a jaded cynical cunt?
Run away 'till you can.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
A playable demo is probably the worst thing you can do to sell a ks..

1) most backers don't want to take time to play it

2) many who do will not understand why it's not a polished product

3) it takes a huge amount of effort

Kraszu

Prophet
Yeah screens, good description, and having some gameplay in your video video (or separate gameplay video) is likely better then the demo. It takes much more effort to download, install, and play demo, then to watch video. Also in gameplay video you can explain how your game works, and why it is good.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Spaceventure offered a proof of concept demo halfway their Kickstarter, people took back their pledges in a frenzy because the cocept of pre-alpha was alien to them, and because being old school and shit is so cool, until you play a Sierra-like adventure with plenty of absurd deaths.

uaciaut

Augur
Sure, but not everybody is, and then its better you can show something substantial than just nice screens
As I hace already wrote, itìs not how Kicstarter works.

I disagree, you can make a project work without having a big name and it's worked in the past. It's a serious disadvantage and you'll have to make due with a lower budget but it can work.

I think the biggest surprise is always when veteran developers need 10x times as much money to make a platformer than newcomers or at least complete unknowns, and the game by the unknowns actually delivers while the veterans produce less than desired results (see Shovel Knight vs Mighty Nr. 9). Not that its possible to really generalize, as a lot of the smaller projects by unknowns are still shit, but usually you only pledge 10 $ compared to what some people put into bug name projects

This.

I think a lot of devs have a higher base goal for their game than they actually need. For Chrissake, Shadowrun Returns was 2D--as good as it is, a game like that should require maybe 200k max, minus the engine costs, if they decided to make one in-house. Seems like an attempt to line their own pockets. Rather than create a great game. ;)

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I think one of the main reasons for the pricing discrepancy is the fact that veteran developers who are already working for 15+ years have different expectations, such as decent health insurance, enough income to support a family, contributions to a retirement plan, a regular 40 hour work week. Video game development is a business after all, and the developers need to consider the opportunity cost of working on a small crowdfunded project versus a less creative job that pays the bills.

Executr

Cipher

Overview:
Remnant is a real-time 4X space strategy game set in a single planetary system. Some of the features that make Remnant unique are:
  • Full 3D Battles: Combat takes place in completely open space with full six degrees of freedom. No tiles. No grids. Simplified Newtonian physics allow movement in one direction while facing (and attacking) another.
  • Espionage: A complex espionage system involving agents that gain experience and level up. Capture or assassinate other player's governors, admirals and spies or disrupt their fledgling empire through sabotage and subterfuge.
  • Orbits: A dynamic map where all planets, moons and asteroids move in orbit as the game progresses. Colonizing a moon will keep the colony at arm's length but not yield as many resources as capturing the more vulnerable outer planets and asteroids.
  • Logistics: Resources are local to each planet rather than empire wide. The transportation of resources from mining worlds to forge worlds create emergent supply lines that are vulnerable to disruption.

Asking for 7,5k$CAD. 30 days to go. The part about being set in a single planetary system has me very interested in this game. Hopefull it'll make it.

I think one of the main reasons for the pricing discrepancy is the fact that veteran developers who are already working for 15+ years have different expectations, such as decent health insurance, enough income to support a family, contributions to a retirement plan, a regular 40 hour work week. Video game development is a business after all, and the developers need to consider the opportunity cost of working on a small crowdfunded project versus a less creative job that pays the bills.

Then perhaps they should deliver games? Rather than stretch goals.

There is a way to earn a living. It's called working.

Rather than marketing yourself like an Amsterdam hooker.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt

Then perhaps they should deliver games? Rather than stretch goals.

There is a way to earn a living. It's called working.

Rather than marketing yourself like an Amsterdam hooker.
I'm not trying to defend stretch goals; the general public is often unaware of the costs of software development and I think project creators take advantage of the stretch goal mechanism in order to low-ball the project cost to make it seem reachable, and then use the stretch goals to motivate backers to achieve the actual desired funding level. As an aside, it's a well known adage that a project estimate should be doubled since people tend to underestimate how long it will take them to complete tasks.

Regarding the marketing, we've repeatedly seen how nostalgia and name recognition go a long way toward helping a project get publicity and backers. Of course, it's possible that some projects attempt to capitalize on their star power and charge excessive amounts (cough*Brenda Romero's old skool RPG*cough). However, I'd say that unknown developers often underbid the project cost and then work a second job or use personal savings to increase the likelihood of meeting the funding goal.

I regard the shilling of stretch goals as I do pricing grocery items at say four for $9.99: it might be silly marketing trick that I'm not going to fall for, but other buyers will.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Added The Bard's Tale IV to Codex Pet Projects.

Last edited:

Lucky

Arcane
Found a good kickstarter game that’s not on the list yet.

It’s called Freedom Planet. Surprisingly fun 2D platformer made by Danish developer GalaxyTrail. Got kickstarted over two years ago and released last year. Short, but good, with fast-paced, multi-approach level design. Levels are fairly large, with optional-routes and different characters to replay with. Quite a few bosses for a game of this size. Cutesy pixel-art, but well-done and smooth looking. Nice soundtrack, too. It´s also got quite a few cutscenes at the end of levels to flesh out the story, but the characters are flat and their voices can get grating, although you can play in Classic mode and focus on the levels, instead.

There’s a demo and the full-game can be gotten from Humble Store and Steam.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Found a good kickstarter game that’s not on the list yet.

It’s called Freedom Planet. Surprisingly fun 2D platformer made by Danish developer GalaxyTrail.
Added to platformers.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kitaru
Another undelivered game.
I for one am shocked that a game with that budget didn't get completed (if it were ever in development). 3D game with voice actors and other crap?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom