Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kickstarter Watch.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Graphics, voice actors and hyper-inflated marketing budgets.

Space Hulk guys kickstarting new turn based Jagged Alliance http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2079547763/jagged-alliance-flashback

Just how good of a Jagged Alliance game can they do with a funding of a 350 000? Even if they get a million I don't think that's enough for a glorious games and a supposed successor of JA2.

KotC made a complex game with next to no cash. I don't know why people think complexity costs money. Graphics do.

Well I happen to think portraits, animations and art style from JA2 were an important part of its charm. Don't know what they intend to do. I'm hoping for the best, but am a bit doubtful just how much money will they manage to raise. Too bad all my "pet" projects aren't handled by a suave businessman like mr. Fargo. They would have much better chances then.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Space Hulk guys kickstarting new turn based Jagged Alliance http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2079547763/jagged-alliance-flashback

Just how good of a Jagged Alliance game can they do with a funding of a 350 000? Even if they get a million I don't think that's enough for a glorious games and a supposed successor of JA2.

KotC made a complex game with next to no cash. I don't know why people think complexity costs money. Graphics do.
Complexity costs money if the programmers expect to get paid, unlike KotC which was programmed by guys on their free time.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Complexity costs money if the programmers expect to get paid, unlike KotC which was programmed by guys on their free time.

Programmer man-hours to make complexity cost way less than pretty games.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

Programmer man-hours to make complexity cost way less than pretty games.
Depends on exactly how much complexity you want. The time requirements increase sharply as complexity increases, since each new feature you add must play nicely with every other feature you already have.

Kz3r0

Arcane
So, I have to put the new Jagged Alliance in Orange or play nice with our evil publisher and stick to the usual yellow?
In before in the brown.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So, I have to put the new Jagged Alliance in Orange or play nice with our evil publisher and stick to the usual yellow?
In before in the brown.

Yeah we need basically a Yellow Orange. :lol:

*I* have some concerns, but I have a feeling it is more of me not understanding some concepts via Licencing from a EVIL PUBLISHER (of which I have to say BROFist to Bitcomposer for coming here in that JA thread and talking with us on this). My 2 cents is Yellow is fine. Unless future info is revealed that this is a shitty Baby's First Strategy Game™ like that XCOM remake was.

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
An interesting read about Kickstarter and video games :

http://www.gamestatistics.fr/Enquete-Crowdfunding_Rapport.pdf

Sadly it's written in French and centered around french speaking gamers (so the panel is rather small) but interesting nonetheless.

A few random tibbits :

- No evidence of Kickstarter Fatigue
- Realease delay is not a factor
- No one cares about playable demo
- Backers claimed they don't care about the developer's track record or having prestigious names in the team, lyiers !
- Alpha and Beta acces seams to be a popular tier goal, in-game bonuses not so much.

I might translate the two-pages conclusion if there's a demand for it, but I'll let google handle the rest.

Kz3r0

Arcane
In before in the brown.

Yeah we need basically a Yellow Orange. :lol:

*I* have some concerns, but I have a feeling it is more of me not understanding some concepts via Licencing from a EVIL PUBLISHER (of which I have to say BROFist to Bitcomposer for coming here in that JA thread and talking with us on this). My 2 cents is Yellow is fine. Unless future info is revealed that this is a shitty Baby's First Strategy Game™ like that XCOM remake was.
Let's trust the EVIL PUBLISHER then.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
"Shadowfrun?" Do you mean Shadowrun? Developer? Do you mean publisher? Regardless, they didn't run to anybody for money.

The game is delayed and and the promised no DRM version will be only for backers, plus they are implementing multiplayer because they have a publisher now. So it's seems they run out of money.

1: SRR did not promise drm-free to non backers. Sucks to be Jew.

2: It is expositions conquistador that got a publisher and multiplayer.

Thread sucks and OP is a faggot.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm wary of licensed titles now after SRR, and CrashOberbreit might seem like a cool guy, but unless I see the actual license agreement, caution should be advised.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Orange it is then.

On a side note, I have eliminated the Future Projects section, it has not been very informative or indicative until now.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Butthurt indie is butthurt: http://beefjack.com/news/irresponsi...e-the-death-of-kickstarter-says-industry-vet/

Speaking with Edge in this month’s magazine (#253, May 2013), Eerie Canal developer Steven Kimura made clear his frustrations with crowd funding site Kickstarter. Alongside Eerie’s co-founder Bryn Bennett, Kimura watched Dreadline – Kimura and Bennett’s very own Kickstarter project – fail in January, achieving just $23,408 of the proposed $167,000 goal. Deadline’s Kickstarter trailer looked great, but probably didn’t showcase quite enough gameplay to snare the crowd. Could Kimura’s rants be perceived as sour grapes, then? Very possibly, but he still raises some very valid points about the downside of the crowd funding game.

“Kickstarter is becoming a burned out, cynical market that can’t support the kinds of projects we’re working on.” says Kimura. “It’s disheartening for me to see some rehash of a game that was popular 20 years ago get funded. I get it, because that’s a reflection of the retail market – all sequels – but those kinds of projects have really burned people out on Kickstarter for us.”

“For me, indie development is about making something creative and different. I think that’s what Kickstarter was supposed to be about, but I think that it’s shifted, especially in the game space. Now it’s just a shop and I think that’s the death of that platform. That’s not what it’s for.”

Kz3r0

Arcane
Butthurt indie is butthurt: http://beefjack.com/news/irresponsi...e-the-death-of-kickstarter-says-industry-vet/

Speaking with Edge in this month’s magazine (#253, May 2013), Eerie Canal developer Steven Kimura made clear his frustrations with crowd funding site Kickstarter. Alongside Eerie’s co-founder Bryn Bennett, Kimura watched Dreadline – Kimura and Bennett’s very own Kickstarter project – fail in January, achieving just $23,408 of the proposed $167,000 goal. Deadline’s Kickstarter trailer looked great, but probably didn’t showcase quite enough gameplay to snare the crowd. Could Kimura’s rants be perceived as sour grapes, then? Very possibly, but he still raises some very valid points about the downside of the crowd funding game.

“Kickstarter is becoming a burned out, cynical market that can’t support the kinds of projects we’re working on.” says Kimura. “It’s disheartening for me to see some rehash of a game that was popular 20 years ago get funded. I get it, because that’s a reflection of the retail market – all sequels – but those kinds of projects have really burned people out on Kickstarter for us.”

“For me, indie development is about making something creative and different. I think that’s what Kickstarter was supposed to be about, but I think that it’s shifted, especially in the game space. Now it’s just a shop and I think that’s the death of that platform. That’s not what it’s for.”
Yeah, Kickstarter exists to fund the plethora of shitty games that usually copy ideas from already existing franchises and never deliver a product, as the most funded sections on Kickstarter and Indiegogo can testimony.
Never heard of the cretin now I will be sure to not buy anything made by this imbecile.

KKKODEXIAN MOMENT
Reahsing of a twenty years old franchise eh, DIE PIECE OF SHIT DIE.:x

Edit:
And the Codex covered those retards in the news section, a grimdark clone of ghost Master, original indeed.

:rage:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Oh shit, lazy journalism alert: that crappy message in a bottle app he highlights as a "wtf" was funded by a grand total of 3 contributors.

Looks like someone's mom felt bad for them.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/04/23/skullgirls-crowdfunding-stymied-by-paypal/

PayPal has put the brakes on the Indiegogo campaign for Skullgirls, leaving Lab Zero Games unable to pay its staff.

The money transfer service withheld funds, saying it was not willing to take the risk that backers would demand refunds at the end of a poll to select which DLC characters will be developed.

[...]
Lab Zero CEO Bartholow took to NeoGAF to vent his frustrations, and in a series of posts collated by GamesIndustry, revealed that PayPal finally unfroze the account but withheld $35,000 as collateral. Other developers have not experienced this problem using rival services like Amazon, Bartholow said, and he has filed a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

I'm quite impressed by Paypal. So far Kickstarter has proven to be completely hands off even with projects where they certainly should have intervened. Good on them for stepping into the ring to make sure everyone upholds their responsibilities, even if it is mainly to avoid problems for themselves in the future. This is exactly what Kickstarter needs to start doing. They need to become the oversight that many of these really small developers seem to need. I imagine Paypal would even have advised against the path taken by Logic Artists & Conquistador, but probably could not have done anything since they had used their money up already.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom