Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Kickstarter: Exoplanet: First Contact

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Our long term plan is to make each next Chapter of Exoplanet bigger and better, with more content and gameplay mechanics. That means any additional funding will be much welcome, so initially we decided to sell each Chapter separately. After considering options we also decided to improve the FULLY LOADED rewards pack for those backers who really want to support the development of all upcoming Chapters. This pack gives now access to all Exoplanet’s Chapters immediately after their release.

Ahh, so the full game will cost $100, and the Early Bird tier is only for the first 10 hours. Should probably mention that in the OP.

laclongquan

Arcane
It's hard to get excited about no images and a white square saying connection reset~

Words? Words are cheap, mang~

Okay, kidding aside, the game looks pretty good. Actually, a bit too good for the amount they ask for. Them devs are Russkie and Ukraine, not 3rd world programmers like Vietnamese. Those figures are enough for them to finish the game?

Again, my usual contribution apply, marketing-wise: Get an image of a barely nekkid female figure as posters. Luckily, the theme is space western so you have many choice: a dancing prostitute NPC, a barkeeping slut NPC, or a slutty NPC who cheat you in quests.

Game got a chick but she's in too much cloth. Realistic, but it aint get your audience excited. Note that the many western novels got barely clothed female figures on cover.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
And also we can't promise you 80 hours of gameplay with our money at the moment. That is why we are trying to raise money via Kickstarter. And if we get some extra money we will be able to create more great things in Chapter One.

Sounds like they barely have enough money for a 10 hour game and are hoping for Kickstarter and stretch goals to fund any additional chapters. Would be amusing if it barely hits the goal, and they announce that it's only enough for one chapter.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Borderlands has stats and roles and sold reasonably well.

Darkzone

Arcane
Should not the Codex be about supporting the little people, the real indie devs?
And when you bashed that Moonshit KS (and it deserved it) you mentioned things it fucked up, this KS does not have any of that. It is even made mostly by Eastern European devs that we know don't do SJW.
For 10 or 15$ you will get 10+ hours of a different kind of RPG (space western theme is not really popular at the moment) and support something different.
If you need more convincing: If you don't help them, they will run out of money and the Ukranian devs and Russian devs will need to join their respective armies and go fight and kill each other..

Technically said that pitch video was perfect in certain aspects: It explained the story, the main character, the environment, the things that you will do in the game and used only the ingame footage. And that instantaneous convinced me. Naturally i do not think that they will manage to pull off all the things that they want, but that is not so important as long as they manage to make a decent game. Also i agree with you that it is better to support them in developing a game together, instead of supporting them in shooting at each other.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It never was.
How many crpgs in space western setting was released in the last 20 years? 0?
All more the reason to support this game. It even came with a well made gameplay video that really looked at least Alpha quality. I noticed it lacked some animations like getting from standing position to sitting down on the floor and such and running was a bit strange but everything else already looked good.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm quite indifferent to western is space, so the only thought I have - such game should be inspired by books, isn't it?
I don't know, am I read something in sci-fi, I think not, unlikely something was translated into Russian, but I belive everyone read Fenimore Cooper. I mean basis for game should be more solid, otherwise it is recycled in n degree, something like chewed up paper that is eaten for the third time.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I backed at $10. I can see a bit of Gothic 1/2 in just the animations, hopefully the combat is as timing-sensitive as their stated inspiration. Episodic? Who cares, $10 for 10 hrs is a good deal and maybe it'll springboard them into more financial independence. 45k isn't much, but it goes a lot further when you're working out of eastern bloc countries.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Did nobody think to check their homepage yet? There's some crucial information to be found there.

In Expoplanet: FC there are no traditional stats for the characters like Strength, Stamina, Dexterity etc. and there are no corresponding restrictions for armor and weapons. The character can use any armor or gun presented in the game, but the effectiveness of his actions will vary greatly according to his favorite skills.

A skinny teenager that can carry, reload and shoot a light machinegun. But how good is he as a shooter? Will he survive in combat?

So we decided to remove most of the basic stats and restrictions for weapons and armor usage.

Character’s base stats are:

• Vitality – classic health points, they define how much damage your character can take before he dyes.
  • Focus points – energy recourse used to activate a special “Gunslinger Mode” which we will discuss later.

The core of Exoplanet: FC role playing system consists from 2 key parts: Skills and Talents.

Skills present the passive side of the system. Their values grow from 0 to 100 and they define how good your character can make typical interactions with the game world: shoot, talk, hide, heal, craft, scavenge recourses etc. Skills are the manifestation of the characters basic life experience, they can be trained constantly and automatically with each successful action.

There are several ways to increase skills: direct interaction with the world, successful completion of related quests, training by a teacher, other unique one-time opportunities.

Certain threshold values of skills are necessary conditions for mastering some talents. The point is, that in mid- and endgame your preferences are clearly visible in your characters build. So your choice matters. Always.
Talents are specific knowledge, tricks, secrets and abilities, they could be described as a “know-how” or “can-do-something-unusual”. Talents affect the gameplay significantly, most of them bring qualitative changes to it creating new options for the player in achieving his goals.

Talents are divided in branches of the “Talent Tree” (combat, diplomacy, stealth, crafting etc.). They also have ranks, restricted by corresponding skills value. Higher talent ranks give the character some nice passive bonuses but also some significant quality changes.

It may seem to look a bit like Skyrim’s RPG-system, but we have more skills and more Talents, all of them are more important for the gameplay and give more distinctive feel of the characters specialization. Talents are also more interesting and fun.

The key feature in the talents concept is synergy:

Talent A + Talent B = synergetic Talent C.

Talent C is more powerful then the first two together, it can change your gameplay completely, allowing you to learn new ways to kill enemies, make diversions, craft something etc.

Synergy of the Talents makes building your character more interesting and rewarding. Different sets of talents are attractive for the player and good for different gameplay styles. It also adds a lot of replayability, since you cannot get all the talents in one playtrough.

You can get talents by several ways:
  • learn talents in factions;
  • get talents as specific queat rewards;
  • complete hidden chalenges.
There are no experience points in classic form in Exoplanet: FC. The character does not get experience points for killing monsters and NPCs. This is just the direct way to increase his skills. Instead of the experience points and level-ups there are reputation points which are granted for the competition of quests and other successful actions./quote]

YtS5glg.png

agris

Arcane
Patron
You're gonna love ELEX then.
Ugh, you're killing me.

good point

edit: I guess the calculus I did was: for $10, and showing a 3+ minutes of gameplay, I'll take a risk on an under-served genre. Not A-RPGs, but the Western-Space theme (yes, I like Firefly). Also, Gothic 1/2 aren't huge english franchises, so the fact the devs reference that and Morrowind (which had good environmental storytelling and exploring) instead of Skyrim and Fallout 3 is promising.

They just released an update on what their version of an Episode means, FYI, which is a logically consistent and self-contained story arc.

edit2: yea I just saw that poll on their homepage. I'm also playing Alpha Protocol again and the circuitry minigame is a shimmer of hope for the minigame mechanic. It doesn't have to be horrible. Also, the Gothic lockpicking mechanism was enjoyable (for me) and could be considered a minigame.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
If I never play another action RPG again, it would be too soon.
That you might be happy they said this
Also the level design will be in many ways similar to the Gothic 1-2 (not the 3-4!), so the player will be able to find his way without looking at the map, and the exploration of the levels will bring him good items and additional quests.
The skill system and how it will influence all activities the player will be busy with in Exoplanet is another big topic. In two words, the skills, chosen by the player will affect everything. In fact, you got very close with your examples from Fallout to our concept of skill usage and interactivity.
when they were asked this
Can you tell us more about the RPG system mechanics and how they interact with the world? When you reference Fallout 1/2, I can't help but think of the interplay (ha ha) between player skills and unlocking dialogue options, quest solutions and certain world interactions like using Doctor on the hurt brahmin, Science on the computer terminal, Outdoorsman for certain dialogue responses, etc. What are the Fallout inspirations for your game, and how do the game mechanics reflect this? Also, is a classless skill-based character system planned?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I wasn't aware that Fallout had a learning-by-doing skill system.

Drowed

Arcane
Well, I kinda like the concept of the game. But everything else is... :keepmymoney:

Action-RPG, minigames, chapters, and too many promises to the scope of a project that asks for a relatively low value... I don't believe that they can deliver a good game, at all. Simple as that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom