Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Broken Sword The Serpent's Curse

Astral Rag

Arcane
A new, original, Broken Sword game by Charles Cecil. Join the adventure and help us create the best Broken Sword game ever.

serp.jpg

WE'VE GOT THE TEAM BACK TOGETHER. Charles Cecil has assembled his team - including many of the original Revolution crew. Rolf Saxon (voice of George) is brushing dust off his microphone and other former voice actors from the series are ready to roll.

THE 2D ARTISTS ARE BACK IN TOWN. Yes we are going back to our 2D roots. We've searched high and low for the best artists to translate the original charm to a contemporary adventure. We've sourced artists that have worked at Disney, Dreamworks, Nickelodeon, Universal, Aardman, Sony and 20th Century Fox. Backgrounds are drawn in 2D by experienced layout artists. Game characters are created and animated in 3D and then pre-rendered and saved as 2D frames so we can deliver ultra high quality visuals in full HD glory.

For the first time in our history, we will be funding an original adventure game: Broken Sword - the Serpent's Curse. This will give us full creative freedom, and let us work with you.

Development of the game is going well. Kickstarter funding will allow us to proceed at a faster rate, and ensure the game achieves its ambitious design. Without this funding we will risk having to cut back features and delay the game's release.

Whether you are able to back this project or not, if you're a fan of the Broken Sword games then please share this with your friends so they can help make the next Broken Sword the best game yet!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/165500047/broken-sword-the-serpents-curse-adventure

Article on RPS:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/08/23/broken-sword-the-serpents-curse-launches-a-kickstarter/

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Fuck yeah!

I never actually completed any of the Broken Sword games (Though I should one day) but this is great news for anyone who loves them. Plus they're going back to 2D!

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Hmm, seems cool. After BS3 and 4 and the stupid Director Cuts, though, I'm somewhat wary. George also looks pretty crappy.
But I'll probably end up going for the boxed version again. :avatard:

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Fuck yeah!!! I loved these games as a teenager, although I only finished Shadow of the Templars (that fucking goat). The transition to 3D ruined the game, but still good memories from the first two games.

Honestly, I'm not entirely convinced about the cell-shaded pseudo 2D they are using with the characters. But at least it looks better than the shitty 3D games they did after Smoking Mirror.

Sigh... Another vaporware I pledge money. Hopefully they'll reach their goal.

Keshik

Arcane
Wonder which voice Nico will have. But I loved BS and BS2, so I'm down for this.

Astral Rag

Arcane
"Hi all.

We are getting a lot of questions from everyone! We will gradually add answers to our FAQ. But just to address the most common questions now:

Will the game be DRM free? Yes.
Will it be available for Linux? Yes.
Will the game be available in German/French? Yes.
Will you bring back the original German/French voices? We certainly hope to! But unfortunately we don't know yet and can't make any promises.
How much do I pledge for shipping? Shipping is free for the UK, EU, US, Canada, Norway, Switzerland, and Iceland. For all other locations, please add $10 to your pledge to cover additional shipping costs.
What size will the t-shirts be? We don't know yet.

Thank you all for your questions! All your feedback is much appreciated! :)"

Also:

1hv5us.jpg

kaizoku

Arcane
holy mother of point 'n click!
this put tears into an old man's heart
going to watch the KS video

Fuck yeah!

I never actually completed any of the Broken Sword games (Though I should one day) but this is great news for anyone who loves them. Plus they're going back to 2D!

1) buy BS1 + BS2 on GOG
2) browse the codex while they download
3) install them
4) forget about the codex for a week
5) ???
6) profit

Hmm, seems cool. After BS3 and 4 and the stupid Director Cuts, though, I'm somewhat wary.
fuck you for taking a slice of my hopes
But I'll probably end up going for the boxed version again. :avatard:
true

Fuck yeah!!! I loved these games as a teenager, although I only finished Shadow of the Templars (that fucking goat). The transition to 3D ruined the game, but still good memories from the first two games.
x2 (but I also finished the BS2... not as good as the first)

kaizoku

Arcane
Why do the characters look different from Broken Sword 1 and 2?

When we started thinking about the project, we wanted to get as close as possible to the original feel in HD. But HD on, for example, the iPad3 is over three times the original resolution both horizontally and vertically - 10 times as many pixels. We did experiment with an artist creating the character animations but it would simply have taken too long to create them. Personally I am pleased with the 2.5D look - we do model and animate in 3D but then pre-render to get as close to 2D as we can. Apologies if this wasn't clear enough in how we described the project.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Project: Eternity
The last two sequels were utter disappointments, but they are pushing all the right buttons with this one. It seems Cecil has learned from past mistakes. I'm backing it.

Have to admit though, I would have prefered a BASS sequel. That was by far the best Revolution adventure.

kaizoku

Arcane
BASS is a very cool game. But considering how it ended, I'm not sure how they would continue it. But yeah, a game set in the same world would be awesome.

I think I kind of spotted what makes George look odd.
The original BS1 trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73IaO6EVOaU Compare with the KS video at minute 6.
The hair color and his jaw line are off in the new game. (pic from BS2 cutscene)

There is the obvious age issue... but IMO they are supposed to be intemporal, like IJ.

Fun fact:
While I was looking out for original screens of the original BS I ended up on youtube on cubex55 long plays. And it's funny to see that BS1 LP is a bit over 7 hours, while other games are quite shorter: The Dig 3 hours, IJatFoA less than 5 hours, MI1 3 hours and a half, MI2 3 hours.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Naturally. This is a very popular series, and it had recent releases(the DC's, which apparently sold very well). Timing is also great, there are no big concurrent kickstarters going now.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
I bought the first three off of GoG last year, without really knowing anything about them, and ended up blasting through the first two back to back. The third lost me with its 3D and quick time events. Since this looks more like the first two I'm happy to invest in it.

I do think George doesn't look goofy enough though. His jaw is a bit too sharp.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I don't like the new artstyle in the Kickstarter video, I'd much prefer the style from the first two games rather than "cell-shading"-style. First two Broken Sword games were top-notch but I was much much less impressed with the new beginning made for the first Broken Sword; new writing was huge step down from the original...although I didn't play it far.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
They are going for the style of the DC's. Dave Gibbons style. I don't really mind it.

George looks like a blonde Dylan Dog though. Even the outfit is exactly the same.

Deleted member 7219

Still need to complete 1, 2 and 3. Bought them from GOG.com when they were on sale. I've donated to this, though, mainly out of principle.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Don't waste your time with the third. Unless you are a completionist and want to finish all the series.

Deleted member 7219

Playing through 1 right now. I was thinking of playing the 1 and 2 original versions first, then the DCs straight after. Is that a good idea?

Stabwound

Arcane
I've never gotten around to playing the DS games, either. I guess this is a good time to start.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Playing through 1 right now. I was thinking of playing the 1 and 2 original versions first, then the DCs straight after. Is that a good idea?

Excellent idea. Some think the DC has an improved interface and visuals, and also like the extra content(I disagree on both counts), but keep in mind the director's cut is a PC censored piece of shit that removed dialog considered "offensive" and also eliminated all mention of violence and death sequences.

Also keep in mind this is a VERY "nice" game, youth friendly, with no immorality or wanton violence at all, and the few "game overs" are realistic in their premise and don't even show any blood or gore(a black screen, gunshot sounds and an image of a graveyard offends libruls nowadays?). Ugh... to think they actually edited and censored it(however small that censoring and editing was) makes my head hurt.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Also, 3 and 4 are shit and everyone knows it, but I played through them back in the day and I imagine everyone supporting the kickstarter and liking the series will want to do it. Part 4 ends in a cliffhanger and this new sequel will obviously have to take it from there.

Which is kind of sad really, because the plot of the 4th game was particularly retarded.

Deleted member 7219

Excellent idea. Some think the DC has an improved interface and visuals, and also like the extra content(I disagree on both counts), but keep in mind the director's cut is a PC censored piece of shit that removed dialog considered "offensive" and also eliminated all mention of violence and death sequences.

Also keep in mind this is a VERY "nice" game, youth friendly, with no immorality or wanton violence at all, and the few "game overs" are realistic in their premise and don't even show any blood or gore(a black screen, gunshot sounds and an image of a graveyard offends libruls nowadays?). Ugh... to think they actually edited and censored it(however small that censoring and editing was) makes my head hurt.

I heard the DC of 2 was better than the original. Any truth to that?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom