Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kerbal: why are you so broken?

SymbolicFrank

Magister
If there is one game I want to love, it's Kerbal Space Program. It's Big Win. Or at least, it would be, if it wasn't so very broken.

For starters, I'm an engineer, not a pilot. I don't want to have to fly them by hand, through a bad GUI. That's why we have computers. And, fortunately, there is MechJeb.

Well, you have to play in sandbox or fix it so it actually works from the start, but it is the best mod ever. It allows me to build and test the (currently) best ship.

But then, you notice that the rocket components are connected with chewing gum, and the designers tell you that explosive failure is what the game is about: you stack some components, launch and try to get them into space manually, and restart when it explodes. That is how the game goes.

Well. I don't know about them, but I don't think many people play it like that. It's not that rocket science is all that hard. But it surely is very hard to build a working rocket if they don't tell you about any of the specifications. Because, you're not supposed to understand how it works, you're supposed to stack and explode stuff.

And MechJeb rarely works as advertised when you start installing mods. You still have to do many things by hand. "Use the Force, Luke!" Because the user interface isn't telling you what you need to know!

Fortunately, there are very many people who feel the same way, and very many mods that try to fix that. And even a simple to use mod manager, that downloads and installs all your mods.

Unfortunately, you really need lots of mods to make it actually enjoyable (like Bethesda games), but those mods have many conflicts, and most of them break when the devs release a new update.

And even then. It is so broken.

Let's start with ladders. They don't work around corners. I spend half an hour building a new ship, and hours to get the ladders working.

Or that the only fuel available is: "Liquid Fuel". Random stuff you pour into any rocket engine to make it work? And there's only the one? So, I just add any random tank to hold my anti-matter?

Ah, yes. There is no anti-matter. Or fusion. Or even fission! No pulse- or scram-engines. Or anything else that doesn't just burns Liquid Fuel.

Fortunately, there is the Near Future mod, KSP Interstellar (for the very high-power stuff) and a lot of others. And they don't work together. Mostly because there are no common resources, and they all use a different power level.

Sure, there is a Common Resource Pack, a Common Tech Tree and more, and most of those mods promise they support them. But all in their own way, so there is nearly no sharing of resources.

If you install three mods that all use water, you probably have three different, non-interchangeable resources, all with the name "water". And a few that use "H2O".

So, when you are getting bored by stacking components at random to see them explode, and actually want to do things, like, explore the solar system, it all breaks down and becomes very frustrating.

Which is my own fault, as I try to play a realistic simulation, while the designers mostly want to create pretty explosions.

Severian Silk

Building rockets and watching them explode is the fun part of the game.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Unity.

That's what it does with your games. Makes them slow, buggy and unexplicably shitty.

We told you but you would not listen.

Drax

Arcane
After re-installing, re-modding and re-playing every release, I've learned to just focus on a small set of must-have mods instead of trying to install and make work all of the cool mods I'd like to try (pretty much all of them).

Self-Ejected

Yuri Gagarin

Self-Ejected
It's because
mexican-flag.jpg

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If anything I hate the looks of kerbals, they don't look cute but seriously retarded cartoon monsters.

If there is a mod for changing their features available, I might consider obtaining this game. Why not have abstract spacemen like space engineers?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
i love kerbals they are so funny just look at them
shareimage.jpg

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I guess it is funny for 40 year old guys who like bronies. KSP should have started a realistic branch years ago. I usually just dont look at the kerbals any more, otherwise it's totally retarded. Squad is either a company made up of retards or who treats their customers like retards, or both.

vean

Scholar
If anything I hate the looks of kerbals, they don't look cute but seriously retarded cartoon monsters.

If there is a mod for changing their features available, I might consider obtaining this game. Why not have abstract spacemen like space engineers?
Because the whole theme of the game is that kerbals are suicidal goofballs.

Beastro

Arcane
You can always install "Diverse Kerbals" (iirc) so'll you have dindus and japs to blow up.

Oh God, these exist?

Shows how fucking racist these diversity people are when they have to throw this into a damn game with little green people that have no relation to real ones beyond their overall shape.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Because the whole theme of the game is that kerbals are suicidal goofballs.
That's a fair point, I reckon. However Kerbals look so repulsive that I don't feel any sympathy whatsoever towards them but rather see them burn, it sort of defeats the purpose of attempting a successful liftoff in the first place, wouldn't you agree?

In general, as soon as devs start adding too many details to supposedly goofy characters, I think they go astray (cf. Gang beasts)

SymbolicFrank

Magister
It would also help if you could actually discuss any of the mentioned problems on their forum without getting lynched by the fanboys. There is no constructive mod feedback for the same reason: discussions with the creators get swamped by fanboys threatening you to be nice to their hero.

Then again, that might be because of the large volume of people posting things like: "It doesn't work!", without telling how they expect it to work. Which is not surprising, because nobody is telling them how it should work.

Data4

Arcane

Harpsichord

Arcane
What are you talking about? The game gives you specs for every single piece that you put on the rocket. You can do calculations by hand using that information to see exactly how it will perform.

If you have problem with piloting in the game, you also have a problem with understanding the engineering and math, because the latter will naturally inform the former. In the vast majority of cases you are just setting up the appropriate parabolic arc and then applying thrust at the appropriate bearing to slow down or speed up. It puts markers on the gimble ffs.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can somebody help me run this game?

kony@kony-T430:~$ /home/kony/sda2/games/steamapps/common/Kerbal\ Space\ Program//KSP.x86_64
Found path: /home/kony/sda2/games/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program//KSP.x86_64
Mono path[0] = '/home/kony/sda2/games/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program//KSP_Data/Managed'
Mono path[1] = '/home/kony/sda2/games/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program//KSP_Data/Mono'
Mono config path = '/home/kony/sda2/games/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program//KSP_Data/Mono/etc'
displaymanager : xrandr version warning. 1.5
displaymanager : trying .X11-unix
client :0 has 1 screens
displaymanager screen (0): 1600 x 900
Using libudev for joystick management

Importing game controller configs
Aborted (core dumped)

vean

Scholar
There might be more clues in ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log

VladimirK

Learned
Can somebody help me run this game?

kony@kony-T430:~$ /home/kony/sda2/games/steamapps/common/Kerbal\ Space\ Program//KSP.x86_64
Found path: /home/kony/sda2/games/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program//KSP.x86_64
Mono path[0] = '/home/kony/sda2/games/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program//KSP_Data/Managed'
Mono path[1] = '/home/kony/sda2/games/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program//KSP_Data/Mono'
Mono config path = '/home/kony/sda2/games/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program//KSP_Data/Mono/etc'
displaymanager : xrandr version warning. 1.5
displaymanager : trying .X11-unix
client :0 has 1 screens
displaymanager screen (0): 1600 x 900
Using libudev for joystick management

Importing game controller configs
Aborted (core dumped)

try this:

$ gdb /home/kony/sda2/games/steamapps/common/Kerbal\ Space\ Program//KSP.x86_64
> run
(wait till it core dumps)
> bt

This will print the backtrace, hopefully providing some hints.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom