Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kerbal Space Program

Prime Junta

Preparing a grand Jool mission. It has three parts, with a fourth under consideration, all following my general "don't build for missions, build for the capability to do missions" philosophy:

(1) The Base. This includes a station, two high-power relays, an ISRU with surveyor, prospector, and tanker, and a lander that's capable of hitting Vall, Bop, and Pol. Everything reusable. I sent a prototype to Minmus to test it, and while I did make a few refinements it's working fine.
(2) The Perfectly Safe Tylo Landing System. This is the most stripped-down reusable kerbaled lander I've been able to come up with, including only the core four science experiments (temperature, pressure, gravioli, seismic). It's powered by a single Dart, and has Jeb sitting in an external command chair. I have a Skipper-powered orbiter module which will give an assist: it will shave about 500 m/s off the orbital velocity before powering back to orbit to wait for pickup. The lander itself has about 5300 m/s. I tried this in Kerbin orbit -- go to 100 km, then brake to 0 surface velocity at 70 km, then "launch" back to 100 km. This design worked. My previous one was even lighter -- Terrier-powered -- but it didn't have the TWR to do it; it only stopped at around 20 km altitude. It's 100% recoverable. It burns a massive amount of fuel but that's what the ISRU is for.
(3) Plane to Laythe. Already did that once in a previous lifetime, so should be easy-peasy.
(4) Under consideration: Rover to Tylo. This would be an un-kerbaled, one-way mission. Rovers ought to work really well there and even though I won't be able to recover it, I should be able to radio back massive amounts of Science. And I should have enough relays around Jool that it's controllable most of the time.

With the Sci brought back from the latest Duna missions I was able to buy Experimental Electrics, so I replaced some fuel cells with RTGs where appropriate. Placed them close to the crew compartments so my kerbals can stay nice and warm!

Here's my new heavy lifter, the Rukh, lifting the prototype Base all in one go. That's a funny plane by the way -- I appear to have made it passively safe on re-entry. When it enters the atmosphere it settles into a steep 60-degree AoA and won't budge whatever I do; when it's around 20k altitude it'll transition to normal flight, which means a steep dive as it'll only be going at about 200 m/s, but no problem at all to recover from. So to re-enter I basically set Pe to 55k, point it at the sky, go have a drink, and take the controls when it's flying normally again. I have no idea why it's doing that. It's a pretty nice plane otherwise too, only problem is that thrust torque gets annoying to control towards the end of the burn. And those Jumbo parts overheat easily; it could hit 1500 m/s under airbreathing power easily but the tailfin explodes around 1400 so I have to hold back a little. Even so it lifts heavy loads to orbit nicely, that one was maybe 140 tons.

fXgPOzk.jpg

Prime Junta

Almost ready to go. Here's Jool Station all wrapped up with a ribbon on top. The boosters double as tankers, ferrying fuel between my ISRU and my missions. In particular, see Perfectly Safe Tylo Landing System below.

Jo5kP4O.jpg

And here's my latest invention, the Perfectly Safe Tylo Landing System. It's a reusable system for landing on Tylo, and coming back.

tQXswed.jpg

Jeb will be sitting in a command chair on top of that wedding cake of a lander. The orbital module will give an assist of about 500 m/s and then power back up; then Jeb will ... land. I tried it in Kerbin orbit and I managed the Tylo test with hundreds of m/s to spare -- I started from 100 km, then hit 0 m/s relative to the surface at 70 km, then powered back up to 100 km orbit. Easy-peasy!

On the nose of the PSTLS is an atomic rover that will go down in its own launch; it won't be coming back but should be able to survive indefinitely and transmit back gobs of sweet Science.

And here's Valentina Kerman on her way to Laythe. She will RV in orbit with another craft, a glorified booster with some crew capacity and a science can, which I will eventually use to bring the gang back.

NTFpX83.jpg

Prime Junta

A'ight, everybody's parked around the Jolian moons.

Had a bit of an incident though: a kraken ate the radio-thermal generator on my surveyor probe. Had to reload a previous save where it was still there.

9NZoiIf.png

The two orange lines are from my high-power relays that talk to Kerbin, they're around Laythe and Pol. The PSTLS is orbiting Tylo, the Laytheabout, Laythe, the ISRU and surveyor, Bop, and Jool Station itself, Vall.

3eEgkIm.png

Next on the agenda is setting up my fuel refinery. Both the Tylo drop and the Laythe visit will need a top-up; without it I'll have to settle for a Vall visit and dropping a rover to Tylo. But other than the mysteriously disappearing RTG everything is going smoothly. There was a close call when Kerbin was eclipsed by the Sun -- if it had happened just some hours earlier I would've lost probe control just as I wanted to park it. But dodged that bullet.

I am thinking though that it might've been a better idea to tow an asteroid into a more accessible orbit and mine fuel from that; moving around the Jool system is expensive and also kinda complicated because of the gravity pinball.

Prime Junta

Yeaaah.

The Perfectly Safe Tylo Landing System had enough fuel after all.

BItzJN9.jpg

Fuel production is in full swing though. First shipment will go to Laytheabout as she's lacking just a little bit of what's needed to make it back to orbit with a small margin of error. Jool Station has enough to make one visit to Vall surface.

3Wk5ZjI.png

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Almost ready to go. Here's Jool Station all wrapped up with a ribbon on top. The boosters double as tankers, ferrying fuel between my ISRU and my missions. In particular, see Perfectly Safe Tylo Landing System below.
Jo5kP4O.jpg

That Sir looks amazing, like a triple penis!! :5/5:

Prime Junta

This Jool mission is incredibly satisfying.

Things I would do differently should I do it again, which I won't:

(1) Surface attach everything instead of using utility bays to make things look tidy. There's clearly a kraken that east clipped parts. I've stowed some stuff inside utility bays and, without meaning to, must have clipped them. So far I've lost a RTG and a science return can. (For the RTG I had to go back to a previous save as it was on a mission-critical component).
(2) Make a better ISRU unit. Mine works fine but is pretty inefficient. I've got a better design now and really wish it was up there on Bop rather than in my garage. Now I'll have to do a Moho or Kerbol mission in the meantime to wait for my tanker to fill up.
(3) Be more careful computing fuel requirements for the Laytheabout. I was just a little short, and that would have been easily remedied with a slightly bigger booster/return craft and/or an in-orbit refuel before departure. Now I have to wait for the ISRU to do its thing before I can do that part.
(4) Put some simple science devices on my relays, ISRU, and surveyor. As it is they're sitting on or around Bop and Pol and could happily transmit back a nice bit of Sci if only they had gathered any. (I normally do this but for some reason I didn't this time around.)

Burning Bridges thanks. I did iterate the bejeezus out of this mission, including doing several passes on packaging it into a payload. This one worked really well, the CoM is close to the attach point, it was easy to loft with no aerodynamic difficulties, reconfiguring it during the mission was pretty simple, and there was relatively little waste -- just the fairings and the three interstage components (the centre one I used to attach it to the Rukh heavy lifter, and the conical ones behind the fairings carrying the probes and landers). It wasn't trivial because I had to get both the centre of mass and the aerodynamics right, and the payload is inherently asymmetric -- two high-power relays to port, two landers and a probe to starboard.

But yeah, it's amazing what a difference that made -- I lofted a prototype to Minmus earlier using the same plane, and (1) it was a lot hairier to do and (2) I ended up eating into the payload's fuel. Point (2) was the main reason I did all that aerodynamics and mass distribution polish. It worked, this time I made orbit with full tanks on the payload and fuel to spare.

I want to do something simple in the interim. I'm working on a little ion probe to do a sun dive (and come back for recovery), and made a tiny little plane to take it to orbit. I've got a design that looks perfectly workable, the only problem is that the ejection burn would take nearly an hour (!) so I'd need to split it into several shorter burns, and I don't think I have the patience for that, even with physics warp. So I'm still thinking. But I would like to do something small for a change, after this megalomaniac Jool invasion.

Prime Junta

Ahhh fuck this game.

I set myself up for a world of hurt by putting that mining operation on Bop instead of Vall. I knew it was kind of far and on an inclined orbit but I figured I'd just slingshot off Laythe or Tylo to get there and back cheap.

And it works.

In theory.

In practice it's an utter nightmare to set up and totally not my idea of fun.

Vall would have been a much better choice despite the deeper gravity well. I would have needed to redesign my tankers so they can take off properly though; the Pol design of having just a couple small attitude control jets at the nose and a big reaction wheel at the back would not have been sufficient to point them at the sky.

Prime Junta

Behold the grace, elegance, and majesty of...

JUNO MIDGE.

pi8WjqW.jpg

It will pull 10 gees without breaking a sweat.

It will accelerate straight up.

zcEm5m7.jpg

It laughs at bush landings and take-offs.

LtvScg4.jpg

It can land in water...

NTPjB1b.jpg

... and take to the air again.

0CNclo4.jpg

iqXbUKV.jpg

It is JUNO MIDGE, the Laythe Prospector Drone. Nine hundred kilograms of raw untamed POWER.

I think I won the game. I found a practical application for the Juno basic jet engine -- off-world, no less. I firmly intend to bring it to Laythe, where I intend to set up a better, bigger, more efficient and above all more accessible fuel refinery. This is the prospector. I have the mobile ISRU and delivery system for both all figured out too, but I'm most proud of this little fellow.

Prime Junta

Nice, looks like an early XX century experimental plane.

Yeah it is very cute.

Twist is, it's controlled like a Segway, with those reaction wheels. With control set to the docking port and SAS to surface/radial out, it'll stay on that single landing gear perfectly. Landings are easy, I just switch to that before touching down and watch it bounce to a stop. The aerodynamic surfaces are there only for lift and stability. And it is ridiculously agile, those reaction wheels will just rip it out of whatever it's doing and point it anywhere I want.

It works OK even without the tailfin, I just have to coordinate manually as it won't do it by itself. Atmosphere Autopilot does do it, but it gets very unhappy when I switch control to the docking port so it's better not to use it. Anyway, this little baby is FUN, even if it's firmly from the "can't believe this worked" file.

Prime Junta

Today the kerbal gods were not with me.

I'm lifting up the components of Laythe Kosmodrome, and things are just not working out. Had all kinds of gremlins, some due to carelessness/bad planning from me, others probably krakens or just mysterious.

I uprated my Pelican flatbed lifter to be able to loft some actual loads to orbit, so I could get rid of a dedicated tanker plane and just make a wheeled surface tanker instead. I sent that to orbit with my ISRU and JUNO MIDGE. To get it to Jool, I need to refuel it and add a big ol' drop tank of fuel. That's when things started to go seriously wrong. In the end, a chunk of wing + engine pod just spontaneoulsy came off my heavy lifter when I undocked the payload. I tried re-entering with the crippled plane but it went into an uncontrollable high-gee spin and lost the rest of the wing, hitting the water at about 270 m/s. RIP Valgas Kerman, you died a hero.

Edit: Valgas is safe through the magick of quickload. I remembered that the engine pods on the Rukh are on pylons which are detachable, so I got rid of the other engine, charged up the batteries from an orbital tug, and eventually ended up back on the KSC runway, minus two engine pods and a chunk of wing.

Mw9ekJ3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Prime Junta

The Laythe Kosmodrome is open for business. Feels good when you come back from orbit with 29 m/s to spare, and do a perfect dead-stick landing that leaves you parked next to the rest of the gang.

aBYNIs3.jpg

(They're all flat on their belly because of a particularly annoying bug in 1.3.1 -- if you leave a plane on its landing gear, switch away, and switch back, it has a tendency to leap high, high into the air and suffer a rapid unplanned disassembly.)

There is only one thing missing from this good Kommunist Kosmodrome. Namely, a tractor. I'm sending one up in the next transfer window.

In the meantime, I decided to do a quick and easy one-way probe/glider mission to Eve.

tzxTLbR.jpg

Eve was not amused.

7j0Iw3x.jpg

Prime Junta

My second attempt at probing Eve. Phallic enough for your tastes Burning Bridges?

defQwuy.png

Meanwhile at the Kosmodrome, the Massive-Kerguson has been delivered and production targets have been immediately exceeded by over 300%.

GGizjI1.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom