Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Just started a new Wizardry 8 run...

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Actually, I've used many samurais with just 1 hand and no shield, preferring 2 handed weapons.

DraQ

Arcane
Why not?

Even with 2W samurais I usually go through 1W period when getting rid of 2W malus gives me extra attack. I usually use shield, though, but shields don't make that much of a difference in Wiz8, so having an empty hand would work as well and you wouldn't have to sink points into 2W skill.
Still harder to develop than Valk, though, Valk can just polearm, CC *AND* magic skill.

I usually use shield, though, but shields don't make that much of a difference in Wiz8 (...)
Call me a LARPing fag if you will, but even though samurai with *light* *shield* is fairly popular build, I simply can't imagine samurai using shields EVER.

:rpgcodex:

As for valk - since I usually stick with 2 bishops (no alchemist and rarely bard), she's the one that gets mythology pumped a little :)

DraQ

Arcane
Call me a LARPing fag if you will, but even though samurai with *light* *shield* is fairly popular build, I simply can't imagine samurai using shields EVER.

:rpgcodex:
That's why I'm lobbying for shields to be off limits for samurai in that Wiz8 mod.
Still, as long as they aren't I can put something in the offhand.

Shame about not being able to combine ranged and melee weapons at the same time.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Samurai that use shields aren't Samurai. Isn't using a shield considered highly dishonorable or something?

Echo Mirage

Arcane
When it came to personal combat the samurai were all about attack with defense being seen as weak (the fear of death) and the use of a shield being seen in some forms of Bushido as cowardly.

uaciaut

Augur
Slightly off-topic but can anyone recommend me some mods for this game? I know that there are quite a few out there, some that change things significantly, i'm looking mainly for some light stuff to touch op my game play since i'm replaying the game after a long time. I think last time i played with something that restored some content, like some cut gadgets or such? Anyone have any recommendations?

edit: i think it was flamestryke's mod that added some content (mostly items)and such.

Last edited:

TigerKnee

Arcane
All that shit about Samurai being HONURABU came way later AFTER all the civil war and infighting stopped and Samurais essentially became civil servants more concerned about street cred.

When they were actually involved in having to kill shit, they sure are hell didn't care about honor. Plus they used a lot more bows and polearms than they did swords.

uaciaut

Augur
Would me asking what items are restricted by gender be considered spoiler? Bear in mind that i'm using Kaucukovink's mod btw.

Locket of reflection, necklace of endurance (both with +1 stam regen), some skirts and all bras.
That's pretty much it, afaik first two are made wearable by males in Kaucukovnik's mod (haven't downloaded it yet, but you can change gender restrictions in cosmic forge ;) ).

Oh, and diamond ring from Wiz7.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I tested the necklace and locket in Kaucukovink's mod, locket is the one that's supposed to be changed to unisex and I can confirm that it works, necklace is still female only.

uaciaut

Augur
Going a bit off-topic again but how much should i invest in pick pocket with my ninja? I'm already pretty extended with what skills i should get on him - probably going to focus crit strike, a bit in dual wielding and let CC and staff rise on their own, have to get some points in alchemy as well. Pick pocket and alchemy are the only things to help you with finance iirc, and since my bishop and ninja get alchemy a bit later not sure how to deal with pick pocketing in general.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Pick Pocket is worthless after the patch, and you probably won't find any pre-patch versions of Wiz 8 floating around.

It's even more worthless on Ninjas who are already super hard-up on skill points to distribute (as opposed to classes like Rogues who only need a few core skills to shine).

So the answer is "0 points in Pickpocket"

IMO PP isn't that cool of a skill to be bothered with. What really nice can you get thanks to it? Second diamond eyes? And you're playing ninja, which should stick with crits, dual wielding, throwing and melee-weapon-you-want, but let it raise on your own. And alchemy. Jesus.

So fuck pickpocketing.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
It's why I have an original unpatched version of Wiz 8 (got it when it first came out 10+ years ago).
After the patch, pickpocketing became just god fucking awful.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
As this is a the most fresh Wiz8 thread, i'll ask here. I'm giving a solo play a try. Having a single rogue cat-man. It was hard in the beginning, but i quickly rose my stealth on the lone ''soft crab'' at the very first beach to 70 or smth and now it's over 90. Feel very comfortable in melee fights with the 18th level rogue with 100 in speed and dexterity and 90smth senses with close combat/sword/dagger/dual well over 70. One problem that i cannot think of solution to is non existent resistance to magic. I know there some places i can buy a scroll of magi-resist and all, but i don't like using scrolls and it's not a good solution anyway. I can single handedly kill strong mobs with my bloodlust and thieves dagger without ever having to use a single health potion (though stamina ones need to be guzzled like there's no tomorrow), but even mediocre spellcaster makes everything shit. Being constantly blinded/paralized/etc makes every fight with spell wielding foes a russian roulette. I've played the game many times, but don't remember if there were a god set of items (armor/amulets) that give awesome magic protection. If there was, remind me plz. If not - are there any alternate solutions?

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Also, does anyone know if it's possible to ''loose'' chaos moliri? I retrieved it from mooks in the usual way, but now when i look into my inventory it isn't there. Obviously, i didn't place it in any container or smth. Could it be a bug?

uaciaut

Augur
IMO PP isn't that cool of a skill to be bothered with. What really nice can you get thanks to it? Second diamond eyes? And you're playing ninja, which should stick with crits, dual wielding, throwing and melee-weapon-you-want, but let it raise on your own. And alchemy. Jesus.

So fuck pickpocketing.

You get tons of spellbooks for free for your bishop who wants to save his spell-learning slots for high level spells + you make more money off of it.

Is there a way to make enough money to afford both that many spell books + good gear for your party? (playing with wiz8 enhancements so alchemy is at least slightly nerfed)

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I used to use pickpocketing to fill my pockets with mother fucking loot from Antone and other vendors (getting the ultra rare raven's bill early on for Vi Domina? Yes mother fucking please!). But then the patch went through, and it was some awful shit you could only pickpocket from people.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Is there a way to make enough money to afford both that many spell books + good gear for your party? (playing with wiz8 enhancements so alchemy is at least slightly nerfed)
The key word here is slightly. Time spent sleeping and buying potions from shops is way less valuable than precious skill points, especially for skills that can't be easily grind.

I wouldn't train Alchemy on a Ninja (unless I planned to Knock-Knock Grind), but assuming an Alchemist/Bishop/MAYBE Ranger, you want to raise Alchemy anyway so "getting $$$" is a nice bonus. Putting points into pickpocketing for the sole purpose of gaining $$$ is lame.

If you want gear you should really be finding most of your gear anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom