Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Just started a new Wizardry 8 run...

Xi

Arcane
Got Cane of Corpus and hit level 22 on my fairy ninja. She is at the altar (but needs a sacrifice (gonna recruit a male)). My only regret is passing on some of the glorious items I'm seeing. Seems like Samurai definitely has some amazing gear they can use ;P

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
The swamp wasn't bad at first, but once I started venturing up into Marten's Bluff (which ROFL-stomped my level 10-11 characters) now it seems like every millipede and viper frog ever spawned is constantly coming after me.

:rage: indeed.

Question: Why does Chameleon not seem to do a damned thing?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
One thing I was doing wrong (and please correct me if this is incorrect) was to use Wiz8fast to increase creatures' speed. That's great during combat, but out of combat it appears to have drastically sped them up as well, hampering my previous ability to evade most monsters easily.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Try killing all the monsters for now, you need to get Portal spells for your wizard(s) and clear Marten's bluff. Then you'll be able to travel around the world much easier and retreat with Return spell for R&R.

DraQ

Arcane
One thing I was doing wrong (and please correct me if this is incorrect) was to use Wiz8fast to increase creatures' speed. That's great during combat, but out of combat it appears to have drastically sped them up as well, hampering my previous ability to evade most monsters easily.
Never had such problems with Wiz8fast and it would definitely be visible because I have in combat movement speed set to mental pace.

Xi

Arcane
Christ on a cracker! What's it take for a female faerie Ninja to get a vampire bat wing up in this bitch!?

Gregz

Arcane
Never had such problems with Wiz8fast and it would definitely be visible because I have in combat movement speed set to mental pace.

He's complaining about out of combat MOB roaming speeds.

DraQ

Arcane

He's complaining about out of combat MOB roaming speeds.
And I'm saying that I would definitely notice problems with out of combat MOB roaming speeds if it was Wiz8fast's fault, because I have the in combat speed multiplier set to fucking slapstick (25x, I think).

Xi

Arcane
I haven't noticed a difference with move speeds out of combat, and I got the slider (in Wiz 8 Fast) maxed.

Also:

Itzcoming_zpsf3e5dd61.jpg

Xi

Arcane
I think I just picked it up and havent done anything with it yet. My character is pretty much invincible at this point. I haven't used a potion in a while. I don't even need superman or haste either. She does insane damage anyway (instant kills constantly). Her only real weakness is against spell casters, but iron will + elemental shield makes even those guys useless.

Used that dead priest early to raise stealth on the crabs then I let him die. I've resurrected him a couple times for fun. I defeated some foes with him alive and he gaine like 7 levels in a row, lol. ;P

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I'm finding a much easier time in the area leading up to the mines right now. Much less frustrating than the Bluff or the other higher-level area you can get to from the swamp, the one with the crazy spellcasting reptile things. Lord, they were tough.

I have no idea what to expect within the mines themselves, but that's half the fun.

I don't like level-scaling, never will, but in this game, not being in the "right area" according to what your levels are can be an excrutiatingly frustrating experience.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Yeah, but it's still fun as hell.
I often found it more terrifying, having to outrun fire ants and those goddamn napalm lizards or whatever they were.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wizardry 8 uses level scaling, most times in a intelligent way unlike Oblivion.

Monsters are scaled to the party level; higher level parties will face different sets of monsters than a lower level party in the same area.
The scaling is limited to allow variation in difficulty.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, that's what I meant: Wiz 8 uses like a plateaued level-scaling, capping out in certain areas, but being completely non-forgiving in others. e.g. My entering into the Bluff at only level 10 or so. Not good.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Crispy - take some time to get better gear, learn some new skills, level up, come back to the Bluff later.

Zetor

Arcane
IIRC the mine tunnel zone is much easier than Marten's Bluff and the swamp... and it gives you access to some very good gear, too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom