Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Just picked up KOTOR 1&2; recommendations?

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Just picked up KOTOR 1 and 2 during the Steam sale. I've somehow never played either of these games before. Do you guys have any recommendations on builds? Or possibly any worthwhile mods?

TripJack

Hedonist
dont play 1

if you have to play 2 use the restoration mod

build doesnt matter combat in kotor has no depth or challenge to it whatsoever

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Play both of them,don't believe these dumbfucks.Both of them are good games,Kotor 2 has a much darker vibe than Kotor 1 and the characters are more fleshed out and it delivers a much more deeper experience ,but Kotor 1 really feels like your usual Star Wars cliche bullshit movie with your generic character like Crap Solo and such,wich is good right ?
If you like the Star Wars universe i think both of them deserves 1 or 2 playthroughs.

I enjoyed both games and still do after all these years.

Play Kotor 1 for standard but enjoyable Star Wars adventure. Then play the sequel for a well written deconstruction of the universe (install restoration mod). Both of them are story oriented games, combat is not so good, but have nice lightsaber fighting animations. Good soundtrack on both.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'll take the opportunity to voice my incredibly retarded controversial opinion, never voiced before by me on the Codex, that Kotor 1 is better than Kotor 2. Make sure to play both and then report back to give your impressions and call me a faggot.

Its been a few years since I replayed it but if I remember correctly, I held off promoting my character past level 6 or 7 in Kotor 1, for story related reasons.

I'll take the opportunity to voice my incredibly retarded controversial opinion, never voiced before by me on the Codex, that Kotor 1 is better than Kotor 2. Make sure to play both and then report back to give your impressions and call me a faggot.

Its been a few years since I replayed it but if I remember correctly, I held off promoting my character past level 6 or 7 in Kotor 1, for story related reasons.

:mob:

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
Start with KOTOR 1.

Also there is a small thing with character creation and the classes you pick, i'll put a spoiler tag on it, as it's a part of the story as well, but nothing you wouldn't be able to figure out before playing. It isn't a big thing, but I kind of wish I had known it before playing the game, as i restarted once I got to that point in the game. If you're only after the story, then don't read the spoilers, if you're into character creation and perfecting your character , and don't plan to play it several times, then you might want to look.

At a certain point in the game, you get to become a Jedi and that introduces a new class. You're only able to reach a certain level in the game, so some people prefer to not level up too much at the start of the game in the starter classes, so that they can put more levels into their jedi classes.

Mychkine

Educated
Play both games. Kotor 1 is classical Star Wars well done, with a few annoying characters but a good epic vibe. Kotor 2 can be played at least two times, one time as a light side character, one time as a dark side character. There are actual differences between the two options and, for once, playing dark side doesn't meen playing a psychopathic idiot with sadistic tendences or some other awkward teenager fantasies.

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Start with KOTOR 1.

Also there is a small thing with character creation and the classes you pick, i'll put a spoiler tag on it, as it's a part of the story as well, but nothing you wouldn't be able to figure out before playing. It isn't a big thing, but I kind of wish I had known it before playing the game, as i restarted once I got to that point in the game.

At a certain point in the game, you get to become a Jedi and that introduces a new class. You're only able to reach a certain level in the game, so some people prefer to not level up too much at the start of the game in the starter classes, so that they can put more levels into their jedi classes.

Thanks for the tip. I probably would have restarted as well. Thaqt's going to save me some frustration

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
Start with KOTOR 1.

Also there is a small thing with character creation and the classes you pick, i'll put a spoiler tag on it, as it's a part of the story as well, but nothing you wouldn't be able to figure out before playing. It isn't a big thing, but I kind of wish I had known it before playing the game, as i restarted once I got to that point in the game.

Thanks for the tip. I probably would have restarted as well. Thaqt's going to save me some frustration

If i remember right, you're able to reach level 20. So if you only level up to 2-4 (what I do) then you'll be able to hit level 16-18 in the Jedi level. If you complete all quests and level up normally, you'll be around level 7-9 when you are able to pick a Jedi class, meaning you'll only be able to reach level 11-13 in the Jedi class. It's not as important if you want to be a melee, but if you want to focus on Jedi powers, you'll want to get as many levels into your Jedi class as possible.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Not much point in build recommendations as the combat in both games is trivial. KotOR was novel because there wasn't much in the way of RPGs set in the Star Wars prior to that time, but the separation between light side and dark side choices is extremely juvenile (chaotic evil Saturday morning cartoon murderer vs. shallow altrusitic angel) and the characters are beyond annoying (e.g. Bastila is bitchy tsundere type for male character, Carth IIRC is the same but for females).

You should have bought Serpent in the Staglands, Battle Brothers, Age of Decadence, or Underrail.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
Not much point in build recommendations as the combat in both games is trivial. KotOR was novel because there wasn't much in the way of RPGs set in the Star Wars prior to that time, but the separation between light side and dark side choices is extremely juvenile (chaotic evil Saturday morning cartoon murderer vs. shallow altrusitic angel) and the characters are beyond annoying (e.g. Bastila is bitchy tsundere type for male character, Carth IIRC is the same but for females).

You should have bought Serpent in the Staglands, Battle Brothers, Age of Decadence, or Underrail.

You're telling someone to buy Simcity instead of Heroes of Might and Magic. They are completely different games. Kotor is nothing like Underrail, it's like saying "Don't play Dark souls, play Age of Decadence!". Apples and oranges my frined.

Mozg

Arcane
Every time KotOR comes up, I want everyone to remember another thing about the context for KotOR being considered good: It came out between prequels, when almost every nerd in the world was butt-staggered by how shitty they were and then KotOR comes out with a good old fashioned Star Wars handjob

As far as mods I replayed KotOR2 a little while before they came out with that surprise patch, but there was a tool to give it widescreen that also had entries for K1. You also had to download new UI graphics someone made that wouldn't be all fucked up by widescreen.

Ninjerk

Arcane

You're telling someone to buy Simcity instead of Heroes of Might and Magic. They are completely different games. Kotor is nothing like Underrail, it's like saying "Don't play Dark souls, play Age of Decadence!". Apples and oranges my frined.
KotOR 1 is an M.Night Shymalan plot wrapped in mediocre combat and roleplaying systems. KotOR 2 is a thoughtful deconstruction of Star Wars tropes with dialogue improvements made in the mold of the aforementioned mediocre combat system. Serpent in the Staglands has a better narrative than the first and treats the player like an adult with respect to exploring the game world; the combat systems are not exactly a wash, either. Age of Decadence has superior CnC, character building mechanics, and combat mechanics as well as roleplaying systems in dialogue (hard to separate from character building here). Battle Brothers has far superior party-based combat mechanics than any similar game I have ever played (leaning towards wargaming)--this might be the only legitimate comparison you made here. Underrail has far superior combat and character building options (possibly dialogue as well, though I haven't played it far enough to say with confidence).

All of the games I mentioned are either in development or recently released (and thus ripe for development in further installments), are better in at least one way (short of the license), and don't contribute money to known decline-enablers.

In short, you are an imbecile without wit or insight.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron

KotOR 1 is an M.Night Shymalan plot wrapped in mediocre combat and roleplaying systems. KotOR 2 is a thoughtful deconstruction of Star Wars tropes with dialogue improvements made in the mold of the aforementioned mediocre combat system. Serpent in the Staglands has a better narrative than the first and treats the player like an adult with respect to exploring the game world; the combat systems are not exactly a wash, either. Age of Decadence has superior CnC, character building mechanics, and combat mechanics as well as roleplaying systems in dialogue (hard to separate from character building here). Battle Brothers has far superior party-based combat mechanics than any similar game I have ever played (leaning towards wargaming)--this might be the only legitimate comparison you made here. Underrail has far superior combat and character building options (possibly dialogue as well, though I haven't played it far enough to say with confidence).

All of the games I mentioned are either in development or recently released (and thus ripe for development in further installments), are better in at least one way (short of the license), and don't contribute money to known decline-enablers.

In short, you are an imbecile without wit or insight.

Fallout is better than those games you mentioned, so he shouldn't play them. See how stupid this sounds?

Kotor 2 is one of the few games that I could not complete when I bought it, it was that bug ridden and lacked half of the content. Kotor 2 was worse than Bloodlines or even Arcanum, it was unplayable. Yes there is an unofficial patch, and while it does help a lot, it's still a mediocre game with somewhat good dialogues and story. It's like Planescape Torment, just worse in every single way.

Ninjerk

Arcane
A few years ago I would agree with you, but we're not talking about buying games in an era where no one is making good RPGs. If one were to buy Fallout, their money goes to Bethesda and the funding of more Fallout 4s. I would not hesitate to recommend any of the aforementioned Early Access games before purchasing Fallout. I might recommend it before AoD, but none of this is the point.

As for the cost of the games, if $3 is what you have I guess you could have done worse, OP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom