Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

JRPG OST thread

Vorark

Erudite
After all these years, still gives me goosebumps. It's the CC opening cinematic theme. Mitsuda at his best.

Is relevant to the correct way to beat the final boss. A beautiful callback to Chrono Trigger.

It's a different tune, have a tribunal feeling. Plays during a couple of arena quests, I think.

Always gets pshyched when the music starts. Time to kick ass (or get your ass kicked)!

A bit melancholic, have an otherwordly feel. One of the best songs of the marvelous Okami soundtrack.

(I know MH and Okami aren't jrpgs but the songs are good ;))

Last edited:

Vorark

Erudite
MOAR, couldn't put everything together

Song plays when you fly around the world map. It's super relaxing, I remember turning the PS2 on and then would just fly towards the sunset.

I've never played the original Nier (nor Automata) and have no idea what it's about. However, the songs all feel ominous.

Yuzo Koshiro; nothing else needs to be said. I prefer the PC88 versions, though.

(couldn't find the original EOIII version)

Last edited:

Hyperion

Arcane

Always one of my favorites as well. Loved that Uematsu reprised some of the themes with Seth's Theme in Lost Odyssey

A favorite boss tune from a favorite game of mine. Before Motoi Sakuraba started mailing it in with every Tales of... entry.

It's pretty much unfair, but no JRPG music thread can be complete without...

...No way in Hell you didn't run around Guardia Castle for like 5 minutes after rescuing Leene just savoring this tune as a kid.

Last edited:

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
I love this song:

At 0:14 it gets so fucking amazing.

Sick song. Looked it up and both Kenji Ito and Nobuo Uematsu worked on this soundtrack. I honestly can't tell which one wrote it because Uematsu is so versatile, but something tells me this might be Kenji Ito.

It sounds like It's a Sin by the Pet Shop Boys.

Use spoiler tags.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Some music from SNES versions of Wizardry 1-3.

(This track is the music that plays when you leave the town menu: EDGE OF TOWN MEDLEY)

(This track is the music that plays when you bring up the camp menu: CAMP MEDLEY)

-
Some music from the orchestral soundtracks of the Wizardry remakes for Playstation.

(This track is the really nice melody that plays in the shop in Wiz 5 PS1 version: TRADING POST MEDLEY)

-
Wizardry 5 Orchestral OST from Playstation version:

(This track is the awesome brass and trumpets that thunders on the 1st Dungeon Floor of Wiz 4 PS1 version: MAZE #1)

Here is a link to the full orchestral OST of the PS1 remakes of Wizardry 4 and 5:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
This is the orchestral OST for Wizardry 1-3 remakes for the SEGA SATURN (same OST used in PS1 versions as well):

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The best battle theme in the series after Silver Will.

The most :love: song in the series.

The best dungeon theme.

Not exactly an RPG but belongs here by Codex standards :love:

Underrated game.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
I'm not going to listen to all these tracks. The worst thing is scrolling down a topic and seeing like 400 Youtube videos that I will never listen to. People should post one or two videos, talk about why I should listen to them or what's good about them or something interesting about them, instead of dumping 6 videos without any commentary.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I dunno Ive clicked on at least 80% of posted videos so far mostly to judge OST quality. For eample now I know first-hand Koudelka OST sucks balls and do not have to play the game to find that out.

Delterius

Arcane
I love you all.

I'm not going to listen to all these tracks. The worst thing is scrolling down a topic and seeing like 400 Youtube videos that I will never listen to. People should post one or two videos, talk about why I should listen to them or what's good about them or something interesting about them, instead of dumping 6 videos without any commentary.
Here's an idea. What if people link one 'promo' of the soundtrack. Maybe its their favorite music. Talk a bit about the game itself and then put all the runner ups in spoilers, just in case the reader enjoys the overall style?

Soul Nomad is probably my favorite Nippon Ichi game since Disgaea became an overexaggerated bore. Its a game of squad building, as in every character on the board represents a group of 9 others, who execute attacks based on what part of the formation they're in. Best thing about it was the new game+ path though.

Runner ups:

Last edited:

Viata

Arcane
Terranigma is my favorite game for SNES. I have played this game so many times that I wish I could erase my memory just to be able to play this game as if it was my first time again. I really think every JRPG fan should play this game.

And this is really my favorite ost in the whole game:

But this game has so many good songs, holy shit:

I love the simplicity of this intro and then it gets more stronger as the music goes one.

Worth its name.

The only sin this song has is to be too short.

Last edited:

Viata

Arcane
One of the things I love in JRPG are their town/villagers theme. Some games really have powerfull town themes, and sadly, some has sequels with not as good town theme:

Final Fantasy 1 really knew how to keep players motivate with its beautiful town theme:

I don't think most town themes in FF are as good as the first one. We do have good ones, but 1 and 2 have my favorites.

Despite FFVIII being really bad, this song is really beautiful:

Dragon Quest 1 and 2 had a good town theme, but 3 had a really powerfull town theme:

This is probably the song you'll hear the most in this game given how much you will get stuck without knowing where to go. This was also the Dragon Quest game that made me a fanboy of this series(that ending was perfect).

Legend of Mana is one of my favorite jrpg for PS1. I have finished this game many times, including 2-player with gf(her favorite game, after all). It is pretty much a big game of side quest, but it still an amazing game. And this song still makes me happy:

Tbh, I could spend the whole day talking about town themes, jrpg really do this better than wrpg, imo.
In fact, I think JRPG do better OST than WRPG.

Okagron

Prophet
Terranigma is my favorite game for SNES. I have played this game so many times that I wish I could erase my memory just to be able to play this game as it was my first time again. I really think every JRPG fan should play this game.

And this is really my favorite ost in the whole game:

But this game has so many good songs, holy shit:

I love the simplicity of this intro and then it gets more stronger as the music goes one.

Worth its name.

The only sin this song has is to be too short.

Damn it, you posted the underworld theme of Terranigma before i could do it. It's also one of my favorite games on the SNES.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom