Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Josh Sawyer's GDC 2016 talk about attribute tuning in Pillars of Eternity

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Someone obviously needs to test this out right away. If I had been wasting points on INT when it could have been yet another dump stat I am going to be mad.
IIR it was enforced by spell levels and amount of spells you get to cast. However, i played some time so I am not completely sure.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Someone obviously needs to test this out right away. If I had been wasting points on INT when it could have been yet another dump stat I am going to be mad.
But int affects other stuff like how many spells slots you can have, lore and spell inscription failure chance. Granted the last one you can just savescum, I know we all did.

MrE

Literate
It's a poor comparison, though. You have a party of six characters under your full control in this type of game. Forget bad builds, even if you completely refuse to use your character you're still only losing 1/6th of your party's potential power.

Like I've said before, I believe this is why folks on this forum really like these new single-character RPGs like AoD and Underrail. Every difference in your character build is something you really feel, because that's all you've got. You'll never get that "omg, I created a different character and combat is entirely different now!" feel in a party-based RPG, that's just not how these games work.

(This may also explain the popularity of those BG2 mage duels. What BG2 does in effect is collapse the Baldur's Gate gameplay from a party-based RPG down to a single character RPG where every decision you make on how to configure one single character (your mage) has a powerful impact. If he has the right spell, you live. If he doesn't, you die.)

What a bunch on bullshit. Different party compositions make plenty of difference.

FeelTheRads has got a point. Even in Fallout, where you don't control your party members directly, you get a lot of variety based on what characters you take along (also with respect to how high you set your CHA), which is probably especially visible in combat as there are some really shit fighters available. But I spent most time playing BG as, you guessed it, a mage, so maybe there's something about that craving for influence too.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
spell inscription failure chance. Granted the last one you can just savescum, I know we all did.

Savescumming is so plebeian. No I BGTweaked that right out of there.

To be honest I have never dumped a stat to 3. I rarely go below 8 when making a char because roll-playing and all.

Shadenuat

Arcane
It doesn't, none of the mages in BG2 have 18 int (except maybe Edwin?) and they still can cast level 9 spells and beyond once you get HLA.

You still need to meet the int minimums to have a wizard of course.
You need high int to learn spells from scrolls, not to cast them.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
spell inscription failure chance. Granted the last one you can just savescum, I know we all did.

Savescumming is so plebeian. No I BGTweaked that right out of there.

To be honest I have never dumped a stat to 3. I rarely go below 8 when making a char because roll-playing and all.
Yeah, I don't do it either. It's really easy to get absurd rolls in BG anyway, specially if you don't have percentile strength.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

The companions have no problem learning level 9 spells from scrolls.
Isn't it just some RNG? You don't get locked out of learning, just lowered chance regardless of spell level.

I think if you int stat is low enough it gets to 0%, but of course no mage will get to that point since you need 9 int to qualify to the class in the first place.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I remember using +3 int potion just recently on someone (Aerie? Neera?) to learn spells.
Oh right I think it's the maximum amount of spells you can actually scribe into spellbook which it affects, otherwise you'll have to delete spells from spellbook.

The companions have no problem learning level 9 spells from scrolls.

Something fixed by Beamdog

:happytrollboy:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/21711/bg2-ee-no-more-9th-lvl-or-hla-spells-without-18-int
Ah, that's why I had to give potions to Neera.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I guess that gives one a reason to use potions of genius if you mod out the RNG on the spell scribing.

Murk

Arcane
Savescumming? Just drop difficulty for the scribing then raise it back up.

Lhynn

Arcane
A high Might score that increases both melee damage and ranged damage might not make sense, but it nevertheless indicates a character who is physically strong (ie, he'll be described as strong in dialogues, will be able to pass dialogue stat checks for lifting heavy things, etc).
You conveniently left Magic damage out, because the most damaging wizards are obviously also body-builders. That fails at realism, simulationism and everything in general, except BALANCE!!!11
He also left out guns damage out. and crossbows damage out. As if your muscles made bullets and bolts fly faster somehow. Retarded system that utterly failed at everything it set out to do.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Might increases physical and spiritual strength and your ranged attacks are imbued with your spiritual power. :M

Veelq

Augur
Buff+Roshi.jpg

Mighty Wizard :smug:

MrE

Literate
A high Might score that increases both melee damage and ranged damage might not make sense, but it nevertheless indicates a character who is physically strong (ie, he'll be described as strong in dialogues, will be able to pass dialogue stat checks for lifting heavy things, etc).
You conveniently left Magic damage out, because the most damaging wizards are obviously also body-builders. That fails at realism, simulationism and everything in general, except BALANCE!!!11
He also left out guns damage out. and crossbows damage out. As if your muscles made bullets and bolts fly faster somehow. Retarded system that utterly failed at everything it set out to do.

He left them out, no doubt about that. But, even if that doesn't make any sense for spells, it might (hehe) be considered relevant in case of guns and crossbows in a way. After you shoot a few times your muscles are going to feel it (especially if you perform an Aimed Shot, which takes more AP due to time to aiming obviously, though PoE doesn't have an equivalent), your aim is going to get gradually worse, let's say per encounter. So perhaps it should affect accuracy rather than damage dealt but there's something about it. Not trying to defend anyone, just applying a real life perspective.

Lhynn

Arcane
Might increases physical and spiritual strength and your ranged attacks are imbued with your spiritual power. :M
And how do you even do that? the process of imbuing soul power is never explained in the game, and animals dont have anything resembling soul powers, which is also never explained in the game. Can you even imagine the power of a bears spell? lets remember that intelligence isnt important to learn magic, so even plants could conceivably cast spells. lets also remember that might isnt needed to be able to lift a maul for example, so even a kid could use it with no problems.

Do i need to keep going? because you playing smartass over shit that you know doesnt make sense gets stale sometimes.

The whole system is a lazy lie by sawyer to keep people from realizing theres no actual attribute system, only a "pick your combat bonuses" screen.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
He left them out, no doubt about that. But, even if that doesn't make any sense for spells, it might (hehe) be considered relevant in case of guns and crossbows in a way. After you shoot a few times your muscles are going to feel it (especially if you perform an Aimed Shot, which takes more AP due to time to aiming obviously, though PoE doesn't have an equivalent), your aim is going to get gradually worse, let's say per encounter. So perhaps it should affect accuracy rather than damage dealt but there's something about it. Not trying to defend anyone, just applying a real life perspective.
It could affect recovery time.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
And how do you even do that? the process of imbuing soul power is never explained in the game, and animals dont have anything resembling soul powers, which is also never explained in the game. Can you even imagine the power of a bears spell? lets remember that intelligence isnt important to learn magic, so even plants could conceivably cast spells. lets also remember that might isnt needed to be able to lift a maul for example, so even a kid could use it with no problems.

Do i need to keep going? because you playing smartass over shit that you know doesnt make sense gets stale sometimes.

The whole system is a lazy lie by sawyer to keep people from realizing theres no actual attribute system, only a "pick your combat bonuses" screen.

It's an abstraction.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom