Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Josh Sawyer wants to make a historical RPG

Quillon

Arcane
I'd prefer 19 usa simply cos we've too much medieval themed games. IMO even historically accurate isn't going to be much different in terms of feels :P ; aesthetics, clothing, architecture, weps & armor, combat, tech level etc. Sawyer claims it'd have nuff difference f.i. with PoE vs 15-16th historical game but I'm not convinced especially with him retaining magic in his historical setting.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
we've too much medieval themed games

Yeah. Too much sword’n board and chainmail and what ever. Different time periods, but similiar themes and mechanical trappings.

I can’t find that interesting anymore.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I'd prefer 19 usa simply cos we've too much medieval themed games. IMO even historically accurate isn't going to be much different in terms of feels :P ; aesthetics, clothing, architecture, weps & armor, combat, tech level etc. Sawyer claims it'd have nuff difference f.i. with PoE vs 15-16th historical game but I'm not convinced especially with him retaining magic in his historical setting.
There is at least 1000 more interesting times and places to write a story around them. You can have Spain during the Reconquista,Wien during its siege,Kebab vs Pols or Russian,Florencian Italy and this in only Europa!

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
we've too much medieval themed games

Yeah. Too much sword’n board and chainmail and what ever. Different time periods, but similiar themes and mechanical trappings.

I can’t find that interesting anymore.

There is quite bit of difference between "sword'n board and chainmail and what ever medieval" and 16-17th century HRE. I lean towards 19th century USA myself because it's different and criminally underexploited setting but 17th century HRE would be different than any given random medieval fantasy.

Last edited:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
There is quite bit of difference between "sword'n board and chainmail and what ever medieval" and 16-17th century HRE.

I know there are differences in the historical settings and the possible fiction within, of course there are, but game and gameplaywise they’re trivial.

I’d really rather see a game within the American Civil War or the Anglo-Zulu War setting. Or something during that time period.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
An RPG needs isles of civilization amid defunct social order. That's how you get premises for quests, character motivations, etc. I don't see these conditions in 19th c. USA except if the game is based during the Civil War, which sounds pretty boring at first glance.

FreeKaner

There is quite bit of difference between "sword'n board and chainmail and what ever medieval" and 16-17th century HRE.

I know there are differences in the historical settings and the possible fiction within, of course there are, but game and gameplaywise they’re trivial.

Guns enter the picture, which alone could be quite bit of a difference if implemented well. Especially considering if Sawyer made his own game it would be classless turn-based game and he loves guns.

Prime Junta

Guns enter the picture, which alone could be quite bit of a difference if implemented well. Especially considering if Sawyer made his own game it would be classless turn-based game and he loves guns.

It would be interesting to see his full-on nerd-out over 16th-17th century firearms.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

It would be interesting to see his full-on nerd-out over 16th-17th century firearms.
The Spanish reconquest will be nice setting. Sadly he wouldn't dare make the muslim scum the enemy. So i will be happy with the musketeers in France or something with the Condottieri in Italy.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
An RPG needs isles of civilization amid defunct social order. That's how you get premises for quests, character motivations, etc. I don't see these conditions in 19th c. USA except if the game is based during the Civil War, which sounds pretty boring at first glance.
Conquest and war do the job well.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
It would be about the ~~struggles of women & POC~~ and how they crushed fuckin rayciss wyte boys.

FreeKaner

The Spanish reconquest will be nice setting. Sadly he wouldn't dare make the muslim scum the enemy. So i will be happy with the musketeers in France or something with the Condottieri in Italy.

He will make neither, he will 100% make it in HRE, maybe peasants war or 30 years war. 16th-17th century HRE would likely have Muslims as an external threat.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

He will make neither, he will 100% make it in HRE, maybe peasants war or 30 years war. 16th-17th century HRE would likely have Muslims as an external threat.
Oh yeah mate,i don't live with the delusion that we will see something original.

Prime Junta

He could always do the Spanish reconquest from the PoV of the Cordoban caliphate. There is beauty in a lost cause, and he could end it on a high note, with the prophecy of another, greater caliphate to come.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

He could always do the Spanish reconquest from the PoV of the Cordoban caliphate. There is beauty in a lost cause, and he could end it on a high note, with the prophecy of another, greater caliphate to come.
Speaking of lost causes.... siege of Constantinople 1453. Would love to see alternative history,giving me the option to restore the Empire.

FreeKaner

Speaking of lost causes.... siege of Constantinople 1453. Would love to see alternative history,giving me the option to restore the Empire.

That's more in the realm of strategy games than RPG. A historic RPG, even if alternative history, shouldn't give the player the ability to enact changes that can only be done by a monarch with large armies and even larger public support.

There could be alternative history RPGs of course where you take part in that alternate history, I am big on Nebuchadnezzar's Babylon surviving after his death.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Disagrees with no arguments. Oh, ok.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer

I think "an RPG" doesn't need that, but the "kill and loot/repeat" types of RPGs work well with it.
As Ken Hite says: You need bands of armed vagrants roaming the land - a model setting/structure for RPGs from the US is the wild west, in Europe it's the 30 years war.

My personal dream one would be set during the bronze age collapse.

FreeKaner

I disagree you on two fronts.

A RPG doesn't need isles of civilisation amid defunct social order at all. It can have isles of defunct social order amid civilisation for one if we want to go that route, say a RPG concerning criminal underworld in a fairly functional society otherwise. It can have no defunct anything and can have a conflict of interest and interest of conflict between different factions. I could expand on this more but I think you get the idea, to be sure what you purpose is easiest and thus most common way to give player quests and character motivations, especially in fantasy RPG but it's by no means a necessity.

I also disagree that 19th century USA doesn't have isles of civilisation amid defunct social order, especially at frontiers, mid-west, south and northern borders, there is Texan war and Spanish-American war on top for two extremely easy settings.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

That's more in the realm of strategy games than RPG. A historic RPG, even if alternative history, shouldn't give the player the ability to enact changes that can only be done by a monarch with large armies and even larger public support.

There could be alternative history RPGs of course where you take part in that alternate history, I am big on Nebuchadnezzar's Babylon surviving after his death.
It is possible,,if nothing else inquisition managed it ok. Also Expeditions games did it too. If there is will there is a way. Any way,i hope that he makes a game and it is good. Also Babylon will be cool setting. The closest thing to Babylon in rpgs is the Witcher 3. There is a lot of flames in that game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom