Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Josh Sawyer wants to make a historical RPG

Quillon

Arcane
I think a Westworld style RPG would be cool. SCI-FI in creation of historical. The plot could have you visit both and there would be lots of room for improvisation.

One of the future asscreed games.

Ubisoft's been always making use of rarely used settings, capitalizing on trending ones, baking up big ass shallow action games to be forgotten in months while fucking RPG devs have been and still is fantasizing.

Last edited:

sser

Arcane
Developer
I think a Westworld style RPG would be cool. SCI-FI in creation of historical. The plot could have you visit both and there would be lots of room for improvisation.

One of the future asscreed games.

Ubisoft's been always making use of rarely used settings, capitalizing on trending ones, baking up big ass shallow action games to be forgotten in months while fucking RPG devs have been and still is fantasizing.

I've only played one of those games (the first). Didn't care for it, partly why I only played one, but yeah the concept is ripe for some serious RPG action.

Fry

Arcane
Counterpoint: western is a shit genre.

I'm pretty confident JES can think of something more interesting.

sser

Arcane
Developer
The Western theme is usually shallow because it is employed with about as much research as a 1950s cowboys and injuns film can muster.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
The Western theme is usually shallow because it is employed with about as much research as a 1950s cowboys and injuns film can muster.

However, many of the core elements of the theme run directly counter to reality, much more than say a medieval theme.

sser

Arcane
Developer

However, many of the core elements of the theme run directly counter to reality, much more than say a medieval theme.

What do you think I meant by 1950s Hollywood?

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have a plot setting in 4th c. Sparta that would be amazing to make as a game. Plenty of primary source material, plenty of opportunities to weave in political conflict, spy games, etc. Hire me as the ideas guy and pay me a lot of money mr josh sawyer and I will reveal the exact time period location and characters involved.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I have a plot setting in 4th c. Sparta that would be amazing to make as a game. Plenty of primary source material, plenty of opportunities to weave in political conflict, spy games, etc. Hire me as the ideas guy and pay me a lot of money mr josh sawyer and I will reveal the exact time period location and characters involved.

Sawyer would probably say that Sparta is too clichéd.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Sawyer would probably say that Sparta is too clichéd.

Then he would be wrong. How many historical RPGs are set in the 5th through early-mid 4th c. BCE Hellas?

Zero.

At the very most you might find one or two games that have a classical greek theme, but almost totally ignore the primary source material.

If being in Sparta itself is too cliched for him, despite it literally never having been done before, then there are options for other parts of the world during that era. Or, he could do pre-Han China if he dislikes the West so much.

Ultimately, the most important thing is that he pour buckets of money on me.

Beastro

Arcane
Whenever people say they want to make an "historical" setting, or worst yet, a "realistic" historical setting, what they are really taking about is a representation of a particular era filtered through modern lenses and "reinterpreted" according to modern beliefs and ideals. It doesn't seem anyone is actually interested in representing those particular eras as people living in those times experienced them. And because of this, what you get most of the times is essentially modern society with an "historical" theme slapped on top of it. Can you really call that "history"?

He wants to make something set in the 19th century? Do a goddamn Western RPG! So much potential there and yet it's been totally ignored (i think?). Why is that? Too boring and passé? Your grandfather's ideal RPG setting? Would be a refreshing change from medieval sword & sorcery or post-apoc

I've always thought the scout/mountain man archetype would be perfect for a sand box game/literal hiking simulator that focuses heavily on survival outside of settlements.

Mix that somehow with the way the West changed over the 19th Century, could play as someone born in the 1830s and end the game seeing how much it changed in the 1880s (a few scouts kept active into their 50s or so despite being worn out by lifestyle).

Then he would be wrong. How many historical RPGs are set in the 5th through early-mid 4th c. BCE Hellas?

Zero.

At the very most you might find one or two games that have a classical greek theme, but almost totally ignore the primary source material.

If being in Sparta itself is too cliched for him, despite it literally never having been done before, then there are options for other parts of the world during that era. Or, he could do pre-Han China if he dislikes the West so much.

Ultimately, the most important thing is that he pour buckets of money on me.

I'd love to see someone set in the mid to late Dark Age to early Archaic Age, like 900-500BC where things are still in flux and there's room to add in folklorish mythical elements like the Return of the Heracleidae as opposed to the more solidified world of Classical Greece in poeple's minds.

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Historical RPGs, how many do you know? When they were made, they typically were not interesting.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
The correct way to present an ancient setting is to treat it as being a generally acceptable state of affairs and morally justified. Then, there should be a great effort to be faithful to the primary source material so that the player can walk away having learnt something rooted in history rather than ultimately pointless modern fiction/lore.

The player should feel totally justified in owning Thracian slaves to work in his mines. It is totally acceptable to have summary execution if a criminal confesses before the Eleven. To die in war in defense of the Polis is glorious. It's not unreasonable to declare someone a god after they have died. Etc. The typical or general feel of the setting should be two thumbs up for whatever the ancient practice happens to be.

If the player wants to rebel, then let them be the fringe-dwelling edge lord of their dreams, but for the most part the general setting should be presented as totally reasonable and fine. The typical objections to this approach come from people who hold unsubstantiated opinions about right and wrong, and what ought to be. They lack a metaphysical basis for their claims, and their experiences are incomplete, rendering whatever they have to say utterly worthless. Do not let some western entertainer or academic tell you that the ancients were wrong; if you consider it for a second you will probably realise that they are either atheists and lack any basis of objective morality, or follow some sect of hebrew mythology.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Historical RPGs, how many do you know? When they were made, they typically were not interesting.
Darklands!
Also western rpg will be boring,there is not much be done in it. I will not be interested in it. There a 1000 more interesting possibilities than a few unwashed plebs shooting each other.

Beastro

Arcane
Also western rpg will be boring,there is not much be done in it. I will not be interested in it. There a 1000 more interesting possibilities than a few unwashed plebs shooting each other.

If you're only looking at it from the stereotypical perspective of cowboy dueling in towns that ignores the rest archetypes the setting contained, including the one I mentioned with the Scout/Mountain Man.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
I'd love to see someone set in the mid to late Dark Age to early Archaic Age, like 900-500BC where things are still in flux and there's room to add in folklorish mythical elements like the Return of the Heracleidae as opposed to the more solidified world of Classical Greece in poeple's minds.

A game about the Heracleidae would be amazing. There's just enough source material that you have a good outline and lineup of characters, but still have enough freedom to do almost anything you want.

I am making an RPG that follows Theseus' early adulthood (journey from Troezen to Attica), which is a similar setting but perhaps a little more railroaded because you play as the eponymous character and the source material provides good amount of detail. I am releasing a new prototype/demo this weekend, updated a lot since last version. (old video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SggQdQj7gtk)

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

A game about the Heracleidae would be amazing. There's just enough source material that you have a good outline and lineup of characters, but still have enough freedom to do almost anything you want.

I am making an RPG that follows Theseus' early adulthood (journey from Troezen to Attica), which is a similar setting but perhaps a little more railroaded because you play as the eponymous character and the source material provides good amount of detail. I am releasing a new demo this weekend, updated a lot since last version. (old video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SggQdQj7gtk)
This is how Greek houses looked during the antiquity,more or less.
9207712_orig.jpg

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Here is the thread and demo as promised: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-c-c-rpg-made-in-gms-2-demo-available.118904/

It's on Itch.io, too: https://classics.itch.io/thesiad

(picture)

Nice. I have some notes and pictures from archeological digs and they discuss houses/buildings. The bigger problem is finding an artist, tbh, because I can't draw at all. I am just using free assets from Dungeon Painter Studio right now.

I am releasing a new demo this weekend, updated a lot since last version. (old video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SggQdQj7gtk)

That looks awesome. Using Pausanius as a source for places to visit along the way is a great idea.

Thanks, Pausanias is definitely a major source in this game. Not many ancient texts discuss the specific locations and mythology of various towns like Troezen.

I am making an RPG that follows Theseus' early adulthood (journey from Troezen to Attica)

Will it feature the Ship of Theseus?

No, the game ends when Theseus arrives at Athens to meet King Aegeus for the first time. If I learn how to programme better and someone wants to make a sequel/provide me with decent art, I would be interested in making another Theseus game.

Last edited:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Make a game about the last years of Feudal Japan. You have everything there : historical setting that is different enough from the usual medieval era setting, and still will appeal to the weeaboo crowd.

It has also not been explored much and I am pretty sure one could do good things with it.

But you do not even to go historical. A good challenge would be a modern day RPG that is not Earthbound with a sprite swap.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Make a game actually set in Bronze Age Post-Akkad Mesopotamia. Tyranny didn't do it justice. Although knowing Sawyer it will either be 15-17th century HRE or 19th century USA for sure.
Hope it is not 19 usa. I don't mind playing as a german killing germans.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom