Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Josh Sawyer wants to make a historical RPG

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Guns enter the picture, which alone could be quite bit of a difference if implemented well.

I'm more into the mid/later industrial revolution era than renaissance.

Xeon

Augur
A historical RPG sounds pretty boring. Having a space game or a spy rpg or something will be a lot more fun.

Maybe if there are a lot of intrigue will be kinda fun but not sure, still sounds pretty boring tho.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
A historical RPG sounds pretty boring. Having a space game or a spy rpg or something will be a lot more fun.

Maybe if there are a lot of intrigue will be kinda fun but not sure, still sounds pretty boring tho.
Out of context I would kinda agree but what he wants to make is something similat to Darklands. It's not meant to be realistic, it's meant to be set in a place and time with the actual superstition of the time as fantasy elements, which is very cool.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
An RPG needs isles of civilization amid defunct social order. That's how you get premises for quests, character motivations, etc. I don't see these conditions in 19th c. USA except if the game is based during the Civil War, which sounds pretty boring at first glance.
Disagrees with no arguments. Oh, ok.

I disagree you on two fronts.

A RPG doesn't need isles of civilisation amid defunct social order at all. It can have isles of defunct social order amid civilisation for one if we want to go that route, say a RPG concerning criminal underworld in a fairly functional society otherwise. It can have no defunct anything and can have a conflict of interest and interest of conflict between different factions. I could expand on this more but I think you get the idea, to be sure what you purpose is easiest and thus most common way to give player quests and character motivations, especially in fantasy RPG but it's by no means a necessity.

I also disagree that 19th century USA doesn't have isles of civilisation amid defunct social order, especially at frontiers, mid-west, south and northern borders, there is Texan war and Spanish-American war on top for two extremely easy settings.
Maybe make sure you understand what is written before writing in reply that you disagree (or agree)?

In an environment where social order is being enforced, there is no potential for situations that require combat to realistically occur. You need to have areas/spaces/environments where characters have to turn to violence in order to protect themselves.

So you always need a setting-provided excuse for the existance of areas like "wilderness", "dungeons", "infested sewers", "enchanted forests", "dark caverns", etc.

In the majority of RPGs such unsafe areas are the majority, and the safe areas are the minority, hence:
An RPG needs isles of civilization amid defunct social order

Delterius

Arcane
americans are too orderly to make for rpgs, they just like to larp rebellious militamen from time to time

now, Brazil? that's like post apoc larping already

an RPG in the making, if you will

look at the more prestigious part of colonialism the next time, sawyer

no more yankeedom

Iznaliu

Arbiter
An RPG set in medieval Japan or China that incorporated elements of those nations' mythology would be pretty interesting.

Modron

Arcane
An RPG set in medieval Japan or China that incorporated elements of those nations' mythology would be pretty interesting.
Prince of Qin is actually a decent game disguised as a Diablo clone. Not Divine Divinity level but elevated nevertheless.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Prince of Qin is actually a decent game disguised as a Diablo clone. Not Divine Divinity level but elevated nevertheless.
It is not a Diablo clone mate,the game is a decent rpg. It have a lot of quests and shit to go around. If you are in to asian rpgs go for Tale of Wuxia.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
It is not a Diablo clone mate,the game is a decent rpg. It have a lot of quests and shit to go around. If you are in to asian rpgs go for Tale of Wuxia.
I believe that's what he said - that it's disguised as a Diablo clone, but is actually a decent game more in the vein of Divine Divinity, albeit not quite on the same level.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I believe that's what he said - that it's disguised as a Diablo clone, but is actually a decent game more in the vein of Divine Divinity, albeit not quite on the same level.
Ahhhh ok,sorry i was tired and didn't read it well.

laclongquan

Arcane

The freaking item crafting system is light years beyond Diablo. It's disguised as D because at the time, Diablo clone is all the rage in game development.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

The freaking item crafting system is light years beyond Diablo. It's disguised as D because at the time, Diablo clone is all the rage in game development.
The game was great but too repetitive.

Iznaliu

Arbiter

Given your posts on crafting, that doesn't ease my lack of confidence.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
An RPG needs isles of civilization amid defunct social order. That's how you get premises for quests, character motivations, etc. I don't see these conditions in 19th c. USA except if the game is based during the Civil War, which sounds pretty boring at first glance.

A RPG doesn't need isles of civilisation amid defunct social order at all. It can have isles of defunct social order amid civilisation for one if we want to go that route, say a RPG concerning criminal underworld in a fairly functional society otherwise. It can have no defunct anything and can have a conflict of interest and interest of conflict between different factions. I could expand on this more but I think you get the idea, to be sure what you purpose is easiest and thus most common way to give player quests and character motivations, especially in fantasy RPG but it's by no means a necessity.

I also disagree that 19th century USA doesn't have isles of civilisation amid defunct social order, especially at frontiers, mid-west, south and northern borders, there is Texan war and Spanish-American war on top for two extremely easy settings.
Maybe make sure you understand what is written before writing in reply that you disagree (or agree)?

In an environment where social order is being enforced, there is no potential for situations that require combat to realistically occur. You need to have areas/spaces/environments where characters have to turn to violence in order to protect themselves.

So you always need a setting-provided excuse for the existance of areas like "wilderness", "dungeons", "infested sewers", "enchanted forests", "dark caverns", etc.

In the majority of RPGs such unsafe areas are the majority, and the safe areas are the minority, hence:

I don't understand how 19th century america doesn't fill that requirement though. In addition to 4+ wars (1812, Mexican War, Civil War, Indian War), it had westward expansion, the craziness of the gold rush era and towns springing up in the middle of the wilderness almost over night. Hell, the vast majority of Westerns are set in the 19th century. You could argue some of those are overplayed already, but I find it hard to see how the setting and timeline is poorly suited for an RPG.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
America is boring...will not be interested in such game. My opinions aside,it will most likely flop.
Completely immaterial to my post, but that's okay. Maybe you can tell us about your local salads for a bunch of posts again. :D

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I don't understand how 19th century america doesn't fill that requirement though. In addition to 4+ wars (1812, Mexican War, Civil War, Indian War), it had westward expansion, the craziness of the gold rush era and towns springing up in the middle of the wilderness almost over night. Hell, the vast majority of Westerns are set in the 19th century. You could argue some of those are overplayed already, but I find it hard to see how the setting and timeline is poorly suited for an RPG.
I never said it doesn't fill that requirement. The thing is that the 19th century is a pretty broad period, a d one where big leaps were made in the quality and way of living, so it matters a lot when exactly in the 19th c. are we considering placing the game.

Until the end of the Civil War, yes, there are conditions to set an rpg in this time and place, but once the Reconstruction era, and Gilded age begin, whatever game you set up in the US, will be percieved as "a western setting" by the uninformed public, with all that entails. For a number of reasons, I'm not that keen on an "historical RPG" placed in a setting that is associated with national mythology (this applies to the Civil War as well), and the mass image of which is so contaminated by its portrayal in movies.

IMO, the best settings for historical RPGs are those time periods and locations that are less explored by movies and games. There you would have more freedom to build a world that is true to history, and you are less burdened by having to adhere to mass expectations and pay tribute to "genre" cliches. Because the moment your historical RPG is set in a setting that's associated with a "genre" in cinema (Western), it will have a very hard time remaining historical.

The Great Deceiver

Trickster
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Knowing Feargus the only way he could be convinced to greenlight this project is if Kingdom Come: Deliverance becomes a smash hit - which I doubt.

Rev

Arcane
Knowing Feargus the only way he could be convinced to greenlight this project is if Kingdom Come: Deliverance becomes a smash hit - which I doubt.
Don't think he would care a lot about KC, since that's a totally different game compared to the one Sawyer has said he wants to make as the only thing they would have in common is the historical setting.
Kingdom Come is real time, with an action-focused combat system, first person view, good visuals and good production values, Sawyer's rpg would be turn-based, probably with a top down camera view and at most with a budget similar to PoE and about the same level of graphical quality. They're not going to aim at the same target group, and Sawyer's game would surely require less sales to break even given its lower budget, which makes it a far less risky project than Kingdom Come.

Prime Junta

budget similar to PoE

Considerably less. I seem to recall 1-1.5M being floated.

If he's able to reuse the P2 engine and some of the assets (re-skinned ofc) you can do a quite a lot with that kind of money though. Think Tyranny, but with historical accuracy and without the suck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom