Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Josh Sawyer Q&A Thread

vonAchdorf

Arcane
"game" belongs to "data", not RPG.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I wonder how many times he got up for food/soda/candy and weighing how annoying that really shitty stealth system in POE's release was.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Sawyer's top 5 RPGs (part of the Gamestar Pillars II special) - unfortunately only with German dub.

1. Pool of Radiance ("real DnD")
2. Darklands ("I love the game because I love history")
3. Fallout ("revolutionary freedom")
4. Baldur's Gate 2 ("epitome of Infinity Engine")
5. Battle Brothers ("the tactical battles are among the best")

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Josh has come a long way from "there wasn't a whole lot I did like about it" to "epitome of Infinity Engine" :M

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Josh said that if Kingdom Come: Deliverance did well he would quit Obsidian and form his own company to make his history RPG dream come true.
Kingdom Come: Deliverance is doing well.
Josh is leaving Obsidian after the final patch of Deadfire.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The comments are hilarious. People miss Witcher 3, Skyrim and JRPGs in the list. "D:OS 2 is much better than BG2"

"Gaming grandpa rambling about the god old days. No thank you grandpa, we do this much better today."

Cross

Arcane
That Tumblr answer perfectly encapsulates why Sawyer is so bad at world building. He's obviously a big history buff, but he doesn't seem to have any good idea of how to incorporate his love of history into the games he makes. So he just inserts straight historical analogs into the setting he's working on in a very crude and heavy-handed way.

I also remember an interview where he said that while he likes to read a lot, he steers clear of fantasy and sci-fi books. Which, considering all the games he makes are in those genres, is a huge red flag, and certainly explains all the world building issues in the games he made.

Last edited:

Sannom

Augur
I also remember an interview where he said that while he likes to read a lot, he steers clear of fantasy and sci-fi books. Which, considering all the games he makes are in those genres, is a huge red flag, and certainly explains all the world building issues in the games he made.
I believe he's said multiple times that he doesn't read any fiction at all.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
He's read/watched A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones. He prefers history and historical fiction.

Tom Selleck

Arcane
What would happen if they had a game designer at that talk who didn't use twitter? Or would they not have game designers at that talk who don't use twitter? Or would game designers never not have twitter?

Prime Junta

What would happen if they had a game designer at that talk who didn't use twitter? Or would they not have game designers at that talk who don't use twitter? Or would game designers never not have twitter?

It's more like, if you're not on Twitter, the conference organisers won't be aware of you, and you won't be invited.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom