Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Josh Sawyer Q&A Thread

Quillon

Arcane
Design Director, Game Director, System Designer, Writer, Linguist, Singer, Song Writer, Avid Twitterer, Social Justice Warrior, Cyclist, Question Answerer, Youtuber, Tumblrererererer, Cat owner, Twitcher... next he'll be narrative lead for his FYSMD if he's not already for Deadfire and then he'll run for President.

LizardWizard

Cipher
Design Director, Game Director, System Designer, Writer, Linguist, Singer, Song Writer, Avid Twitterer, Social Justice Warrior, Cyclist, Question Answerer, Youtuber, Tumblrererererer, Cat owner, Twitcher... next he'll be narrative lead for his FYSMD if he's not already for Deadfire and then he'll run for President.

Obergruppenführer Sawyer

Jazz_

Arcane
Sawyer is so hipster he went completely grey at the mere age of 41. Or maybe that's just the trade off of some faustian bargain.

Eric Fenstermaker held the writing reins on PoE, so Josh Sawyer wasn't really handed any keys to any kingdom...

He's probably referring to Josh being appointed to the role of "Design Director", well after PoE's release and MCA's departure.

Indeed.

Regarding Fenstermaker: After reading the Codex interview with him I have a strong suspicion that he was basically, at a certain point, the only person left at OES willing to take the blame for the didactic and over-written PoE narrative; he comes across as a "buck stops here" sort-of-guy (which is to be strongly admired, especially from a creative), but I think that the final product of PoE's base game stands in stark contrast to the insistence that there was a true Creative Lead. It is a schizophrenic mess of a storyline, both thematically and logically, and it does not seem to me that there was any strong unifying vision behind the narrative (please note that I think PoE is a fine "worth a play, solid 7 or 8 out of 10" game, it just happens to have possibly OES' worst narrative).

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I never saw Sawyer as shirking responsibility in anything he's done. That's fine, you see it enough. I just wouldn't blame him entirely for the disjointed stuff from the story overall.

Ultimately I just felt the story jumped the shark.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Josh sunk four hours into Dungeon Rats, wonder what he thinks of its classlessness. :M

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
excel use should be restricted to finance, graphs, and csv
(and there are a thousand tools better for each of them)

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
Yeah, bugs are no joke in F:NV. In fact, the toughest enemy in the entire game (series?) is the Legendary Bloatfly in Old World Blues - which is funny, because Bloatflies are normally the weakest enemy. BTW, Bloatfly sliders are a pretty good meal you can cook. Too bad you can't really make something like that in real life.... yet. Could cure world hunger with those. ;)

Prime Junta

Huh, he's built his own bicycle frame.

Mad respect, that isn't easy. Good-looking bike too, especially like that he picked the Cuban flag as inspiration for the colours

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom