Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Josh Sawyer plans to develop a historical RPG after his current project

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
The only actual democracy that ever worked for a while, with lotteries for places of power and the rest, actual decisions by a part of the population etc, was the Athenian one.
The Althing would like a word with you.

Funny thing about the Althing. Whoever showed up with the biggest group of armed men tended to get the most votes.
Citation needed.

Prime Junta

The only actual democracy that ever worked for a while, with lotteries for places of power and the rest, actual decisions by a part of the population etc, was the Athenian one.

Funny thing about the Althing. Whoever showed up with the biggest group of armed men tended to get the most votes.
Citation needed.

https://books.google.dk/books?id=A4S6Bnw3HnkC&hl=fi&source=gbs_navlinks_s

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
One that has all of these elements, not just 2 or 3 of them:
  • solid storyline with a sensible narrative and at least 1 major plot twist
Ah yes, the acclaimed M. Night Shyalaman school of RPG design.

Jade Empire must be pleased.

"MY STUDENT, WELCOME! DON'T MIND MY OMINOUS WARNINGS ABOUT A FATAL WEAKNESS IN YOUR MARTIAL ARTS THAT ONLY I, YOUR MASTER WITH A SUSPICIOUSLY EVIL VOICE ACTOR, COULD EXPLOIT! Anyway get on out there and start the tutorial now"

You blew it.

Jade Empire, despite its mediocre gameplay and characters, is ONE game where this twist is done right. In fact, that one thing you mentioned, everyone tells you that it is *brilliant* because to them it seems like a clever ploy to fool opponents into seeing weakness where there is none. The twist is quite good there in fact, where they subvert the most ancient of martial arts genre of storytelling: "You killed my master, now prepare to die".

Just how braindead do you have to be not to see the 'twist' telegraphed in the FIRST MINUTE of the game

To carry on with OT:

I must confess I remember being surprised by the plot twist back then when I first played Jade Empire. But to my defence, I was young and naive back then (in my late twenties :shittydog:) .

Say whatever you want about the characters, but if you have someone voiced by John Cleese, it makes JE a whole lotta better game already.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Wasn't it obvious that from the completely retarded reaction to her videos only attention was given to that attention whore? How can anyone seriously defend that? The moment idiots started hating and posting, was the moment she became famous. Fucking retards.

An often repeated argument but not as rock solid as people might believe. Jack Thompson was attacked right off the bat to a similar degree yet you didn't see anyone rise to defend his honour, yes? On the contrary, gaming press put up their pro-consumer facade and defended their hobby even though he was arguably less radical in his views.

IMO internet being full of shit-slinging idiots that attack every celebrity related to the gaming medium in any way doesn't let people off the hook for throwing money/support to a person who clearly isn't a video game enthusiast of any sort (that much is obvious at the first glance, dig a bit deeper and you're realize she's neither a feminist nor a content creator) and only cares about the medium as far as it being a good source of gullible people to fill up her piggy bank.

That said, personally I don't really care all that much about developers/writers personal political beliefs, hobbies, habits etc. my main concern is whether they can deliver a game I enjoy playing. I mean I'm all for good developers becoming gaming celebrities of sort because it puts the spotlight on them instead of the industry parasites (publishers) but I'm not invested into their life, what they do in their free time is their own business as far as I'm concerned.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
Since we are still on about Jade Empire, yes, the game is otherwise unremarkable outside of its setting. Even the latter it could not go beyond cliches of that genre. Unfortunately, the overall story of the spirit monks is a very Bioware-y plot in the whole, where you defeat the evil overlord by being the chosen one.

The difference is that it's entirely unpretentious. It doesn't try to be 'mature' or 'serious' or any of that bullshit that BW has attempted and failed miserably since. That's why it works.

(The BG's and KOTOR share this characteristic by the way, and benefit greatly from it. If you want to do something mature or serious, you damn well be sure you can pull it off. BioWare can't, and never could.)

What are you talking about? It takes itself quite too seriously in its storytelling (and fails). It's the characters that are caricatures.

Trashos

Arcane
The only actual democracy that ever worked for a while, with lotteries for places of power and the rest, actual decisions by a part of the population etc, was the Athenian one. They plucked out their eyes with their own fucking hands.

It was not a bug. It was a feature.

hpstg

Savant
Wasn't it obvious that from the completely retarded reaction to her videos only attention was given to that attention whore? How can anyone seriously defend that? The moment idiots started hating and posting, was the moment she became famous. Fucking retards.

An often repeated argument but not as rock solid as people might believe. Jack Thompson was attacked right off the bat to a similar degree yet you didn't see anyone rise to defend his honour, yes? On the contrary, gaming press put up their pro-consumer facade and defended their hobby even though he was arguably less radical in his views.

IMO internet being full of shit-slinging idiots that attack every celebrity related to the gaming medium in any way doesn't let people off the hook for throwing money/support to a person who clearly isn't a video game enthusiast of any sort (that much is obvious at the first glance, dig a bit deeper and you're realize she's neither a feminist nor a content creator) and only cares about the medium as far as it being a good source of gullible people to fill up her piggy bank.

That said, personally I don't really care all that much about developers/writers personal political beliefs, hobbies, habits etc. my main concern is whether they can deliver a game I enjoy playing. I mean I'm all for good developers becoming gaming celebrities of sort because it puts the spotlight on them instead of the industry parasites (publishers) but I'm not invested into their life, what they do in their free time is their own business as far as I'm concerned.
If you have the view you say you do in your last paragraph, how can you say that anything happening like that is "normal" or does any "good". Sarkesian rode the whole retarded feminism bandwagon, everybody knew she would get more attention if she was attacked, because she was presented as the underdog in the larger view of things. The other guy, was just that, a guy. He didn't immediately fit into the victim meme and nobody gave two shits. While for Sarkesian, every retarded basement dweller curse was a little upvote.

hpstg

Savant
The only actual democracy that ever worked for a while, with lotteries for places of power and the rest, actual decisions by a part of the population etc, was the Athenian one. They plucked out their eyes with their own fucking hands.

It was not a bug. It was a feature.
The systemic reset by driving an empire to the ground? :D

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
No. Just don't watch TV. Ever.

The problem is not in TV, the problem is in different birth rate for Muslims, e.g. Turks in Germany and Germans in Germany.
It's like at least three children vs 1 or 2 at max, and among Muslims there are no such freaks like childfree.
The problem is not in TV, the problem is that the ostrich hiding its head in the sand when frightened.

Unwanted

Manmower

Unwanted
Edgy
The problem is not in TV, the problem is in different birth rate for Muslims, e.g. Turks in Germany and Germans in Germany.
This is no not the place to discuss politics, but...

There is no problem. Honestly. The self-perpetuating feedback loop of ever-crazier leftist idiocy will result in the complete unraveling of the social fabric. At this point, it's just a matter of time. How much exactly, is irrelevant. Events like this are genetic bottlenecks that winnow the wider population into more agile and eugenic strands. Democracy is dysgenic. So is globalism. And open borders. And free trade. Medicine in general, as well. The future German will be a mixed-breed bastard roaming the streets of a European neo-Brazil, laboring for trinkets and straining under the boot of a globalized feudalistic technocracy. Look to the pure and untainted specimens to carry the torch of Germania into the future. These will be immunized against the pathogens of egalitarianism, and all it entails. A winnowing of a sort, both genetically and memetically, representing the next leap in Western man's drawn-out evolution. The pathologically altruistic memeplex weighing down the caucasian psyche is long overdue for a shearing, and once this accumulated detritus is purged, we can finally start beheading the post-1789 modernistic hydra.

All in due time...

Fry

Arcane
:lol:

Looks like someone accidentally found a dictionary while furiously masturbating to old pictures of Horst Wessel in the public library.

Endemic

Arcane

Thompson was a lawyer who eventually got himself disbarred for some of the crap he pulled in the courts\legal cases (despite the BBC whitewashing him and trashing Rockstar in their "documentary). Some random feminist spouting off on Youtube doesn't carry any real weight in that respect (and wouldn't have, if detractors hadn't brought attention to her).

What does this GD shit have to do with a potential historical game anyway? I didn't see Sawyer compromise in F:NV. He went out and did practical research on the Mojave, firearms etc.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
All in due time...

My language isn't that good, that's why I possibly don't understand how it is nullified the fackt that Europe is under heavy depopulation, while people from Africa and Middle East are like in HoMM - "Astrologers declared the week of reproduction - in 2050 half of European population will be Muslims".

Gruncheon

Savant

The Althing's an interesting one. Until Norway began asserting itself around towards the end of the period of Icelandic independence, there was no real external threat to Iceland's sovereignty, meaning there wasn't much need for a strong centralised power.

I'm not sure about the big group of armed men thing though. Iceland was a poor and barren land around the period of the first Althing, there wasn't enough of an economic surplus to sustain a warrior caste or warrior retainers that would've allowed a particular family to reliably tip the scales.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik

Well, I don't know what criteria word "worked" implies, just for the record - there was Novgorod's Democracy, which exist in Novgorodskay Republic that exist from 1136 - 1478, Republic and democracy has not got accustomed obviously, but we at least tried. )

hpstg

Savant

Well, I don't know what criteria word "worked" implies, just for the record - there was Novgorod's Democracy, which exist in Novgorodskay Republic that exist from 1136 - 1478, Republic and democracy has not got accustomed obviously, but we at least tried. )
As far as I know, and please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm very interested in this, the Athenian democracy had public service determined by lottery, which didn't allow the hold of any kind of permanent bureaucracy. That was the bad and the good thing about it, and what differentiated it from the attempts after (along with other provisions like voted exiles etc).

Unwanted

Manmower

Unwanted
Edgy
"Bugs and quirks" like PS:T's shitty, pointless combat? It's call that game a 3.5/5 by your criteria. Again, your definition of "normal RPG" seems to actually be a list of bullet points for the perfect RPG which doesn't exist and never has existed.
No, a 'perfect RPG' would go far and beyond that list. It's telling that the industry is so corrupt and the studios so incompetent that what should be considered baseline is instead treated as exemplary.

Trolling isn't satire.
Yet it contains many elements of it.

in 2050 half of European population will be Muslims
This is a good thing. Darwinian crucibles are healthy, in the long run.

A steampunk setting would be more interesting.
I'd pay good money to play a well-made speampunk RPG. Dunno why devs have such an aversion to the setting.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
As far as I know, and please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm very interested in this, the Athenian democracy had public service determined by lottery, which didn't allow the hold of any kind of permanent bureaucracy. That was the bad and the good thing about it, and what differentiated it from the attempts after (along with other provisions like voted exiles etc).
Well, I don't actually know about it, but I know something that may ineterst you - The Strugatsky brothers have book, where they used such method or model of social structure, where everybody got their assigned to work from such machine. Actually it's just a side element usedto construct what thay need, but anyway, you can read it. )
The book was translated in English under the title "The Doomed City", or in German under "Das Experiment".

This is a good thing. Darwinian crucibles are healthy, in the long run.
I see nothing good in this. For me it is looks like some culture went in dead end, primarily catholic, and now people are doomed.
And to be precise it wasn't actually half population, at least I cant swear in it, but a substantial part of it, so technically it doesn't change anything, because they can be pain in the ass even in small quantities, not to mention one third of population (I took this number for the sake of it ndisputability).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom