Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Josh Sawyer plans to develop a historical RPG after his current project

Unwanted

Manmower

Unwanted
Edgy
The game feels nice, coherent, it has amazing graphics and audio
It has worse graphics than Diablo 3 (2013 release date) and audio/music vastly inferior to Icewind Dale 1/2. Its aesthetics are laughable, its architecture plain and uninspired, and its visuals have 'UNITYYYYYYYYYYY' stapled all over them in neon letters.

I like Aloth and Durance very much, each for different reason
Me too. I also liked Eder. The three are... tolerable. The others, not so much.

The lack of interactivity makes these feel fake and weird, killing a lot of the feel of the world for me.
Agreed 100% with this, the lack of interactivity sticks out like a sore thumb. Immersion is at a general low throughout the entire game. The narrative itself is very unfocused and dispersed.

this game would be a a cult sleeper hit, and we would lament how Obsidian shut down after making it.
No, it wouldn't. It lacks in all elements of game design. It's bland, sterile, safe, dumbed down, and shallow. :decline:

Fry

Arcane
Did you have more than game on your list of "normal, baseline" RPGs? If not, you may want to reconsider how you're defining "normal".
Well, Divinity:OS was a 'nice' RPG in my book. Not perfect, not flawless, not supremely memorable, but well done and by a capable team. I'd rate it a solid 3.5/5, which is not a bad score when you think about it.

True gems are games like PS:T and Fallout 2. Those were marvels of design, even though they had their bugs and quirks.

I think the majority of us on the Codex can forgive buggy implementation if the story, characters, combat, design, and overall gameplay show that the game was made with passion. Both PS:T and Fallout 2 have soul. PoE doesn't. And it shows.

"Bugs and quirks" like PS:T's shitty, pointless combat? It's call that game a 3.5/5 by your criteria. Again, your definition of "normal RPG" seems to actually be a list of bullet points for the perfect RPG which doesn't exist and never has existed.

hpstg

Savant
The game feels nice, coherent, it has amazing graphics and audio
It has worse graphics than Diablo 3 (2013 release date) and audio/music vastly inferior to Icewind Dale 1/2. Its aesthetics are laughable, its architecture plain and uninspired, and its visuals have 'UNITYYYYYYYYYYY' stapled all over them in neon letters.
You realize this is completely subjective, right? The game gave me a very nice BG1 feeling. As "art" I prefer the Torment aesthetic, but that doesn't make PoE ugly or uninteresting in any sense. It is what they promised, a modernized look of those games. Not exciting, I agree, but not decline neither bad.

I like Aloth and Durance very much, each for different reason
Me too. I also liked Eder. The three are... tolerable. The others, not so much.[/QUOTE]
I'll play more and I'll see I guess. For now Eder seems to be the most cliche of them, but I really don't have a big problem with cliches as long as they are delivered in a proper way. I don't know about that yet.

The lack of interactivity makes these feel fake and weird, killing a lot of the feel of the world for me.
Agreed 100% with this, the lack of interactivity sticks out like a sore thumb. Immersion is at a general low throughout the entire game. The narrative itself is very unfocused and dispersed.
The narrative is a different thing. The Cyclopedia entries and the world itself feels really well fleshed out actually, and actual dialogue has been really nice up to now. These NPCs just fuck it up for me. Someone probably thought that it was better to have that, than "generic" NPCs, but it ends up being worse. You see the fragments and experiences of a person's soul and you can't even say "hey, you're kind of a dick" to them.

this game would be a a cult sleeper hit, and we would lament how Obsidian shut down after making it.
No, it wouldn't. It lacks in all elements of game design. It's bland, sterile, safe, dumbed down, and shallow. :decline:
I don't see it being shallow or dumbed down, I agree about the safe approach, and I'm not sure about the blandness and sterility just yet. I have to play more.

Unwanted

Manmower

Unwanted
Edgy
You realize this is completely subjective, right? The game gave me a very nice BG1 feeling.
Well, more power to you, then.

For now Eder seems to be the most cliche of them
He is, but he's also a total bro. :)

I have to play more.
The game starts falling apart narratively half-way through Act 2. The expansions are a bit better since they're self-contained, but not even they are anything to write home about. Overall, a very uninspired and bland game. Safe, maybe. Even OK at times. But it lacks soul. At least that's how I see it.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Roguey why bother arguing with those two retards, when it is obvious that they have conjured their own version of Sawyer, a straw-Sawyer we could call it, that they parade around claiming to be the real presentation of him?

What kind of loser gives away 10-20 grant to a couple of feminazi bums? I mean, I doubt Sawyer is rich. Throwing this kind of money away like that ain't clever. We can only conclude that he is both an sjw and also a huge cuck dedicated to whiteknighting the worst possible female specimens.
Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies. Tell me, tell me lies.

Obviously you two morons are too young to remember how it was when Sarkeesian was actually starting her Kickstarter. Literally half of the games development industry backed her to begin with - especially once her KS comments were filled by the unwashed neckbeard basement-dwellers sperging out their autistic hate of women. No quicker way to ensure that every normal human being supports your opposition than acting that way. It's also pretty clear that nearly everyone who backed her Kickstarter and supported her back then has now walked away, after all the delays with the production of her videos, their nonexistent academic quality and her plain-to-see obsessive narrow mindedness. Lot of people gave her some leeway to begin with but when - video after delayed video - she proved that she hadn't done the proper research and was playing the same tune over and over again, that leeway and support vanished. Which is why she is now rounding up money via the guest speaker tourney, milking colleges and shit.

I'm betting most prominent western devs donated to/support Anita, it's stupid to single out Sawyer in that regard. He's not your prototypical SJW hipster dev by any means (studied history, likes guns, values core gameplay, recognizes that there's a hardcore subset of PC RPG players etc.), that said if you're making a history RPG and make too many concessions to the perpetually offended crowd it could end up diluting the experience, we'll see I guess (if Fergie allows).
Exactly.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
He's still a kwanzanian alternative 40-something. Too old to be a SJW but from the generation that helped create the enviroment where they thrive.

especially once her KS comments were filled by the unwashed neckbeard basement-dwellers sperging out their autistic hate of women. No quicker way to ensure that every normal human being supports your opposition than acting that way.
:lol:

Typical eurocuck post.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
He's still a kwanzanian alternative 40-something. Too old to be a SJW but from the generation that helped create the enviroment where they thrive.

especially once her KS comments were filled by the unwashed neckbeard basement-dwellers sperging out their autistic hate of women. No quicker way to ensure that every normal human being supports your opposition than acting that way.
:lol:

Typical eurocuck post.

Translation: The "dirty high IQ social outcasts" were dead right. Sawyer and the low IQ normal fags were taken by a third rate con-artist, because they couldn't spot a con if their life depended on it.

laclongquan

Arcane
I'm not defending them, but look at it rationally: crafting an edgy, grimdark game will substantially narrow the demographic that'll play your game. By making it appealing to the broadest segment of the player base, they get more people on board. And everyone loves tweeny shit, from kids to adults.

Nah, that's the narrative you lullaby yourselves to sleep. It's utterly forgettable, and outside of Codex where we never forgive/forget, nobody remember Jade Empire.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
Since we are still on about Jade Empire, yes, the game is otherwise unremarkable outside of its setting. Even the latter it could not go beyond cliches of that genre. Unfortunately, the overall story of the spirit monks is a very Bioware-y plot in the whole, where you defeat the evil overlord by being the chosen one.

Prime Junta

Since we are still on about Jade Empire, yes, the game is otherwise unremarkable outside of its setting. Even the latter it could not go beyond cliches of that genre. Unfortunately, the overall story of the spirit monks is a very Bioware-y plot in the whole, where you defeat the evil overlord by being the chosen one.

The difference is that it's entirely unpretentious. It doesn't try to be 'mature' or 'serious' or any of that bullshit that BW has attempted and failed miserably since. That's why it works.

(The BG's and KOTOR share this characteristic by the way, and benefit greatly from it. If you want to do something mature or serious, you damn well be sure you can pull it off. BioWare can't, and never could.)

Malpercio

Arcane
Typical eurocuck post.
You might want to open a dictionary to expand your vocabulary. At least your shitposting might be amusing to read if it didn't consist of "cuck this" and "cuck that". You sound like those little kids who've learnt a cuss word for the very first time and thus repeat it endlessly.

Can't wait for the "cuck" meme to fade. It is getting a bit tiresome.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
cuckold (or cockewold to be specific) was already used as an insult by geoffrey chaucer

it's a noble word with a deep-running tradition

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

It's the new fag now that homosexuality is no longer perceived as a negative quality by civilized places, so you're going to have to live with it.

hpstg

Savant
Wait, you're still debating the "high intelligence basement-dweller vs the idiots-who-actually-run-the-world-somehow" thing? Seriously? Wasn't it obvious that from the completely retarded reaction to her videos only attention was given to that attention whore? How can anyone seriously defend that? The moment idiots started hating and posting, was the moment she became famous. Fucking retards.

Prime Junta

Just because you live in a basement and have no social skills doesn't mean you have high IQ. Some aspies are also dumb as bricks.

Barbarian

Arcane
Obviously you two morons are too young to remember how it was when Sarkeesian was actually starting her Kickstarter. Literally half of the games development industry backed her to begin with - especially once her KS comments were filled by the unwashed neckbeard basement-dwellers sperging out their autistic hate of women. No quicker way to ensure that every normal human being supports your opposition than acting that way. It's also pretty clear that nearly everyone who backed her Kickstarter and supported her back then has now walked away, after all the delays with the production of her videos, their nonexistent academic quality and her plain-to-see obsessive narrow mindedness. Lot of people gave her some leeway to begin with but when - video after delayed video - she proved that she hadn't done the proper research and was playing the same tune over and over again, that leeway and support vanished. Which is why she is now rounding up money via the guest speaker tourney, milking colleges and shit.

Excuses, excuses. The fact that he is a 40-something year old hipster cuck doesn't exclude him from social justice warring. Look at what Tim Schafer and others have become.

You can try to change our perception, but the truth of the matter is that a cuck giving thousands of dollars worth of his hard earned money to some armenoid feminazi conbot is nothing but pathetic and sad. "He was only jumping on the bandwagon!". Yeah right. I'm not looking forward for a historical game made by a weakling who breaks for such lowly pressure. He is likely to compromise and the game will never have the appeal darklands had if he does so.

Unwanted

Manmower

Unwanted
Edgy
I'm not looking forward for a historical game made by a weakling who breaks for such lowly pressure.
Not defending him, but entire companies buckle when the femswarm comes for them. Dunno why, I'd just tell 'em to fuck off. The worst they can do is not buy your stuff. Not like they were planning to, anyway. What a sad and pitiful world we live in.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Typical eurocuck post.
You might want to open a dictionary to expand your vocabulary. At least your shitposting might be amusing to read if it didn't consist of "cuck this" and "cuck that". You sound like those little kids who've learnt a cuss word for the very first time and thus repeat it endlessly.

If the butt hurts the hat fits.

It isn't going away for as long as it perfectly synthetizes your culture.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Wait, you're still debating the "high intelligence basement-dweller vs the idiots-who-actually-run-the-world-somehow" thing? Seriously?

The one truth the Internet has taught is what used to be authority has always been laughable. :dgaider:

cuckold (or cockewold to be specific) was already used as an insult by geoffrey chaucer

it's a noble word with a deep-running tradition

The cucks have always been with us. :lol:

I'm not looking forward for a historical game made by a weakling who breaks for such lowly pressure.
Not defending him, but entire companies buckle when the femswarm comes for them. Dunno why, I'd just tell 'em to fuck off. The worst they can do is not buy your stuff. Not like they were planning to, anyway. What a sad and pitiful world we live in.

Business does its fair share of SJWing. They are among the most powerful forces that subvert democracies.

hpstg

Savant
Wait, you're still debating the "high intelligence basement-dweller vs the idiots-who-actually-run-the-world-somehow" thing? Seriously?

The one truth the Internet has taught is what used to be authority has always been laughable. :dgaider:

Business does its fair share of SJWing. They are among the most powerful forces that subvert democracies.

The only actual democracy that ever worked for a while, with lotteries for places of power and the rest, actual decisions by a part of the population etc, was the Athenian one. They plucked out their eyes with their own fucking hands. SJWs are the results of the pampered generation, raised by mostly idiotic hippies all around the world (it was a global phenomenon). No sense of personal responsibility, no punishment, no competition. It will not go away until the generation of the global meltdown (social, economic and political) we are currently going through will come of age, and they will despise the SJWs more than the SJWs despise the fucking baby boomers.

As for your sentence about authority, I can't tell if you are serious or not. If you are, authority itself is never laughable. Usually it's through skill (unless you seriously believe that powerful people are idiots), or even through sheer luck, but most of us live because of the good graces of authority, as authority lives within the good graces of society. That last part is getting more and more fucked up, and it's ready for society to "correct" authority any time now, so that the symbiot will keep working.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
The only actual democracy that ever worked for a while, with lotteries for places of power and the rest, actual decisions by a part of the population etc, was the Athenian one.
The Althing would like a word with you.

hpstg

Savant
The only actual democracy that ever worked for a while, with lotteries for places of power and the rest, actual decisions by a part of the population etc, was the Athenian one.
I'm sure that there would be an amazing deep discussion that I don't want to have anyway.

:1up:

(The lotteries for everything were probably even more important than the actual voting).

Prime Junta

Funny thing about the Althing. Whoever showed up with the biggest group of armed men tended to get the most votes.

hpstg

Savant

Funny thing about the Althing. Whoever showed up with the biggest group of armed men tended to get the most votes.
And everyone neglects to mention the fucking lotteries for public offices, and that you weren't allowed multiple terms. Which is AS important in keeping public control as the votes are (if not more).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom