Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Josh Sawyer Pillars of Eternity Post-Release Interview at Gamasutra

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
If you continue your excessive one-liner shitposting in GRPGD and News, especially in News, you will soon find yourself unable to post anything at all.

Another Obsyhater.

You can shut up the opposition with your retarded mod powers, but you can't shut down the truth.

DarkUnderlord I demand the possibly retarded tag for this idiot.

Grinning Reaper

So, in your mind, this argument has been the people who hate PoE making extremely varied, well thought out, and reasonable arguments while the people who don't hate PoE have been repeating unfounded nonsense over and over again without listening to your points?

No, the point is that PoEfags can only come up with:

1. But I like it, that means it's good!!!
2. You expected too much (even though this is the best game ever), that's why you can't enjoy it!
3. HATERRRRR!!!!

In other words, typical fanbot/bethestard behavior.

1. Me liking it does not make it good any more than you disliking it makes it bad.

2. I have no idea if you personally expected too much (PoE is certainly not the best game ever), but some people clearly did expect to much and they say so themselves when they claim things about how Obsidian promised to take all "the best parts" (note: this is subjective) of BG2 and make a spiritual successor to it (note: they didn't say that). If your disappointment includes a made up promise which exceeds the bounds of their actual pitch, "Project Eternity will take the central hero, memorable companions and the epic exploration of Baldur’s Gate, add in the fun, intense combat and dungeon diving of Icewind Dale, and tie it all together with the emotional writing and mature thematic exploration of Planescape: Torment," then you are simply full of shit. Those who made up promises in their heads about this being "the best game ever" or the new and improved BG2 are leaking butthurt all over the place.

Others including Roxor and those who have been whining for months about Sawyer caring about balance (this is an essential part of game design btw, not a bad word that Sawyer invented) are continuing to whine and talk about how right they were. I am not surprised.

Many people who hate the game have some valid criticisms as well, but their valid criticisms are often packed between invalid ones and they're so blind that they can't seem to see past the flaws / imagined betrayals / entrenched hatreds to any of the good aspects of the game.

3. Yeah, fanboy(/fanbot/PoEfags) is a much more well thought out and meaningful criticism than hater. This shit is on both sides, if you missed that then you are delusional.

You people who hate PoE aren't making any more good points than your opposition by the way, you're just mimicking Roxor as if his arguments are your own. I don't need to sit here and explain every strength of the game to every butthurt moron who thinks Sawyer raped his mum. Pointing out the incorrectness or idiocy of your arguments is good enough for me, like I'm doing with 1, 2, and 3 right here! I imagine that the strengths will be clearly laid out in the next review alongside the weaknesses and they can be repeated by me at that point (since that seems to be the status quo for arguments). At that point I also expect you morons to make retarded circlejerking jokes about how "even the positive review shows that the game is shit" because VD or Grunk actually pointed out the strengths and weaknesses while you disregard the fact that Roxor simply didn't bother to do one of those. Couldn't possibly be that the review you love is shit.

Grinning Reaper

So, in your mind, this argument has been the people who hate PoE making extremely varied, well thought out, and reasonable arguments while the people who don't hate PoE have been repeating unfounded nonsense over and over again without listening to your points?

2. You expected too much (even though this is the best game ever), that's why you can't enjoy it!
3. HATERRRRR!!!!

You have logical arguments from some of the critics, including in the Roxor review, but from the apologists, it's mostly hysterical reciting of the same line over and over. I haven't seen a concise defence of PoE's mechanics' state (which is unfinished) or counter arguments to any of the criticism it has been given on the Codex.

No, the arguments of the critics are the only ones that seem logical to you because you agree with them. You fucks are also reciting the same shit over and over gain, get over yourself. How you can possibly include Roxor's review in your equation is beyond me, since as you know it's the only review to come out so far. Weighing a review + PoE haters talking about how much they hate it against just those who like PoE talking about how they like it seems to be inherently problematic.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
(this is an essential part of game design btw, not a bad word that Sawyer invented)

Single player-MMO is an essential part of game design. Yeah, sure.

I don't need to sit here and explain every strength of the game to every butthurt moron who thinks Sawyer raped his mum.
No, the arguments of the critics are the only ones that seem logical to you because you agree with them.

Likewise, you just agree with those who agree with you and disagree with those who disagree with you. Therefore, typical fanbot.

The critics at least had arguments. All you had is THIS IS GOOD CUZ ITZ GOOD or THIS IS ESSENTIAL TO GAME DESIGN THEREFORE ITS GOOD.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
(this is an essential part of game design btw, not a bad word that Sawyer invented)

I don't need to sit here and explain every strength of the game to every butthurt moron who thinks Sawyer raped his mum.
No, the arguments of the critics are the only ones that seem logical to you because you agree with them.

Likewise, you just agree with those who agree with you and disagree with those who disagree with you. Therefore, typical fanbot. It's good cuz it's good.

Shut up, Obsyhater.

Weasel
You people who hate PoE aren't making any more good points than your opposition by the way, you're just mimicking Roxor as if his arguments are your own.

No, the arguments of the critics are the only ones that seem logical to you because you agree with them. You fucks are also reciting the same shit over and over gain, get over yourself. How you can possibly include Roxor's review in your equation is beyond me, since as you know it's the only review to come out so far. Weighing a review + PoE haters talking about how much they hate it against just those who like PoE talking about how they like it seems to be inherently problematic.

It might be the only front page review out, but others have posted their criticisms (which differ from Roxor's) before his piece. A couple of examples:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...illars-of-eternity-very-minor-spoilers.98295/
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/pillars-of-eternity-mastermind-review.98512/
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...hat-contributes-to-banality-of-gameplay.98429

There are plenty of others in the PoE subforum. And there has been criticism since the beta came out and we got a first glimpse of the gameplay. The idea that people are just "mimicking Roxor" seems bizarre to me as his review is actually late to the party when it comes to criticising the game.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
You people who hate PoE aren't making any more good points than your opposition by the way, you're just mimicking Roxor as if his arguments are your own.

It might be the only front page review out, but others have posted their criticisms (which differ from Roxor's) before his piece. A couple of examples:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...illars-of-eternity-very-minor-spoilers.98295/
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/pillars-of-eternity-mastermind-review.98512/
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...hat-contributes-to-banality-of-gameplay.98429

There are plenty of others in the PoE subforum. And there has been criticism since the beta came out and we got a first glimpse of the gameplay. The idea that people are just "mimicking Roxor" seems bizarre to me as his review is actually late to the party when it comes to criticising the game.

Retards will always criticize what they don't like.

Grinning Reaper

Some are mimicking Roxor, some are not. My main point here is that saying that the review from Roxor plus everything else we've said sure seems to outweigh what you guys have said (without a proper review). Also, see point 1, disregarding your opponents points as illogical because you disagree with them doesn't mean they don't exist. I simply don't agree that those who like PoE have made no reasonable points as to why, those points are simply ignored by those who hate PoE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
I've made hundreds of posts on the strength of this game, you can check them on the threads in the PoE subforum. It's not perfect, but then again, which game is? People in this site play Skyrim, Minecraft and Chinese/Korean mmos. Don't be fooled by all this monocle talk.

Btw, Underrail = Overrated

Grinning Reaper

Balance has nothing to do with MMOs or multiplayer anything, moron. Do you think that weapon damages, armor resistances, class and racial bonuses, experience progression requirements, and every other number value is determined by devs rolling some fucking dice? No, they plan these things out and, OH NOES!!, balance them against each other. In every game you ever played. MMO-specific balance has absolutely fuck all to do with a sigle player game.

Likewise, you just agree with those who agree with you and disagree with those who disagree with you. Therefore, typical fanbot.

The critics at least had arguments. All you had is THIS IS GOOD CUZ ITZ GOOD or THIS IS ESSENTIAL TO GAME DESIGN THEREFORE ITS GOOD.

I never said that PoE is good because balance is good, idiot. Balance is, as I said, in every game ever. I addressed these things in my post, if you don't see how you just proved every point I was making, then you clearly can't read.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
FeelTheR(et)a(r)ds is an exceptionally determined moron that frequently takes dump in almost every Obsidian related thread and that has been his modus operandi since the kickstarter launch (if not before). Don't waste your time by arguing with him - simply sit back and watch his incompetently disguised but ever prevailing (and extremely delicious) butthurt.

:kingcomrade:

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Balance has nothing to do with MMOs or multiplayer anything, moron. Do you think that weapon damages, armor resistances, class and racial bonuses, experience progression requirements, and every other number value is determined by devs rolling some fucking dice? No, they plan these things out and, OH NOES!!, balance them against each other. In every game you ever played. MMO-specific balance has absolutely fuck all to do with a sigle player game.

No, dumbshit, but this is what Sawyer's balance is and the source of pretty much all that's wrong with the game and this is what's criticized, not just the fact that he's trying to balance stuff.

I never said that PoE is good because balance is good, idiot. Balance is, as I said, in every game ever. I addressed these things in my post, if you don't see how you just proved every point I was making, then you clearly can't read.

Well, seeing as you can't comprehend what's being criticized I'd say you either can't read or you are a moron or you are Drog.

I'm sure you'll tell me how Sawyer's balance is great and why, though, right? You wouldn't just say it's great and get on with it, would you?

Grinning Reaper

No, dumbshit, but this is what Sawyer's balance is and the source of pretty much all that's wrong with the game and this is what's criticized, not just the fact that he's trying to balance stuff.

Prove it, prove that "Sawyer's balance" is soo much more like an MMO than the balance in every other single player CRPG. I don't have any fucking interest in rebutting an argument that you never even backed up in the first place. And the other people spewing this shit about "Sawyer's balance" haven't either.

Well, seeing as you can't comprehend what's being criticized I'd say you either can't read or you are a moron or you are Drog.

I'm sure you'll tell me how Sawyer's balance is great and why, though, right? You wouldn't just say it's great and get on with it, would you?

Once again, you're either incapable of reading or you're being willfully ignorant. I never said that "Sawyer's balance is great," I said that balance is in every game. I haven't seen any reason to believe that Sawyer is implementing some special brand of MMO balance into a single player game. Perhaps I should take CyberWhale's advice and stop flattering your idiotic deflections with a response.

Ulrox

Arbiter

3. HATERRRRR!!!!

I generally agreed with a lot of the - lets call them :"hater's" points, untill they started circlejerking about how amazingly awesome their points are and how benign people who like PoE's points are.

This type of circlejerking is the same kind of thing that high school students use to bully other's points into submission, which is not how 'gentlemanly' discussion should happen. It is this kind of stupidity that makes me stop caring at all for 'discussion'. If this kind of thing continues I'll simply see myself out. I have more productive things to do with my time.

Bonerbill

Augur
If you continue your excessive one-liner shitposting in GRPGD and News, especially in News, you will soon find yourself unable to post anything at all.

Kind of a retard to ban him for that after all the crap you allow on this forum. You shouldn't be bias against him just because you hate the game like some of the other people here.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member

Kind of a retard to ban him for that after all the crap you allow on this forum. You shouldn't be bias against him just because you hate the game like some of the other people here.
Yes, I have almost 230h in the game on Steam because I hate it so much. When the expansion comes out I will play some more, just to be sure how much I hate it. Probably will have to play it 7 times to be absolutely certain.
I also didn't ban him by the way. Perhaps he should have just heeded my warning instead of immediately going full retard in site feedback. But yes, just another case of bias, RPGCodex going down the toilet since 2002.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Prove it, prove that "Sawyer's balance" is soo much more like an MMO than the balance in every other single player CRPG. I don't have any fucking interest in rebutting an argument that you never even backed up in the first place. And the other people spewing this shit about "Sawyer's balance" haven't either.

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Weapon

I think that speaks for itself. If not then how about shitty rewards and removing any incentive to fight in a game where you are forced to fight. All in the name of the mighty balance because we can't have players get more XP than allowed and ruins Sawyers oh so carefully and ingeniously crafted balance!!!

Balance in all gamess indeed.

Grinning Reaper

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Weapon

I think that speaks for itself.

A big list of weapons with varying types of damage and other attributes is your proof that PoE is more MMO-like than other games? Please expand on that, it currently doesn't make any sense at all. There are many different types of weapons with different base attributes and different special modifiers, from doing different types of damage, to doing more damage, to draining endurance, doing more damage and more often against particular types of enemies, and so on. If your complaint is that varied itemization is lacking somewhat when compared to the IE games, then I would disagree completely. I do think that it can feel that way at times due to a majority of the modifiers being able to be enchanted on by the player, and due to the extreme outliers (the best weapons) not being as far outside those which you can create yourself. This has nothing to do with MMOs, though.

If not then how about shitty rewards and removing any incentive to fight in a game where you are forced to fight.

So, MMOs don't have combat XP? First I'm hearing of it, sounds unlikely, but I don't play MMOs. Again, though, a lack of combat XP has hardly anything to do with balance and certainly doesn't prove this game is MMO-like...

All in the name of the mighty balance because we can't have players get more XP than allowed and ruins Sawyers oh so carefully and ingeniously crafted balance!!!

Neither of the "problems" you listed have much to do with balance really. The lack of combat XP is about 1) simplifying the XP system, and 2) not punishing players by encouraging one *best* style - kill everything - while those who want to roleplay a sneakier or pacifist character are left without most of the XP. You have some issue with expanding roleplaying options? Doesn't matter, as it also has nothing to do with balance, and certainly nothing to do with MMOs in particular. The game is actually pretty open in terms of XP progression by the way, you can finish each act at hugely different levels depending on what you've done so far, so the sentiment of Sawyer trying to constantly control the characters levels really makes no sense, nothing like that exists in the game. The "balancing" of playstyles is balance-related, but it certainly doesn't make the game more like an MMO because, again, balance is in fact in all games.

Yes, balance in all games is right, it's a part of game development. Please attempt to get this concept into your head so I won't have to repeat myself again. Go ahead and tell me which games didn't give balance consideration during development, I'll be glad to explain to you how wrong you are. Or, if you'd prefer, list your favorite games, and I'll be happy to show you the balance considerations that went into the design. You still don't seem to be grasping the concept of balance in the first place, as I suspected, so kindly learn what the term means before you try to use it in your arguments.

Last edited by a moderator:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
All those things have to do with balance, Sawyer's version of it at least, because they help him keep a tight leash on everything. Simplifying the XP system is an easy way to achieve that.

Expanding roleplaying options? :lol: Yeah, limiting what you can do gives you more options. :gumpyhead:

You still don't seem to be grasping the concept of balance in the first place, as I suspected, so kindly learn what the term means before you try to use it in your arguments.

You still don't understand that there's balance and then there's reducing everything to the most basic systems so you can control everything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom