Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Josh Sawyer Pillars of Eternity Post-Release Interview at Gamasutra

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
Maybe I'm really a Grognard, but I think turn-based combat is better for D&D (and D&D lookalike) party CRPGs. It was really good in the Goldbox games and it would have been better for ALL IE games and PoE.

I think so too. But then I don't consider Baldurs Gate or Icewind Dale to be D&D games. They would have been better off being fully squad tactical game like men of war. It's fitting that the infinity engine was initially meant for a RTS game, this is exactly the feeling I got out of it the first time.

imweasel

You conditioned yourself to hate PoE long before you ever played it though
So you're saying that one can allegedly brainwash or condition himself to hate an RPG with years of training independent of the game being great or not.

The butthurt and absurdity of the Obsidian apologists is reaching alarming levels ITT.

Hegel

Arcane
Yeah, it's like going back home to find the woman you love in bed getting plowed by several fat fucks of various ethnicity and social condition. That's how bad Obsidian cuckolded us.

imweasel

Thank you for insight on human psychology, Prof. Dr. Psy. Volrath. Please share with us how you managed to condition yourself to actually like this turd.

I doubt you can call me an Obsidian apologist either.
Maybe not, but you're definitely butthurt.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Thank you for insight on human psychology, Prof. Dr. Psy. Volrath. Please share with us how you managed to condition yourself to actually like this turd.
I don't, I just don't think it's complete and utter shit either. A competent BG1 clone with better roleplaying opportunities and equally shit and boring combat.

I doubt you can call me an Obsidian apologist either.
Maybe not, but you're definitely butthurt.
Obviously :M

Xorazm

Cipher
It's remarkable to me that, following these threads, the people who like the game tend to come with a fairly balanced sense of "there's some things I like and there's some things I didn't like, but on the whole I'd say it's a net positive" while the detractors seem wrapped up in an emotional frenzy of THIS GAME IS SUCH SHIT IT RAPED MY MOTHER AND EXTINGUISHED THE SUN ARMAGARMAGARMGAH

It's like a weird sort of inverse Biodrone thing, where the world reduces to two opinions only, and it's just as annoying as that shallow sort of blind love. I get that the game is a mess and it might not engage you enough to wade through it all to come to a balanced assessment of what works and what doesn't, but at least admit that your opinion is shallow. I wouldn't put much stock in the opinion of a person who turned off a movie halfway through, so I don't quite get why people feel the need to broadcast their final, definitive conclusions after seeing about a fifth of the entire game.

It doesn't bother me when people hate the game. It bothers me when that they're so cavalier about being stupid about it.

Ninjerk

Arcane
It's remarkable to me that, following these threads, the people who like the game tend to come with a fairly balanced sense of "there's some things I like and there's some things I didn't like, but on the whole I'd say it's a net positive" while the detractors seem wrapped up in an emotional frenzy of THIS GAME IS SUCH SHIT IT RAPED MY MOTHER AND EXTINGUISHED THE SUN ARMAGARMAGARMGAH

It's like a weird sort of inverse Biodrone thing, where the world reduces to two opinions only, and it's just as annoying as that shallow sort of blind love. I get that the game is a mess and it might not engage you enough to wade through it all to come to a balanced assessment of what works and what doesn't, but at least admit that your opinion is shallow. I wouldn't put much stock in the opinion of a person who turned off a movie halfway through, so I don't quite get why people feel the need to broadcast their final, definitive conclusions after seeing about a fifth of the entire game.

It doesn't bother me when people hate the game. It bothers me when that they're so cavalier about being stupid about it.
You really haven't been paying attention, have you?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Oh, I'd say it's a net positive too. I have 60 hours with it and I'm just before the end of act 2, because I explore everywhere and everything I can. I just won't close my eyes to its problems like others seem to be doing.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera

Actually, he's correct. Well, the game isn't a mess in my opinion, it's great with some minor flaws and ample space of improvement (this is not mutually exclusive). The people who complain about it like crazy do it trolling like Darth Roxor, nitpicking little shit like Sensuki and Kz3r0 or full on retarded like FeelTheRads and newfags whose name I can't even remember.

If you read my posts explaining why the game is great in various PoE threads in the PoE forum, you'll see that I'm not in some blind love mode. I just fight fire with fire sometimes, like Magram preaches. The whore.

Weasel

It's like a weird sort of inverse Biodrone thing, where the world reduces to two opinions only, and it's just as annoying as that shallow sort of blind love. I get that the game is a mess and it might not engage you enough to wade through it all to come to a balanced assessment of what works and what doesn't, but at least admit that your opinion is shallow.

Not sure how long you lurked before your join date but these arguments have been going on for a long, long time and positions are entrenched. Some of the haters are pretty edgy and some of the fanboys defend PoE against any and all criticism (and occasionally reduce arguments to made up quotes like "THIS GAME IS SUCH SHIT IT RAPED MY MOTHER AND EXTINGUISHED THE SUN ARMAGARMAGARMGAH"). Have you read Felipepepe's review thread in the PoE subforum, for example? Would you describe it as an "emotional frenzy"? Would you say Sensuki's opinion is "shallow"?

I'd have to disagree.

Ninjerk

Arcane

Actually, he's correct. Well, the game isn't a mess in my opinion, it's great with some minor flaws and ample space of improvement (this is not mutually exclusive). The people who complain about it like crazy do it trolling like Darth Roxor, nitpicking little shit like Sensuki and Kz3r0 or full on retarded like FeelTheRads and newfags whose name I can't even remember.

If you read my posts explaining why the game is great in various PoE threads in the PoE forum, you'll see that I'm not in some blind love mode. I just fight fire with fire sometimes, like Magram preaches. The whore.
You absolutely are blind love mode and have been since launch. Don't think you can sneak your contrarian bullshit past me.

I'm not willing to say the game is a complete failure or shit, but it has what I think can fairly be described as "mediocrity" issues. Yes, there are some edgelords that love to hate the game, but there has been plenty of well-reasoned and well-explained criticisms leveled at the game before and since launch. I have seen a great many fewer cogent arguments supportive of the game.

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I don't, I just don't think it's complete and utter shit either. A competent BG1 clone with better roleplaying opportunities and equally shit and boring combat.

That's damning with faint praise. For some of us, "bg1 clone with better roleplaying opportunities" is just a sophisticated way of saying "shit". It's a shit that's slightly more polished and less smelly than the older shit. So what? BG1 was bad when it was released. Doing a slightly better BG1 in 2015 takes the cake.

There are only two IE games worth even mentioning, and that's BG2 for its encounter design, variety of encounters, mage battles etc, and PST for setting a new bar in RPG storytelling. BG1? What's bg1? let's not even try to remember.

Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted
I recently read the forum rules in the site feedback forum. How is it that Irenaeus gets away with spamming the same message over and over again in so many seperate threads.

Grinning Reaper

I recently read the forum rules in the site feedback forum. How is it that Irenaeus gets away with spamming the same message over and over again in so many seperate threads.

Stop trying to censor valid opinions. If the morons get to repeat how they think the game is a worthless, irredeemable piece of shit without end, then Irenaeus gets to tell them how fucking wrong they are.

Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted

Stop trying to censor valid opinions. If the morons get to repeat how they think the game is a worthless, irredeemable piece of shit without end, then Irenaeus gets to tell them how fucking wrong they are.

By all means point out a single person who even approaches Ireneaus levels of spam. Just one. Sure people who hate the game can talk about it a fair amount, but I haven't come across a single person who just posts short simple empty hate messages repeatedly in every single forum.

Grinning Reaper

By all means point out a single person who even approaches Ireneaus levels

You know, I do try, but it's hard between schoolwork and the other forums I post to... I shall redouble my efforts :salute:

... of spam

Ireneaus isn't spamming, he's enlightening the retards masses.

Just one.

There are so many people spamming PoE hate, it would be difficult for me to pick just one. However, it doesn't really matter if one of them is as persistent as Ireneaus. Imagine Ireneaus as CHARNAME in BG and all the idiots hating on PoE as a throng of rampaging xvarts. Because there are so many of them, Ireneaus must swing his sword many times. Do you understand?

Sure people who hate the game can talk about it a fair amount, but I haven't come across a single person who just posts short simple empty hate messages repeatedly in every single forum.

His messages may be short, but they are not empty or hateful; and sometimes you must take note of how thick the skull of the person you're talking to is, and repeat yourself enough times to penetrate said skull.

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Irenaeus level of spam is Andhaira-level at the moment. 90% consisting of "lel you are butthurt top kek" one liners. There is absolutely no comparison to any detractor of PoE on an individual level.

He's already posted more than 100 messages on the Darth Roxor review thread alone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom