Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Josh Sawyer is now Obsidian's "Design Director"

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Guess who got a promotion

Every Obsidian project touched by the consequences of his leadership.

Josh Sawyer now has more influence on Obsidian projects than Chris Avellone ever did as "creative director." :smug:

Duraframe300

Arcane

Josh Sawyer now has more influence on Obsidian projects than Chris Avellone ever did as "creative director." :smug:

This is gonna be fun (As in the codex reaction to it)

Also why? Isn't this probably just the same job Chris had? Playtest their games, give feedback?

Duraframe300

Arcane
To be honest this also means means additional responsibilities for Josh. Less time on games.

So, codexers may see this either way.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
New Vegas and Pillars of Eternity: The Hit Maker.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
To be honest this also means means additional responsibilities for Josh. Less time on games.

So, codexers may see this either way.
But he's going to oversee and set the design guidelines for all projects.

1. No fun allowed
2. Design for lowest common denominator
3. Focus on balance even though the end result will be unbalanced as fuck because tight deadlines

Fry

Arcane
Didn't Avellone leave because "Creative Director" involved very little creativity? I imagine "Design Director" will involve very little designing.

It'll be interesting to see how JES adapts to executive life.

Hegel

Arcane
Told you he'd be "promoted" to a web design position while the real designers did their jobs.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Historical turn-based rpg.

Fairfax

Arcane
Not surprised. They already let him lead all of the most important projects after KOTOR2, and the other partners don't know shit about game design.

Still funny that he's taking MCA's job after all the speculation about a row between the two.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Obsidian is fast becoming a Sawyer meme turned reality.

I predict that every obsidian developed rpg released from now to the Singularity will have absolutely no fun allowed.

Latro

Arcane
The only obstacle to the path of balance is Feargus himself. Once he is assimilated to the balanced horde, the world will finally be at peace.

The Dark Age of Balance is coming.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
12nksd.jpg

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I am selling alll my Obsidian Entertainment shares and all my shares in Bike Companies for good measure.

Didn't Avellone leave because "Creative Director" involved very little creativity? I imagine "Design Director" will involve very little designing.

Directorate roles typically involve organizing and managing whatever you direct while communicating the thoughts of those who you direct to the management. That and eating lots of cake while floor gossiping.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Not surprised. They already let him lead all of the most important projects after KOTOR2, and the other partners don't know shit about game design.

Still funny that he's taking MCA's job after all the speculation about a row between the two.
Uh wasn't MCA a Creative Director? Are those roles the same thing? Why does game development have such stupid role names?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Infinitron gets the answers: http://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/142967942921/congratulations-on-your-promotion-does-it

melnorme asked: Congratulations on your promotion. Does it actually mean anything, though?

It means I’m responsible for helping with overall design direction at the studio. I’ve always talked to designers on other teams about their work, but now it’s part of my job. I talk to individual designers at all levels about challenges they’re facing and what they’re trying to accomplish. I also talk to producers and game directors about high-level design direction and focus. I try to play our games regularly to give feedback on specific issues I come across as well as areas where a team is doing well. I help review all incoming design applications and sit in on as many design interviews as is reasonable.

Currently I’m revising and updating old documentation that covers basic design principles that Obsidian has used and continues to use in our games. Obsidian is a lot larger now than it was ten years ago. Tribal knowledge only goes so far and all standards documentation needs to be regularly reviewed.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This is a great wet blanket for everyone who was excited about Boyarsky. :)

Zeriel

Arcane

NOOOOOOOOOO

*takes deep breath*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

giphy.gif

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Maybe Sawyer's hate of fun is limited to PoE because he hates that type of game. As long as the other Obsidian projects aren't pseudo-D&D romps, they are safe.

I mean he made the JSawyer mod for FNV after all.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Infinitron gets the answers: http://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/142967942921/congratulations-on-your-promotion-does-it

melnorme asked: Congratulations on your promotion. Does it actually mean anything, though?

It means I’m responsible for helping with overall design direction at the studio. I’ve always talked to designers on other teams about their work, but now it’s part of my job. I talk to individual designers at all levels about challenges they’re facing and what they’re trying to accomplish. I also talk to producers and game directors about high-level design direction and focus. I try to play our games regularly to give feedback on specific issues I come across as well as areas where a team is doing well. I help review all incoming design applications and sit in on as many design interviews as is reasonable.

Currently I’m revising and updating old documentation that covers basic design principles that Obsidian has used and continues to use in our games. Obsidian is a lot larger now than it was ten years ago. Tribal knowledge only goes so far and all standards documentation needs to be regularly reviewed.

So, yeah. More or less the same thing. Playtest, talk with designers and write the high level direction documents. More or less what Chris did.

Duraframe300

Arcane

It's high level. Unless Sawyer goes tyranny (And I really doubt he has the time now) thats probably the one thing Codexers should be least upset about.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, yeah. More or less the same thing. Playtest, talk with designers and write the high level direction documents. More or less what Chris did.

Wasn't Chris more focused on narrative design aspects, though?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom