Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Josh Sawyer interviewed at Ragequit.gr and Darkstation

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
Most people nowadays have difficulty in reading, which explains complains about "long winded" text in PoE and also explains the success of Saturday Morning Cartoon Fallout 4. It's truly an intellectual decline we're watching.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Most people nowadays have difficulty in reading, which explains complains about "long winded" text in PoE and also explains the success of Saturday Morning Cartoon Fallout 4.

No : if PoE'writing was deemed long-winded and boring, that's because it is static, needlessly flowery and suffers from Wikipedia syndrome, when it could have been dynamic and engrossing like in PS:T for example.

Sure, it was well received and successful. I liked the game myself. People who stayed to see the end (or most of it, a lot of people write these reviews without completing games) liked it, the problem is that not many did. You just have to look at how the first DLC bombed to see it.
Why do you think it bombed? Since first part's release game sold 100k+ copies. To this kind of game this is a success.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
No : if PoE'writing was deemed long-winded and boring, that's because it is static, needlessly flowery and suffers from Wikipedia syndrome, when it could have been dynamic and engrossing like in PS:T for example.

I think PS:T is better written, yes. The rest of your post is pure bullshit. The game is not static, with situations changing according to your decisions and quest resolutions, not to mention the amusing end-slides. It's very descriptive and engrossing and takes care to introduce and explain new and alien concepts of the new setting in a well-paced development.

Please kill yourself immediately You are welcome to disagree, of course.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Sure, it was well received and successful. I liked the game myself. People who stayed to see the end (or most of it, a lot of people write these reviews without completing games) liked it, the problem is that not many did. You just have to look at how the first DLC bombed to see it.
Did the DLC even have that much marketing? If not for the codex, I would not have known.

Fairfax

Arcane

Why do you think it bombed? Since first part's release game sold 100k+ copies. To this kind of game this is a success.
100k+? Where does that number come from? If that's the case, then it's not a failure as I imagined, but the achievement stats show only 1.3% of players got the two companions from the DLC, which is fairly early.

Did the DLC even have that much marketing? If not for the codex, I would not have known.
It had a boring trailer by Paradox and a two-day sale on Steam, so yeah, not much.

100k+? Where does that number come from? If that's the case, then it's not a failure as I imagined, but the achievement stats show only 1.3% of players got the two companions from the DLC, which is fairly early.

It had a boring trailer by Paradox and a two-day sale on Steam, so yeah, not much.
Obsidian stated in their press-release that the game sold more than 600k copies at the moment. Before WM P1 release it was around 500k, according to steamspy.
We don't know rough sales of the expansion itself, but at least it managed to provide marketing for POE (together with a discount).

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't know what's more telling. That Fallout 4 is more popular on the codex than PoE, or that PoE does not garner the attention of Fo4.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
I don't know whats more telling. That Fallout 4 is more popular on the codex than PoE, or that PoE does not garner the attention of Fo4.

To be fair, PoE garnered a lot of atention (4 reviews), mostly negative attention, despite Infinitron best efforts for a well-received positive review.

Maybe I'll write my own review and send to VentilatorOfDoom after they finish the idiotic Paradox split expansion and I play them a good number of hours.

you misspelt rat

#LMAO I thought that was a hamster

Does that means Scrooge really likes you?

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I think PS:T is better written, yes. The rest of your post is pure bullshit. The game is not static, with situations changing according to your decisions and quest resolutions, not to mention the amusing end-slides. It's very descriptive and engrossing and takes care to introduce and explain new and alien concepts of the new setting in a well-paced development.

I was not speaking of the "game", but of the writing, and not of its quality, but of the reasoning behind it (you idiot :)).
It suffers of a case of "tell, don't show" : wiki dumps, flowery descriptions with way too many details that don't pertain to the stakes at hand (and hence only manage to bog things down), second-hand knowledge of the world (sometimes crucial to the plot) that never really gets translated into player experience, use of strange languages that could have been interesting but as of now feel forced and contrived, the examples are many.

Last edited:

Copper

Savant
The 'history, man' answer - damn. Look, it's fundamentally true. Know your sources, go directly to them, and the writers who can put them into some sort of context, while being aware of those writer's biases. I've read most of Henry Mayhew's London Poor books as reference material, for instance. But the examples are a bit lacklustre, especially the last one.

No doubt infant mortality was a horrible thing that drove individuals to blame things on supernatural forces - that's always been my fundamental understanding of the supernatural, it's a way of people to externalise shit that they have very little control over (or are too dumb/uneducated to try to control). I read an interesting book that drew parallels between fairy stories and infant mortality, with the Victorian era rising standards of sanitation and mortality, for the middle classes at least, coinciding with the shift from dangerous tricksters to charming flower fairies. (There's also an interesting parallel between the putti in Renaisance art and infant mortality among the rich as a sentimental celebration of dead babies frolicking in heaven.)

But nobody gave a fuck, on a societal level. They cared about infanticide, at least in rich cities like Florence, but infant mortality was a tragic part of daily life - plenty more where they came from. So the analogy is flawed to its heart - either it's a comparable issue, in which case it's tragic but not something authority figures should feel capable of tackling due to a lack of political, judicial or economic development, or it's doomsday because both this and the normal shit of raising a child in the early-modern era, plus monsters, makes any family's survival odds pretty low, and the Dyrford should feel like Children of Men in that case, barely one step above the apocalypse of a population crash.

Valians on the other hand never feel like anything other than the 'Squabbling Cities of Merchant Princes' who are heirs to the 'Former Great Empire' shit you see in every fantasy book once the author decides to do some world building, so about David Eddings level of research and authenticity.

Turok

Erudite
In the end that didn't help either. 9% of players finished the game, and more than half never got past Act I.

I am one of those, but either i don't finish WL2 and Divinity waiting for the EE editions. For POE i am still waiting the second expansion.

Turok

Erudite
The only thing i hate about POE is the engine, run like shit on my pc.

Last edited:

Eadan

Novice
I just reached the stronghold in the game. It has been getting more fun the more I play. Should I continue playing or wait for the White Marches 2 expansion that is supposed to improve stronghold management?

Prime Junta

If you feel like continuing, continue. Just ignore the stronghold.

Backer content was dogshit because I didn't know it was irrelevant. Everything I saw was well written but I completely wasted my time trying to remember all of them, I didn't even learn those npcs were backer content until after I quit playing. It was just a terrible implementation of backer content. I loved what Wasteland 2 did.

MrMarbles

Cipher
Sawyer wrote Pallegina?:lol:

index_zps71w5rpp3.jpg

May he live forever

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Pallegina was the perfect character. A dumb niggarete fast-tracked into a position which she didn't have enough skill to handle and later chimping out and needing the player to solve her problems.

Perfect.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom