Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Josh Sawyer interviewed at Ragequit.gr and Darkstation

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: J.E. Sawyer; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

Balancer-in-chief Josh Sawyer has been making the rounds on the interview circuit recently. Here's a recent interview with him at Greek gaming site Ragequit.gr, where he talks about Pillars of Eternity, the state of isometric RPGs in general, and more. There's some honest talk here, and also a mention of the possibility of Obsidian releasing a turn-based tactical game, something Josh has been doing repeatedly in recent weeks. Who knows, maybe it'll actually happen. Here's the relevant snippet from the interview:

RQ: Now that Pillars has been out for a respectable amount of time, do you have any "regrets" about it, design or content-wise? Is there anything you now wish you could have added/removed or changed in it before its release?

JS: The stronghold never really got the content it needed to make it feel worthwhile or important. During development we realized that if we had someone focusing on stronghold content, it would jeopardize other quests that we felt were more valuable. That's why the stronghold wound up being system-heavy and content-light. It's something we're trying to address with our 3.0 patch, which will be available when The White March, Part II, goes live.

Not all of the companions were tightly connected to the storyline. The companion I wrote, Pallegina, is one of the most disconnected. I think their connection to the central plot could have been stronger and there could have been better reactivity among them to both your choices and each other's' actions.

In the early game, it was very difficult to communicate all of the ideas that form the hook for your character's motivation. I think trying to communicate more cleanly or focusing more on the difficult concepts (in particular, the negative aspects of being a Watcher) would have drawn people in more easily.

RQ: At the end of the elaborate Numenera corebook, Monte Cook provides a brief list of book titles from which he drew inspiration when he was creating the game (and as good resources for further reading). Could you name a few of yours, while making Pillars?

JS: Sure. They're mostly history books. The rise of Saint Waidwen was inspired by "Peasant Fires: The Drummer of Niklashausen" by Richard Wunderli. The Vailian Republics were inspired by various accounts of the early Renaissance Italian republics, e.g. "The Prince", but also Christopher Hibbert's "The House of Medici: Its Rise and Fall". The general panic and malaise of Waidwen's Legacy were inspired by the real pre-19th century infant mortality rates of most of the world (often around 50%) and the Black Death in Europe. Infant mortality caused so much grief that it was sometimes used as the basis for accusations of witchcraft, either against the unfortunate mother or a midwife who had helped with a series of ill-fated births. Of course, people who tried to apply various folk remedies for problems with childbirth also often failed and they could be accused of witchcraft. You can get a good general overview of European witch-hunting hysteria from Kors and Peters' terrific "Witchcraft in Europe, 400-1700: A Documentary History".

The machinations of the Hand Occult and the Leaden Key are the only parts that are really inspired by fiction -- though admittedly works of historical fiction by Umberto Eco. "The Name of the Rose" deals with murders in a monastic order that revolve around the preservation (and containment) of knowledge. Baudolino's titular character conspires with his friends at the University of Paris to write various false histories to legitimize Frederick I's rule. Their false histories and the false histories written by other parties wind up becoming part of the historical canon, i.e. "real" history as far as anyone knows.

RQ: Other than the White March two-part expansion, the card game and the e-books, what else is there in the Pillars of Eternity "master plan"? Do you aim to release any more expansions or other forms of extra content for the first game before starting to work more actively on a sequel?

JS: The expansion, card game, and e-books are keeping us pretty busy, but we're talking about ideas for a sequel. Yesterday the lead team had a meeting to talk about high-level goals that we'd like to accomplish and it went well, but we're still in the early phases of planning. Bobby Null and I have also talked to Feargus about the possibility of making a separate game in the Pillars of Eternity setting focused on turn-based combat. Pillars of Eternity's area sizes and input systems don't translate well to non-PC formats, but I think a turn-based game could be very cool.

RQ: Taking for granted that there will be a "Pillars 2" eventually in the future, and using the company's experience so far as a guide and general compass, do you think you would return to crowdfunding in order to fund the possible sequel (fully, or at least partially)?

JS: I think it will depend on what we're looking at for our overall scope. Crowdfunding was a huge success for Pillars of Eternity and I know a lot of people have expressed an eagerness to support crowdfunding for a future sequel, but I believe we have to be careful about how we approach it. There's always a danger of asking too much of people or giving a bad impression by how a crowdfunding campaign is structured.
Earlier this month there was also a great audio interview with Josh at Darkstation. You can check out my summary of that here.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Bobby Null and I have also talked to Feargus about the possibility of making a separate game in the Pillars of Eternity setting focused on turn-based combat.
"we're trying to convince this thick skull to greenlight what we and our core audience wants us to be working on"

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Notice how he's implying that the key to convincing Feargus is pointing out that unlike RTwP, turn-based can go on consoles and/or tablets.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Notice how he's implying that the key to convincing Feargus is pointing out that unlike RTwP, turn-based can go on consoles and/or tablets.
I hope he succeeds.

With Sawyer on Divine Pillars of Divinity, Fenstermaker or someone a little more narrative-focused could be directing the PoE sequel and make it denser and richer.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath

RQ: At the end of the elaborate Numenera corebook, Monte Cook provides a brief list of book titles from which he drew inspiration when he was creating the game (and as good resources for further reading). Could you name a few of yours, while making Pillars?

JS: Sure. They're mostly history books. The rise of Saint Waidwen was inspired by "Peasant Fires: The Drummer of Niklashausen" by Richard Wunderli. The Vailian Republics were inspired by various accounts of the early Renaissance Italian republics, e.g. "The Prince", but also Christopher Hibbert's "The House of Medici: Its Rise and Fall". The general panic and malaise of Waidwen's Legacy were inspired by the real pre-19th century infant mortality rates of most of the world (often around 50%) and the Black Death in Europe. Infant mortality caused so much grief that it was sometimes used as the basis for accusations of witchcraft, either against the unfortunate mother or a midwife who had helped with a series of ill-fated births. Of course, people who tried to apply various folk remedies for problems with childbirth also often failed and they could be accused of witchcraft. You can get a good general overview of European witch-hunting hysteria from Kors and Peters' terrific "Witchcraft in Europe, 400-1700: A Documentary History".

The machinations of the Hand Occult and the Leaden Key are the only parts that are really inspired by fiction -- though admittedly works of historical fiction by Umberto Eco. "The Name of the Rose" deals with murders in a monastic order that revolve around the preservation (and containment) of knowledge. Baudolino's titular character conspires with his friends at the University of Paris to write various false histories to legitimize Frederick I's rule. Their false histories and the false histories written by other parties wind up becoming part of the historical canon, i.e. "real" history as far as anyone knows.

Amazing answer, Josh is pretty :obviously: . I wonder what his favorite history books are.

Tigranes

Arcane
Chris Avellone has previously said that history is a big source, though he wishes he could consult it more often, that history often provides stories better than fantasy, and that Scott Bennie and Leonard Boyarsky have concurred in conversations with him.

Fairfax

Arcane
How did it do? This is an honest question. I didn't see anything while googling or to a quick glance in the inxile section of these forums.
From the sales of incline thread:

798kUpx.png

The star means it's the first week it entered the charts, so yeah, pretty terrible.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
The stronghold never really got the content it needed to make it feel worthwhile or important. During development we realized that if we had someone focusing on stronghold content, it would jeopardize other quests that we felt were more valuable. That's why the stronghold wound up being system-heavy and content-light.

So instead of cutting a few quests no one would notice they half-assed a part of the game everyone would notice? Good plan.

Six months later and I don't remember a single memorable quest from that game but I do remember how stupid the stronghold was.

Perkel

Arcane
So instead of cutting a few quests no one would notice they half-assed a part of the game everyone would notice? Good plan.

Six months later and I don't remember a single memorable quest from that game but I do remember how stupid the stronghold was.

Castle and that megadungeon were streatchgoals, they had to do them.
Mind you that no body expected megadungeon being that huge.

IMO they learned their lesson and they won't make that mistake again and they will focus on things that matter.

BG2 homesteads weren't interesting because they provided you with chests to store loot. They were interesting because they provided interesting quest lines you could follow and were tied more or less to characters.

----------------------
----------------------

Yeah i would love TB PoE. Give it Tim Cain as pet project and give him free will to change system to his liking.

In the end that didn't help either. 9% of players finished the game, and more than half never got past Act I.

Doesn't really matter. There are good 10 hours games and people mostly also don't finish them. People just play until they are distracted by something else and then complain about backlog.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
In the end that didn't help either. 9% of players finished the game, and more than half never got past Act I.

Out of me and my RL mates, one of us finished it (that person also finished WL2 and D:OS) and the rest of us got p. burned out by banality in Act 2. The one who finished it tried to play it again when TWM: pt1 came out and quit in Act 1 and went to play BG2 instead :lol:

DeepOcean

Arcane
I get that the game was in danger of going overbudget and that forced Obsidian to make some cuts but what is strange is that this isn't the first time this happens on an Obsidian game but it is the first time I'm bored out of my mind by an Obsidian game. Normaly we get a broken, half finished mess but a pretty fun broken half finished mess. Imagine this, Dungeon Siege 3 has a pretty short section where you enter on a town with robots patrolling the streets, globins being bankers and cyclops being factory workers on a steampunk city and a villain that managed to generate emphaty even for the short time he appeared, I was curious to explore more of this city even for the short time I saw it but Defiance Bay even having quite some content, it made me just quite bored. If the stronghold was underwhelming but the rest of the game wasn't, I wouldn't care one bit (kotor 2 didn't have a fucking ending but it didn't stop it from being a fun game) but that wasn't what happened.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
People obsessed with game length would have noticed.

Except that you hit the XP cap waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before the end of the game. So even the longer game was stupid because you end up doing stuff for no reward.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

That's still tens of thousands of people, and look how loud a few dozen can be on the Codex.

Except that you hit the XP cap waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before the end of the game. So even the longer game was stupid because you end up doing stuff for no reward.

Fixed in a patch.

Fairfax

Arcane
Doesn't really matter. There are good 10 hours games and people mostly also don't finish them. People just play until they are distracted by something else and then complain about backlog.
I'd say it definitely matters, it's the one statistic that shows how much a game gets players hooked. And longer games don't necessarily have lower completion rates. Skyrim, a much bigger game in pretty much every aspect, for all its flaws had 28% of players last time I checked.
Out of me and my RL mates, one of us finished it (that person also finished WL2 and D:OS) and the rest of us got p. burned out by banality in Act 2. The one who finished it tried to play it again when TWM: pt1 came out and quit in Act 1 and went to play BG2 instead :lol:
7 friends of mine played it. 2 finished it, the other 5 never finished Act 1.
That's still tens of thousands of people, and look how loud a few dozen can be on the Codex.

Fixed in a patch.
I see more people complaining about feature creep than lack of content. I'm pretty sure most players would've enjoyed the game a lot more if it were shorter, had more C&C and better quest design. And shorter loading times, obviously.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom