Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jeff Vogel: complete ludography for less than a fiver

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Totally worth it, though. Geneforge is awesome. Like, I acknowledge that Fallout 1 and 2 are probably better games by many objective criteria (graphics, art design, general universe building, etc), but I enjoyed playing the Geneforge series way more than I did the fallouts. And Geneforge unquestionably has better combat. And the Avernums are solid, bread and butter, turn based RPGs that you can always fall back on when you have nothing else to play.

Avadons are less than spectacular, but I don't hold that against Vogel like most of Codex seems to.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
All of them except the second Avernum were in a Humble Bundle a while back too, which is where I got them.

Repressed Homosexual
Totally worth it, though. Geneforge is awesome. Like, I acknowledge that Fallout 1 and 2 are probably better games by many objective criteria (graphics, art design, general universe building, etc), but I enjoyed playing the Geneforge series way more than I did the fallouts. And Geneforge unquestionably has better combat. And the Avernums are solid, bread and butter, turn based RPGs that you can always fall back on when you have nothing else to play.

Avadons are less than spectacular, but I don't hold that against Vogel like most of Codex seems to.

Uh no Geneforge has really bad combat, it's about exploration, design, and playing with the various underlings which you can create on the fly, but that's it.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane

Uh no Geneforge has really bad combat, it's about exploration, design, and playing with the various underlings which you can create on the fly, but that's it.

Well, I was comparing them strictly to Fallout, which has totally shit combat. I'm always shocked why people don't ding the Fallout series for its combat more often, as for a turn based game it has absolutely shit, overly simplistic, combat. The Geneforge games might not have super complex combat compared to certain other turn based games, but they are light years better than the Fallout series. The Geneforges are basically designed to be adaptable to incredibly different ways of playing, as the classes a very, very, different from each other....so there are usually a bunch of different ways to tackle combat depending on your class. Agents are spell casters who rely on things like stun to solo combat, Gaurdians are melee builds with minimal creation support, and Shapers have armies of creations with various abilities and damage types at their disposal.

Of course, I do think the GEneforges usually end up turning into over reliance on a few, class specific, exploits/strategies (especially if you are a min/max power gamer), but even still, they have way more variety and strategy involved in combat than the Fallout series.

Last edited:

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Of course, I do think the GEneforges usually end up turning into over reliance on a few, class specific, exploits/strategies (especially if you are a min/max power gamer), but even still, they have way more variety and strategy involved in combat than the Fallout series.
Quit posting, Jeff Vogel, you're drunk!

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The best way to play the Geneforge series is trying to avoid combat. It's one of the very few games where that kind of approach is feasible, fun, and entails some nice C&C.

Though commanding hordes of creatures can be fun for a while, too.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Nabbed Avernum 1-6 pack on GoG, and Nethergate for a buck off Steam.
From what I see, they'll satisfy my Ultima itch.

(I can't stand the look and feel of the CG sprites in his later games..)

TigerKnee

Arcane
Might as well play Exile if you want to play the Avernum series, really.

Geneforge at least has its own niche of existence.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I tried Avadon. Repeatedly. Could not into. Was like hitting a fake nail with a fake hammer. Felt like I was doing nothing.

Jack Dandy

Arcane

I'd gladly play 'em, but I have Win 7 64-bit and it don't run those.

From what research I did, it's an absolute bitch to emulate them as well. Virtual machines and all sorts of headache..

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Virtual machines are actually not much of a big deal. I found Windows 98 for example works best with Virtual PC 2007. It's easy and fast to setup. Just don't install the Virtual Machine Additions if you want to run the VM in fullscreen.

hakuroshi

Augur

I'd gladly play 'em, but I have Win 7 64-bit and it don't run those.

From what research I did, it's an absolute bitch to emulate them as well. Virtual machines and all sorts of headache..

You also can run Win 3.1 from DosBox, then install and play Exiles there. It's a perversion, but it works.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
As I said.. too much of a headache. I like my games to be as "direct" as possible. I know it may sound stupid, but them's the breaks

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Uh..
http://imgur.com/eDEswNO

What now? (Set it to win 98..)

Ehm... sorry, man, I totally forgot about this post. Happens a lot lately.

Well, I have no idea what you're doing, really. Do you have a W98 CD or iso plugged into VirtualPC so you can install it? VirtualPC doesn't just come with it.

Google "windows 98 in virtual pc" or something like that and you should get plenty of step by step tutorials.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Ahh- thanks man, but I'm already some ways into Avernum 1. I'll try out your suggestions too sometime, tho.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom