Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jeff Vogel: 22 games in 22 years, mostly from his basement

gromit

Arcane
You don't have to consider someone to be a lost sale, to despise them for that; the mindset behind (some of) it is enough.
worst kind said:
Yeah, I don't, like, want it, want it, because (arbitrary reason or general disdain for their work) but I may as well act like I do except for the part where I pay
and we all know a few of those. That's just a disgusting outlook.

But even with the "would if I coulds," etc, it's never really justified, just rationalized with various degrees of social acceptability. It all boils down to "I want it but can't have it" with varying levels of sympathy / ridiculousness / outright bullshit involved in the "can't" part, seller or buyer. No judgment, just a plain fact.

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane
Its a bit beyond me how some here claim that you ruin the industry if you buy bioware games but then go along and pirate games of a small indie developer who dedicated his life to the genre and actually provides some high quality crpgs with large demos coming along all being drm free. How is that NOT ruining the industry?

Pirate his shit for god sake and play his games, but if you have fun with it then you owe this man some money. Its like with street musicians, if you stop for a second and think to yourself "hey this hobo can play his instrument pretty darn good" then you toss the fucker some coins god damnit.

almondblight

Arcane
Its a bit beyond me how some here claim that you ruin the industry if you buy bioware games but then go along and pirate games of a small indie developer who dedicated his life to the genre and actually provides some high quality crpgs with large demos coming along all being drm free.

The best part is the outrage over Vogel calling them pirates. "How dare he call me a pirate just because I pirated his game!"

mondblut

Arcane
You don't have to consider someone to be a lost sale, to despise them for that; the mindset behind (some of) it is enough.
worst kind said:
Yeah, I don't, like, want it, want it, because (arbitrary reason or general disdain for their work) but I may as well act like I do except for the part where I pay

Perfectly reasonable outlook. 90% of games I have pirated in the past 10 years just because I could, I never bothered to install. Of those few I have actually installed, in half of them I never went past the title screen before putting them away indefinitely and never coming back. Am I supposed to feel morally obliged to pay for them? Yeah, right.

Loriac

Arcane
Its a bit beyond me how some here claim that you ruin the industry if you buy bioware games but then go along and pirate games of a small indie developer who dedicated his life to the genre and actually provides some high quality crpgs with large demos coming along all being drm free. How is that NOT ruining the industry?

Pirate his shit for god sake and play his games, but if you have fun with it then you owe this man some money. Its like with street musicians, if you stop for a second and think to yourself "hey this hobo can play his instrument pretty darn good" then you toss the fucker some coins god damnit.

Totally agree on the paying for the games front, particularly when we're talking about small indie developers who are often sacrificing a lot materially to bring games to the market.

Vogel kinda looks like a hobo too, so the analogy works on both levels.

gromit

Arcane
worst kind said:

Perfectly reasonable outlook. 90% of games I have pirated in the past 10 years just because I could, I never bothered to install. Of those few I have actually installed, in half of them I never went past the title screen before putting them away indefinitely and never coming back. Am I supposed to feel morally obliged to pay for them? Yeah, right.
Well, that's not what I described, so no, probably not.

Not that compulsively pirating shit and getting past 1-in-20 title screens makes sense in any way, shape, or form... or accomplishes anything for anyone, other than fruitlessly contributing to an industry-wide panic, that results in worse and worse practices in response.

Brofisted Night Goat on principle.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom