Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jedi Outcast is a truly great game - Source Code Released

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
Something is very wrong with aiming in this game with the first guns at least, its almost impossible to hit moving targets (and the stormtroopers race around on jedi knight setting)

dunno lah

Arcane
When I played this in '03, I always used the 3rd person camera EVEN WITH GUNS....Only a few years later did I make a note to myself to never play an FPS in 3rd person view.

Unwanted

Goat Vomit

Andhaira
Andhaira
It's weird that even though it was built on the quake 3 engine that the gunplay was so completely ass in Dark Forces 3: Jedi Knight 2: Outcast. It's almost as if they, as Carrion says, intentionally made them bad so that the lightsaber would feel more satisfying when you got it. I think the shift of focus to lightsaber duels with lots of filler between them was what made me drop the series, I absolutely loved to play around with the guns in the first two games since they felt so good to use and were so much fun. Most of the real enemies were force users in Outcast so even if you wanted to use your shitty pew pew weapons they were completely ineffective most of the time, I'm not sure why they even bothered to let the player keep them after getting the lightsaber.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
It's weird that even though it was built on the quake 3 engine that the gunplay was so completely ass in Dark Forces 3: Jedi Knight 2: Outcast. It's almost as if they, as Carrion says, intentionally made them bad so that the lightsaber would feel more satisfying when you got it. I think the shift of focus to lightsaber duels with lots of filler between them was what made me drop the series, I absolutely loved to play around with the guns in the first two games since they felt so good to use and were so much fun. Most of the real enemies were force users in Outcast so even if you wanted to use your shitty pew pew weapons they were completely ineffective most of the time, I'm not sure why they even bothered to let the player keep them after getting the lightsaber.

git gud

Unwanted

Goat Vomit

Andhaira
Andhaira
I am gud, it's the weapons that are bad. Ranged weapons that shoot slow moving projectiles fired in a spread that have almost no impact or oomph to them whatsoever with an aim that's coded by interns doesn't suddenly become fun just because you're good at using them. Even the bryar pistol felt nice when it had proper speed and damage in the earlier games and all weapons saw much more use. Not to mention how great the concussion rifle from DF2:JK was.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I always thought Jedi Outcast wasn't that great of a game and definate downgrade from Dark Forces 2, which still holds up as extremely great title with great level desing, nice feel for weapons and imaginative Force abilities to go around.

Plus those acted cutscenes are totally awesome.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
It really is. I just played it recently again and the attention to detail is amazing, while level design is definately one of the best there. I'm really not understanding how that didn't become the industry standard of a game and Half-life, which felt like shoddy game after JK did. Minds are being blown by poor decisions.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I am gud, it's the weapons that are bad. Ranged weapons that shoot slow moving projectiles fired in a spread that have almost no impact or oomph to them whatsoever with an aim that's coded by interns doesn't suddenly become fun just because you're good at using them. Even the bryar pistol felt nice when it had proper speed and damage in the earlier games and all weapons saw much more use. Not to mention how great the concussion rifle from DF2:JK was.
I have a huge boner for the Concussion Rifle too.

Guns work great in DF2, but the lightsaber is very bad. On the other hand, guns are terrible in JO/JA while the lightsaber works very good.

The projectiles are way too slow, inaccurate, deal too little damage and has too low rate of fire to be of any use. On top of this is the worst crosshair I've ever seen in a shooter, by the Force, that choppy transition when you move your aim from object to object? What the fuck? The theory that they made gunplay intentionally bad to make the lightsaber seem even more awesome doesn't sound that far-fetched, actually.

I love the huge levels and fast gameplay in DF2.

I love the progression of power and the story/characters in JO. Billy Dee Williams, man!

I love the crazy and varied levels in JA, like the train fight, the level where you don't have your lightsaber, the mutated rancor, the ravine with the ancient Jedi tomb etc.

Great games, great games.

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
The only thing you have to remember to do in JO/JA is turn on full dismemberment.

Game became the best game as I cut Stormtroopers in half.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
You could dismember lots of things in DF2.

Guns work great in DF2, but the lightsaber is very bad. On the other hand, guns are terrible in JO/JA while the lightsaber works very good.

I disagree. Lightsaber was excellent. It wasn't the godly weapon and took a certain amount of player-skill to actually be useful. It reminded me a lot of OT lightsaber handling in the good way, more elegant weapon for more civilized times so to speak. In following games it became practically IWIN button while in DF2 you need to aim lot more, not attack so recklessly and actually think which type of attack you'll use.

It just wasn't flashy and felt like cheating while not cheating so people seem more accepting of it in later ones.

Plus, the dude was like beginner with handling so it even makes sense "in character" if you need justification for "bad" (a silly notion) handling.

Last edited:

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
Oh, I know, I love Jedi Knight to death.

I just have good memories of JO and finding those console commands to turn on full dismemberment.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Lightsabers in Jedi Knight took some work to get used to, but were mandatory against force opponents. I liked that balance. Weapons against normal opponents, lightsabers for duels. Felt very Star Warsy.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
And if you actually practicted blocking a bit, it was good in every enviroment, it just isn't automated IWIN button for you to press. There's really no shot you cannot block from standard weapons if you just aim correctly, unless out of luck but that typically was not too common to actually make it impossible.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I disagree. Lightsaber was excellent. It wasn't the godly weapon and took a certain amount of player-skill to actually be useful. It reminded me a lot of OT lightsaber handling in the good way, more elegant weapon for more civilized times so to speak. In following games it became practically IWIN button while in DF2 you need to aim lot more, not attack so recklessly and actually think which type of attack you'll use.

It just wasn't flashy and felt like cheating while not cheating so people seem more accepting of it in later ones.

Plus, the dude was like beginner with handling so it even makes sense "in character" if you need justification for "bad" (a silly notion) handling.
I don't really agree with it being an elegant weapon. In JO, it feels like a sword you're swinging, while in DF2 it's more like a stick you're awkwardly thrusting. This despite the swinging animation. The attack animation and where the lightsaber actually hits didn't seem entirely connected.

Last time I used the DF2 lightsaber was 4-5 years ago, but that's what I remember about it.

Oh, and I played in third person (the game defaults to that, I think). Does it work better in first person?

And if you actually practicted blocking a bit, it was good in every enviroment, it just isn't automated IWIN button for you to press. There's really no shot you cannot block from standard weapons if you just aim correctly, unless out of luck but that typically was not too common to actually make it impossible.

I had no idea how blocking projectiles worked. Upon reading up on it on the internet, it seems you get better at blocking every level(?), and you're supposed to aim at the shooter.

I remember being unable to deflect shit in the first level with the lightsaber, aiming straight at the shooter and only deflecting an insignificant percentage of blaster bolts, and thought that was the extent of blocking in this game. :D

In JO, you have this Force Power called Force Deflection that easily shows that you get better in blocking, not to mention the huge jumps going from level 1 to 2 and from 2 to 3. I'm not saying that's better, but it did a better job informing the player you get better at blocking as the game progresses.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
It really is. I just played it recently again and the attention to detail is amazing, while level design is definately one of the best there. I'm really not understanding how that didn't become the industry standard of a game and Half-life, which felt like shoddy game after JK did. Minds are being blown by poor decisions.

It's all about the optics. Jedi Knight was delayed and on its release it looked dated. Half-Life looked top-of-the-line when it came out.

I have a feeling 99% of reviewers who gave Half-Life top score never got past the first half.

7h30n

Augur
Ow man, I need to replay DF2 yet again.

I remember when my parents bought me DF2: Jedi Knight and I wa like wth is this shit. Some unknown people on the front cover. When I started playing I was amazed: Best game ever!

I liked JO a lot, though not as much as DF2. On both I spent tons of hours both on single player and multi player.

balmorar

Arcane
Queued Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy Edgy
So has anybody made anything interesting with the source code? I only saw an Android version of JO (and JA). Where are the graphics mods?

balmorar

Arcane
Queued Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy Edgy
Jedi Knight 2: Reborn

http://www.moddb.com/mods/jedi-knight-2-hd-remake

JK2_Yavin.png

JK2_Kejim.png

JK29.png

Release Date: Never

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom