Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Javelin - party-based d20 roguelike (open-source RPG / strategy game)

kek

JavelinRL
Developer
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓ FAST-FORWARD TO JAVELIN 1.6 ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...based-java-d20-rpg.107190/page-2#post-4639616
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello RPG fans! Today Javelin 1.1 is officially released, the first update after the game has been made public!

Javelin is a free open-source single-player role-playing game written in Java that uses d20 as the rule system – more widely known as Dungeons and Dragons (versions 3.0 and 3.5) and its successor Pathfinder.

New features of this version are:

Dungeons!
Vehicles!
Portals!
Tournaments!
The Tower of Haxor!
Many new, randomly-generated battle maps!
Lots of UI and AI improvements!
Each town now has a unique selection of items and upgrades
Towns now take a certain amount of time to craft items and train heroes
In-battle power-ups for special battles
A total of 136 monsters, 27 items, 57 upgrades and 25 spells

The new version can be downloaded here: https://github.com/tukkek/javelin/releases/download/1.1/javelin.zip

If you need information on how to get the game working or how to start playing or if you want to learn more about the game: https://javelinrl.wordpress.com/2015/09/01/hello-world/

Some computers may experience slow down after a while on long battles. If this happens to you try reducing the thinking time or disabling the cache by editing the file “preferences.properties” with Wordpad, Libre Office, Microsoft Word or other decent text editor. Let us know if you experience this issue and if the problem was solved after changing your preferences :)

Also I’d be happy to hear your opinions about the game so you’re more than welcome to comment here or on our new official forum at reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/javelinrl

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Looping at the source code, (or the help texts) it seems too be turn-based. (It won't start on my computer).

Rapid shot: you can make an extra ranged attack but have a -2 penalty to all attacks for a turn (dexterity 13).

<div class="block">Player acts and ends turn, allowing time to pass.</div>

kek

JavelinRL
Developer
Yes, it is turn-based, of course :D

vonAchdorf: Do you have Java installed? Assuming you're running Windows can you try to open a command line in the extracted directory and run (type and ENTER) start.bat and post here whatever errors it displays? It would be of great help since I'm releasing this today and a lot of people could be having the same problem!

kek

JavelinRL
Developer
I believe Java 1.6 would work fine but you should really be using the latest version due to security fixes. Javelin doesn't use the Internet so it isn't a risk to your computer but other installed Java programs could be!

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I believe Java 1.6 would work fine but you should really be using the latest version due to security fixes. Javelin doesn't use the Internet so it isn't a risk to your computer but other installed Java programs could be!

I think it needs at least 1.8 because

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: java.lang.Class.getTypeName()Ljava/lang/String;
and getTypeName is available since 1.8.

kek

JavelinRL
Developer
My bad then, I was working with Java 6 but changed computers recently, new environment must have allowed me to use Java 8 stuff. I thought I had Java 6 configured in Eclipse...

By the way can anyone explain to me the CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM achievement? xD

Crichton

Prophet
I downloaded this last night and played for ~10 min with a party consisting of:

Mountain Dwarf
Deep Dwarf
Duergar

I had a little fun fighting it out with orcs, goblins and donkeys (FWI, the aggressiveness and combat effectiveness of donkeys takes a little getting used to). I think going forward the priorities ought to be 1) robust character creation and 2) intuitive use of special abilities. (All I figured out how to do with my dwarves is auto-attack.) I think if you can do those two things (and maybe work a little on loot), you can be hugely successful without anything else. The party-based roguelike thing worked out fine, AI moves seemed a little slow, but nothing irritating.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Looks great, will be trying this weekend. thanks for sharing.

By the way can anyone explain to me the CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM achievement? xD

Meme gone wrong. Better not ask... Welcome to the asylum.

kek

JavelinRL
Developer
Thanks David, I will try to heed your words, you know what they say about starting into the abyss XD

Crichton: both things you pointed out may come from a lack of understanding of the d20 system. Level 1 characters in this system are pretty much weaklings and character "creation" is done through advancement which is much more involved and complex than traditional roguelikes (where you usually have only a choice of which attribute to level up on, when you have it). Javelin takes that to another level by offering 57 upgrades and 25 spells to choose from as you level up. I think you'll understand the game better if you venture further into it but I appreciate your feedback anyway.

The AI was indeed a bit slow which is why I released an improved version 1.2 a few days after 1.1 - a minor release with a few bugfixes and incorporating some of the community feedback. You could check it out to see if it works better. Also there is a preference.properties file in which you can set exactly how much time you want the AI to be thinking for (defaults to 2 and a half seconds).

Crichton

Prophet
Kek-

I've played a little more and I think your system of random upgrades could lead to some interesting combinations eventually but I still think you'd be better off with traditional D20 character creation. If I compare this party of dwarves to another party of three dwarves I played once, a cleric, a druid and a wizard in ToEE; the latter all had distinct feats, class abilities and spell lists from level 1 which made choosing a party composition much more meaningful.

kek

JavelinRL
Developer
Calm down everyone, mountain dwarves will not be removed from the game! (any DCSS fans in the house?)

Crichton: the problem with using traditional d20 character classes is that every class has many distinct features, sometimes at pretty much every level so it's a terrible amount of work, especially considering how some of these can be quite complicated (from barbarian rage to bard music). So it's usually easier to create something as an individual upgrade, like sneak attack from the rogue class and let the player create their own characters as they level up.

Of course I'd love to have all the d20 classes in the game but it's not something that I can do on my own or without funding right now. Here is an example of how "simple" you average d20 class can be http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/bard.htm

Last edited:

kek

JavelinRL
Developer
Javelin is a free open-source single-player role-playing game written in Java that uses d20 as the rule system – also found in Dungeons and Dragons (versions 3.0 and 3.5) and its successor Pathfinder

overworld2.png

1.3 release features
  • 6 independent, opposing factions to play against at every game!
  • City-building, automatic or manual!
  • Equippable artifacts!
  • 6 new location types to explore on the world map!
  • 2 new unique locations: mercenary guild and artificer!
  • Skill system, featuring 13 different skills!
  • New units can now be acquired by spending XP
  • The world map now has to be explored
  • Dungeon redesign, featuring traps
  • 137 monsters
  • 28 items, 33 artifacts
  • 53 upgrades, 25 spells, 13 skills
More information on release 1.3 here https://javelinrl.wordpress.com/2016/04/29/javelin-1-3/

Game features for those new to Javelin
  • True artificial intelligence with easily customizeable thinking time!
  • Uses a d20 (D&D) variant rule system, balancing classic hack-and-slash with a more dynamic turn sequence!
  • A dynamic game world with locations to explore and 6 independent computer factions!
  • Party-based gameplay - control one or more squads, not just a single hero!
  • You choose how to level up your team!
  • In-game help! Either by pressing h or function keys (F1, F2, F3...)! for the game guides.
More information about the game here https://javelinrl.wordpress.com/2016/04/29/hello-world/

Happy gaming :)

kek

JavelinRL
Developer
Guys thank you all for your brofists but please try to reply with something. Why are you brofisting this, do you like the game? The idea?

Actually replying really helps by bumping the thread up on the forums and since this is one of the biggest venues to promote my open-source project it would really mean a lot to me :D

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
lol u guyz
Brofist for open source RPG. More comments when I've tried it. Why Java? Are you a masochist?

Edit: Exception on launch when using linux. I presume it uses some windows specific stuff, but java should make portability simpler. Fix that and you might get another brofist. :cool:

Last edited:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Got an error too :(

29vmgr6.jpg

EDIT: Nvm updating Java to the latest version did it! Trying it out now :dance:

EDIT2: So I was fighting a tallfellow when I was suddenly get the option to rename him, and then he joins my party. Does this mean he surrendered? How do we get enemy monsters to surrender?

Last edited:

kek

JavelinRL
Developer
Exception on launch when using linux

Hi Bumvelcrow. I'm guessing you just need to update to Java 8 as the codexer below you mentions! I'm expecting my brofist if that's the case :D

By the way I'm developing on Linux as well so it shouldn't be a problem if you're a penguin. As a curiosity: I was programming for Java 6 and above but I had to change my computer at some point and even though I set my new environment to work with Java 6 somehow a few Java 8 stuff got through and now it's kinda too late to go back :P

I'll see something about popping up a message box if the game is started with an outdated version of Java so in the future it's clearer what's happening.

I was fighting a tallfellow when I was suddenly get the option to rename him, and then he joins my party.

Hi udm thanks for the brofists! I'm guessing you actually entered a Lair (which is represented by a cave in the world map). Lairs are one of several special locations - upon entering a lair you'll start a fight and if you manage to win the fight without killing the last opponent standing you'll capture him (he'll join your party). Lair fights have a different color to the battle screen background so it helps you notice the difference.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Hi Bumvelcrow. I'm guessing you just need to update to Java 8 as the codexer below you mentions! I'm expecting my brofist if that's the case :D

Fisting as requested. Don't make a big thing about it - brofists are a sacred treasure around here and requesting them tends to draw the baleful eyes of the overseers.

I've played it a bit but don't have time today to do much more than test. One thing I noticed was a lot of random encounters on the map screen. It would be nice of you could see wandering monsters like ultima instead of having them spring up from nowhere. Also, I don't know if you did the graphics yourself but it's hard to see things clearly because of the bright colours. More subdued would be better. Again like Ultima. TL;DR just make it like Ultima, okay! ;)

kek

JavelinRL
Developer
brofists are a sacred treasure around here and requesting them tends to draw the baleful eyes of the overseers

Oh but I didn't request them, you were the one that said earlier "Fix that and you might get another brofist. :cool:"

Oh yea, so I guess you said "might get", my bad then :?

Yes the art absolutely needs to be revamped. I have used art from other open-source games, libre collections and especially from Tyrant, which I forked Javelin from. Hopefully at some point an artist will come along with enough time and effort to create new graphics from scratch so the game can have a tailored style but until then there's not much I can do since I'm a programmer/game designer, not an artist...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom