Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Codex Interview Jarl interviews Swen Vincke; Questions about Original Sin 2 and other things are answered.

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by JarlFrank, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Aenragender: ⚧ Guest

Aenra
    Click here and disable ads!
    It is though.. your having an agenda and grasping at straws to validate it does not change the facts.
    So without tiring you, have a look at what 'tactical' actually means, how/where the term is used in the military. Armed with your newfound knowledge, try and guess why TB really is the most tactical mode out there.

His statement does stand, but not for the reasons you appear to think. Tactics entail awareness, thinking, vision and a goal; not reflexes.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Shit Shit x 2
    • Yes! Yes! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. JarlFrankgender: ⚧ I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Parrots:
    You've been on the Codex since 2015 and don't know I have an obsessive foot fetish?

Codex lore fail, man. :M

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. JarlFrankgender: ⚧ I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Parrots:
    Here, I bolded the important part.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. lukaszekgender: ⚧ Magister

lukaszek
    Parrots:
    Did Swen wear sandals?

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. JarlFrankgender: ⚧ I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Parrots:
    No, but the female character I played in the game did :M

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. hivemindgender: ⚧ Arcane

hivemind
    Parrots:
    no idea who any of these people are

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Zombragender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Who needs "boob plate", eh? Eh? :M

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Zerielgender: ⚧ Arcane

Zeriel
    Parrots:
    Me. My big, juicy knockers need protection.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Lacrymasgender: ⚧ Arcane

Lacrymas
    Parrots:
    Fuck me, I should've asked a more serious question, I didn't even think mine would get in. It's good that Swen reads the Codex though. Good interview all in all.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    ^ Top  
  10. Immortalgender: ⚧ Arcane

Immortal
    Parrots:
    It was a good question - I don't buy his answer though.
    Your item balancing pipeline isn't my fucking problem and your comfort and ease of number jittering shouldn't affect the design.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Make America Great Again Jack Dandygender: ⚧ Arcane

Jack Dandy
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Apan Faggot

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Racist Racist x 2
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Lacrymasgender: ⚧ Arcane

Lacrymas
    Parrots:
    Both the answers for itemization and difficulty are fucking decline. Not only does 'balancing' not make sense since the item's stats are random and you can't balance them in that sense, but also making everything random is the exact opposite of replayability. No matter how and what you play the items are always going to be samey and meh and you have nothing to look forward to, the bosses are also pointless because you know they are going to give you Various Implement of Generic Randomness so why bother? It's a Skinner's Box simulator, and a bad one at that, not an RPG.

The difficulty thing also doesn't make sense because the game already has difficulty modes! If some people want a masochist's dream then make Tactician mode that, Swen can play the casual mode all he wants without ever thinking about those 'other' players who want a challenge. Instead of wasting money on mo-cap and VO (lol) they can use them for more difficulty modes if Swen thinks players need them (from baby's first RPG to masochist fest), even PoE has 5 difficulties.

• Disagree x 4
    • rolleyes x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Old x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Jimmiousgender: ⚧ Magister

Jimmious
    Parrots:
    ^ Top  
  14. I'm With Her SausageInYourFacegender: ⚧ for prison Arcane Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Obviously you can specify a range of stats that drop and with what frequency they appear, so aside from the already mentioned uniques and the specifically handplaced items that Sven mentioned ~ there are random drops that are great outliers (just like the other day I found and random +3 intelligence staff).

^ Top  
  15. Lacrymasgender: ⚧ Arcane

Lacrymas
    Parrots:
    Won't you need to go back and change the stat range anyway?

^ Top  
  16. HoboForEternitygender: ⚧ Magister

HoboForEternity
    Parrots:
    what i hate is the level scaling based on the level you got it. like, it is useless to craft sword of the planet at level 12, because the sword is level scaled to that level because soon, your supposed ultra rare awesome sword will become redundant compared to iron sword you get from looting enemies which are level 20

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Tom Baker's Arsegender: ⚧ Educated

Tom Baker's Arse
    Parrots:
    Outstanding interview. Great job, Jarl Frank. Even though I will not be playing the new game, and I find Swen to be a bit faggy, and I have to respect the man a ton for his work.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Quillongender: ⚧ Savant

Quillon
    Parrots:
    I don't wanna argue among an abundance of slow TB lovers here or the topic must've been argued a thousand times already but :D RTwPauses your brain functions also? There is nothing in TB that you can't do in RTwP besides the obvious unrealistic style of TB. And the other dude who finds it impossible to play RTwP: You don't have to order everyone around every milisecond unless you're a hardcore control freak, most difficulties aren't designed for that type of play, you got to predict and if you're wrong you gotta live with it, such is life :P

Anyway, let the shit hit this post.

• Shit x 4
    • Salute x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • rolleyes x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Wayward Songender: ⚧ Fails to keep valuable team members alive

Wayward Son
    Parrots:
    It ain't the weirdest fetish on the Dex m8.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. passerbygender: ⚧ Educated

passerby
    Parrots:
    Quillon
    :bro:

Yep, RTWP has only more depth because everything happens simultaneously, so you have to synchronize your team actions, or predict where enemies will be few seconds later and drop this fireball there.
    TB is also boring because you have to watch all these animations one by one, while in RTWP everything is executed simulatneously and few times more stuff will happen in every minute of my precious time I've spent on the game.
    I'm under impression that all the TB lovers are gifted with limited brain processing power and are unable to tackle more than one task at the time, while accuse everyone else of being simpleton, quite bold.

I mean...

RTWP player complain about TB:
    I can only command one unit at a time in predefined order and can't perform any advanced tactical maneuvering because of that.
    Spending most of the time passively watching results of every single action separately one by one is a facking waste of my time and an insult to my intelligence.

TB player complain about RTWP:
    I need to see every action in the game one by one and have to be told when I can give order to my units and see the results immediately, before I can consider what order I can give to the next unit in a queue.
    OTHERWISE IT'S ALL CLUSTERFUCK, I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON AND WHAT TO DO !?! I HAVE TO MICROMANAGE EVERYTHING, PAUSE EVERY SECOND AND CHANGE AGAIN ALL THE ORDERS, I'VE ORDERED IN THE PREVIOUS SECOND !!!

Which one sounds like a retard ?

To be clear, I talk about games that are supposed to be tactical. I love TB 4X strategy games for example.
    There is no idle time watching animations and little depth is lost with less accurate time representation in strategy game, as opposed to tactics game.

• retadred retadred x 2
    • Shit Shit x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. HanoverFgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

HanoverF
    Parrots:
    MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    You +M

• Agree Agree x 3
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. lukaszekgender: ⚧ Magister

lukaszek
    Parrots:
    it doesnt stand out, true

^ Top  
  23. Make America Great Again ERYFKRADgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Is damn tame compared to these RTwP fags.

• Funny x 5
    • Agree x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Make America Great Again Parabalusgender: ⚧ Arcane

Parabalus
    Parrots:
    :keepmymoney:

10 second over the top animations in multiplayer? Yikes.

^ Top  
  25. Lacrymasgender: ⚧ Arcane

Lacrymas
    Parrots:
    This isn't a JRPG (or PS:T), the animations don't last 10 seconds. I remember someone saying they've been sped up from their D:OS incarnation.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)