Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview Jarl interviews Swen Vincke; Questions about Original Sin 2 and other things are answered.

Aenra

At last an honest answer. "TB is more tactical" my ass.

It is though.. your having an agenda and grasping at straws to validate it does not change the facts.
So without tiring you, have a look at what 'tactical' actually means, how/where the term is used in the military. Armed with your newfound knowledge, try and guess why TB really is the most tactical mode out there.

His statement does stand, but not for the reasons you appear to think. Tactics entail awareness, thinking, vision and a goal; not reflexes.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
He also wants to know if you think the turn based system used in the Original Sin series in an exception in today’s industry, or if you think that the notion that it’s too slow for modern audiences is just a myth.

That’s another one of those things, you know. X-Com would deny that, or Civilization, obviously, two hugely successful games. It’s the same thing again, it’s that focus on this has to be exactly like that, it doesn’t matter, people just want to have fun. These are methods of bringing fun to people, these are interesting combat systems, but you also have interesting real time combat systems. It really is just one selection out of many possible, which I happen to personally like a lot. So turn based is, for me, the most fun combat system because it doesn’t force me to be paying attention all the time, it allows me to think, and it allows me to do things I wouldn’t be able to do in real time due to the fact that I’m slow.

Here, I bolded the important part.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Fuck me, I should've asked a more serious question, I didn't even think mine would get in. It's good that Swen reads the Codex though. Good interview all in all.

Last edited:

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Apan wants to know why you have boob armor and stuff like that if you want to get more women to play. Well, actually, from what I’ve seen compared to the first game it looks a lot more realistic now.

Yeah, it looks more grounded as we said it’s gonna be.

Apan Faggot

Lacrymas

Arcane
It was a good question - I don't buy his answer though.
Your item balancing pipeline isn't my fucking problem and your comfort and ease of number jittering shouldn't affect the design.

Both the answers for itemization and difficulty are fucking decline. Not only does 'balancing' not make sense since the item's stats are random and you can't balance them in that sense, but also making everything random is the exact opposite of replayability. No matter how and what you play the items are always going to be samey and meh and you have nothing to look forward to, the bosses are also pointless because you know they are going to give you Various Implement of Generic Randomness so why bother? It's a Skinner's Box simulator, and a bad one at that, not an RPG.

The difficulty thing also doesn't make sense because the game already has difficulty modes! If some people want a masochist's dream then make Tactician mode that, Swen can play the casual mode all he wants without ever thinking about those 'other' players who want a challenge. Instead of wasting money on mo-cap and VO (lol) they can use them for more difficulty modes if Swen thinks players need them (from baby's first RPG to masochist fest), even PoE has 5 difficulties.

Last edited:

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Both the answers for itemization and difficulty are fucking decline. Not only does 'balancing' not make sense since the item's stats are random and you can't balance them in that sense, but also making everything random is the exact opposite of replayability. No matter how and what you play the items are always going to be samey and meh and you have nothing to look forward to

Obviously you can specify a range of stats that drop and with what frequency they appear, so aside from the already mentioned uniques and the specifically handplaced items that Sven mentioned ~ there are random drops that are great outliers (just like the other day I found and random +3 intelligence staff).

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
what i hate is the level scaling based on the level you got it. like, it is useless to craft sword of the planet at level 12, because the sword is level scaled to that level because soon, your supposed ultra rare awesome sword will become redundant compared to iron sword you get from looting enemies which are level 20

Quillon

Arcane
He also wants to know if you think the turn based system used in the Original Sin series in an exception in today’s industry, or if you think that the notion that it’s too slow for modern audiences is just a myth.

That’s another one of those things, you know. X-Com would deny that, or Civilization, obviously, two hugely successful games. It’s the same thing again, it’s that focus on this has to be exactly like that, it doesn’t matter, people just want to have fun. These are methods of bringing fun to people, these are interesting combat systems, but you also have interesting real time combat systems. It really is just one selection out of many possible, which I happen to personally like a lot. So turn based is, for me, the most fun combat system because it doesn’t force me to be paying attention all the time, it allows me to think, and it allows me to do things I wouldn’t be able to do in real time due to the fact that I’m slow.

Here, I bolded the important part.

I don't wanna argue among an abundance of slow TB lovers here or the topic must've been argued a thousand times already but :D RTwPauses your brain functions also? There is nothing in TB that you can't do in RTwP besides the obvious unrealistic style of TB. And the other dude who finds it impossible to play RTwP: You don't have to order everyone around every milisecond unless you're a hardcore control freak, most difficulties aren't designed for that type of play, you got to predict and if you're wrong you gotta live with it, such is life :P

Anyway, let the shit hit this post.

passerby

Arcane
Quillon
:bro:

Yep, RTWP has only more depth because everything happens simultaneously, so you have to synchronize your team actions, or predict where enemies will be few seconds later and drop this fireball there.
TB is also boring because you have to watch all these animations one by one, while in RTWP everything is executed simulatneously and few times more stuff will happen in every minute of my precious time I've spent on the game.
I'm under impression that all the TB lovers are gifted with limited brain processing power and are unable to tackle more than one task at the time, while accuse everyone else of being simpleton, quite bold.

I mean...

RTWP player complain about TB:
I can only command one unit at a time in predefined order and can't perform any advanced tactical maneuvering because of that.
Spending most of the time passively watching results of every single action separately one by one is a facking waste of my time and an insult to my intelligence.

TB player complain about RTWP:
I need to see every action in the game one by one and have to be told when I can give order to my units and see the results immediately, before I can consider what order I can give to the next unit in a queue.
OTHERWISE IT'S ALL CLUSTERFUCK, I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON AND WHAT TO DO !?! I HAVE TO MICROMANAGE EVERYTHING, PAUSE EVERY SECOND AND CHANGE AGAIN ALL THE ORDERS, I'VE ORDERED IN THE PREVIOUS SECOND !!!

Which one sounds like a retard ?

To be clear, I talk about games that are supposed to be tactical. I love TB 4X strategy games for example.
There is no idle time watching animations and little depth is lost with less accurate time representation in strategy game, as opposed to tactics game.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
Great! So, our user Efe wants to know: will there be an option to increase animation speed?

No, it’s not on the feature list. I know there’s been some people asking for it, but it’s not on the list. I’m not sure it would be easy to implement, either.

:keepmymoney:

10 second over the top animations in multiplayer? Yikes.

Lacrymas

Arcane
This isn't a JRPG (or PS:T), the animations don't last 10 seconds. I remember someone saying they've been sped up from their D:OS incarnation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom