Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Japanese are the saviours of RPG genre.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Persona 5, a turn based game to be released in april for all gaijin to play clocks a healthy 100 hour main story campaign, not even Witcher 3 or BG 2 + Tob is that long. :obviously:
Main part of that campaign you are looking at cellphone screen and texting with main character friends. Story is decent however. And the GFX design is excellent. They avoided badly looking game on outdated HW by making it stylish, and the result is interesting.
Everyone who wasn't a normie casual imported Demon's Souls from Asia since it had english VA and texts anyway. It had a better cover than the EU/NA release as well.
I pirated it. So no point of thinking about cover.

Alkarl

Learned
So, Japan is saving the rpg because of one company releasing the fifth flavor in their ultra casual dating sim series?

What?!

I like Persona, I hope they are still onboard with releasing a version of 5 on ps3, but if they don't, and Atlus continues to neglect the pc market (spoilers: They will), I wont lose any sleep.

Jrpgs share a lot of cultural similarities with Anime; and I have one thing to say about that:

"Otaku's never learn." -Hayao Miyazaki

Hyperion

Arcane
They have long been a staple in developing and publishing JRPG's for over 30 years now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Atlus_games

Oh, and this one little series called Etrian Odyssey that is probably most responsible for the recent resurgence in blobbers. Maybe you've heard of it. If you've been playing JRPG's since you're a kid, Atlus is one of the few names you can still look at with fondness today.

Last edited:

Alkarl

Learned
They have long been a staple in developing and publishing JRPG's for 25 years now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Atlus_games

Oh, and this one little series called Etrian Odyssey that is probably most responsible for the recent resurgence in blobbers. Maybe you've heard of it. If you've been playing JRPG's since you're a kid, Atlus is one of the few names you can look upon with fondness today.

That's a worthless argument. What does me being aware of Etrian Odyssey have to do with anything? EO is fine, its probably a lot of fun for the people who play it, but it does not make Atlus the last bastion of hope for rpgs in our lifetime, nor are they resuscitating the genre. Seriously, have you ever heard of Shin Megami Tensei? The early games are basically EO, with a few caveats. My personal favorite being that Megaten doesn't ask me to draw my own fucking map, thanks to the innovation of automapping technologies.

Speaking of blobbers, I find that the Elminage series is far superior to anything EO has done. Have you heard of it?

As far as recognizing Atlus since I was a kid? Yeah, I guess, the first game of theirs I ever played was called "Revelations: Persona". Perhaps you've heard of it? It's widely regarded as a steaming pile of shit, only in part due to its shoddy translation/localization. Prior to that? Revelations: The Demon Slayer was nice, can't say I'd heard of it prior to a few years ago though. Other than those two titles and Persona: Eternal Punishment; Atlus wasn't really doing much in my day, as far as I'm concerned. Sure, they published a lot of other companies shit in the west, most notably perhaps a couple titles from the Tactics Ogre series, but were otherwise fairly forgettable. At least as far as most of the western world was considered.

To this date, they've yet to release Shin Megami Tensei 2 outside of Japan and select territories. They've been hitting that early wizardry well since their inception. Not to mention, most of their games rely on so much bullshit rng and other fuckery it's ridiculous. Not saying they're bad, but they aren't Jrpgesus or anything. Just another japanese company wanting to make money while woefully underestimating their markets.

Last edited:

Hyperion

Arcane
And why do you think the Elminage games were released in the West, and probably even in Japan? Somebody just randomly decided "Hey, let's give this to the gaijin to be nice even though the West has no market for the genre." If you can't tell Etrian Odyssey played a role in that, I feel sorry for your parents.

As far as recognizing Atlus since I was a kid? Yeah, I guess, the first game of theirs I ever played was called "Revelations: Persona". Perhaps you've heard of it? It's widely regarded as a steaming pile of shit
That's a worthless argument

Yes, yes, it is. Squaresoft released Ehrgeiz and was still considered excellent in the 90's even up until around 2000. What's your point, exactly? That a company is only good if they release flawless games every time? How many other companies known for JRPG's are still releasing acceptable games to this day? Atlus, and......

Seriously, have you ever heard of Shin Megami Tensei?

...Have you? You're aware Persona is part of the series, right? An offshoot, but it's considered Megaten otherwise.

most of their games rely on so much bullshit rng

Guess you've never actually played an RPG before, huh.

Just another japanese company wanting to make money

Companies want to make money, HOLY SHIT WHAT A REVELATION.

At least as far as most of the western world was considered

Yes, argue that the majority of Westerners don't give a fuck about a niche company bringing niche games over for a niche audience. Solid reasoning. Hell, they even brought over Divinity II, so they have branched out (albeit sparsely) to western games.

Also, casually leave out games like Odin Sphere, Class of Heroes, Dragon's Crown, Demon's Souls (Even though it was heavily imported from Southeast Asia), and Radiant Historia. These are highly insignificant if you have any interest in actually having fun while gaming, right?

Last edited:

Alkarl

Learned
Are you serious bro?

You're ignoring everything I'm saying and taking what you can out of context. But.. here we go I suppose:

And why do you think the Elminage games were released in the West, and probably even in Japan? Somebody just randomly decided "Hey, let's give this to the gaijin to be nice even though the West has no market for the genre." If you can't tell Etrian Odyssey played a role in that, I feel sorry for your parents.

Yes, yes, it is. Squaresoft released Ehrgeiz and was still considered excellent in the 90's even up until around 2000. What's your point, exactly? That a company is only good if they release flawless games every time? How many other companies known for JRPG's are still releasing acceptable games to this day? Atlus, and......

For the first argument, that's extremely recursive thinking. Thanks to the success of blobbers in the west, mostly Wizardry 1-3 (for this particular argument), these games were translated and given to Japanese people who then made a shit ton of games based on that engine and then were polite enough to release them back west thanks to other Japanese developers releasing games in our market that were based on games we released in theirs. Seriously, the first wiz 1-3 clones coming out of japan that I can think of off the top of my head would include games like Dragon Quest.

Besides, I never said EO wasn't a good time. I even commented on how some people enjoy it, and merely remarked that it wasn't a revolution. What is your point here? The fire didn't start burning with EO dude. I'm glad you enjoy your homogenized jrpgs, make sure to thank just about every western rpg developer prior to 1986, not 4-5 titles released by some corporate machine in the last 10 years.

Ehrgeiz is closer to a rogue-like than a blobber? Not to mention being an action rpg? I didn't say they were bad bro, chill. Atlus is completely competent, they made a few great games and even bottled lightning with Nocturne (Lucifers Call), but mark my words if they don't focus on cloning their Persona 3/4 formula until that particular license to print money runs out. I'm glad you like it, lots of people did, still doesn't make it a great game. Not everyones reasoning is valid, ya know? A lot of people like huffing paint, doesn't make it a good idea.

Why bring up Squeenix at all? You are aware the world isn't Square, right? Square gave me some good times as a kid, sure, but they aren't some idol or something. Not to mention, most of the people working at Square in those days, making games in general in those days at any company, aren't making games anymore. Some are even dead. Get over your fanboyism.

...Have you? You're aware Persona is part of the series, right? An offshoot, but it's considered Megaten otherwise.

Yes.

But mostly no.

Persona is NOT part of the mainline SMT franchise. There is some bullshit in there about how the two are connected, but they aren't the same games. Seriously, if you had ever played a mainline SMT game, the above wouldn't even need disputing. NEXT!

Guess you've never actually played an RPG before, huh.

Gee, guy, I guess not. Thank you for showing me the way, your omnipotence! Seriously? Is this a serious statement? What are we, 11? NO, you're a poopoo head! GTFO

Companies want to make money, HOLY SHIT WHAT A REVELATION.

Yeah, if you've payed any attention to the japanese market, things aren't going so well globally. They make plenty in their own country by whoring out mobile software, but as far as the rest of the world is concerned, they're either too scared or too dumb to make that money. Are you fucking with me? Was this a revelation to you? Or was it supposed to be a revelation to me? I actually have an idea how software is designed and marketed from a developers POV buddy, so I know you weren't talking about me.

Yes, argue that the majority of Westerners don't give a fuck about a niche company bringing niche games over for a niche audience. Solid reasoning. Hell, they even brought over Divinity II, so they have branched out (albeit sparsely) to western games.

I don't need to? Nor have I? See your own above quote. Companies need to make money. Atlus is niche, sure. Who cares if they ported Divinity 2? Have you played Divinity 2? You're not exactly supporting your own argument here.

Also, casually leave out games like Odin Sphere, Class of Heroes, Dragon's Crown, Demon's Souls (Even though it was heavily imported from Southeast Asia), and Radiant Historia. These are highly insignificant if you have any interest in actually having fun while gaming, right?

In your own words:

Maybe you've heard of it. If you've been playing JRPG's since you're a kid, Atlus is one of the few names you can still look at with fondness today.

I described the games Atlus was personally responsible for publishing when I was a kid. I've been an adult since all of the above mentioned titles were published. Now your age really is starting to show. I'm glad you got to grow up in what many considered the greatest era for Jrpgs, mainly the PS2 era. I still have fond memories of that period of my life, and it contributes to a lot of the disappointment I feel today when I look at more recent jrpgs.

Regardless:
Odin Sphere is a garbage Arpg, and so is Dragon's Crown. Demon's Souls was published by Atlus in the west, but developed by From Software on commission by Sony whom presently owns this IP. Class of Heroes is just another Wiz 1-3 ripoff. SO much innovation. Much wow. Radiant Historia I have no comment on, I hear it was a great game and fairly unconventional. An argument could be made for Radiant Historia, if the fucking story didn't begin and end with "Radiant Historia is a thing!" Yay. Yawn.

Hyperion

Arcane
You misinterpreted literally EVERY portion of my post. I think you're actually too stupid to insult. Or English is your 7th language, and for that I apologize. It's not even worth discussing it anymore if you're such a window-licking dipshit that you're actually going to embolden words as if you're educating me on something I posted previously in the thread. Jesus Christ, the stupidity dripping your fingers is actually palpable.

P.S. - Ehrgeiz was a gigantic piece of shit, and so is Square Enix. DO YOU GET THE ANALOGY NOW? Shall I fly to Disney World and buy some of those gigantic crayons to spell it out for you? What a fuckin' clown show.

Alkarl

Learned
You misinterpreted literally EVERY portion of my post. I think you're actually too stupid to insult. Or English is your 7th language, and for that I apologize. It's not even worth discussing it anymore if you're such a window-licking dipshit that you're actually going to embolden words as if you're educating me on something I posted previously in the thread. Jesus Christ, the stupidity dripping your fingers is actually palpable.

P.S. - Ehrgeiz was a gigantic piece of shit, and so is Square Enix. DO YOU GET THE ANALOGY NOW? Shall I fly to Disney World and buy some of those gigantic crayons to spell it out for you? What a fuckin' clown show.

*mic drop*

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The fact is that Japanese devs are the only developers who are still making RPGs that cater to different niches. They have their storyfag RPGs and combatfag RPGs; games that are both challenging and easy as pie. If I wanted challenging combat centric RPGs from non-indie western developers then I'd have to build a time machine because none are being made right now.

Last edited:

Alkarl

Learned
The fact is that Japanese devs are the only developers who are still making RPGs that cater to different niches. They have their storyfag RPGs and combatfag RPGs; games that are both challenging and easy as pie. If I wanted challenging combat centric RPGs from non-indie western developers then I'd have to build a time machine because none are being made right now.

That's actually .. hard to deny. You've got a point. Atlus is good at what they do, and I apologize if I ever misrepresented that.

Also, Hyperion, I'm sorry bro, I read back through what you were trying to say to me today and understood it a lot better. Basically what Hobo Elf was saying above, if I'm correct.

I just think its a little misguided to label P5 or Atlus as the saviors of the rpg genre. Jrpgs, yeah, theres probably an argument to be made there. More like the standard bearers. I mean, sure, they're doing some enjoyable stuff, making a lot of cool things people enjoy, but they've hardly done anything really unique in some time. Maybe I just don't give them enough credit. Or maybe the things you can do with an rpg, and it still be fun and engaging, are more limited than I imagined. Hm.

I don't fucking know. Sorry for being an ass.

Hyperion

Arcane
I just think its a little misguided to label P5 or Atlus as the saviors of the rpg genre
The OP was pretty much rated sufficiently retarded that it was understood, yeah, Persona serves its purpose, but let's not go overboard. Basically what Hobo Elf said. If not for them, these are games that may very well not be localized at all. Especially games like Vanillaware's because of the exaggerated art style. Look what happens when you google 'Dragon's Crown SJW.'

https://www.google.com/search?q=dragon's+crown+sjw&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

they've hardly done anything really unique in some time. Maybe I just don't give them enough credit. Or maybe the things you can do with an rpg, and it still be fun and engaging, are more limited than I imagined. Hm.
Let's be honest here...do you even need two hands to count games made that are both unique and worthwhile in recent times? A well made, and well presented game using today's technology with some classic sensibilities is all most of us here are asking for. And they've developed and published a steady stream of solid, if unremarkable (and the occasional great) titles for a long time, even if they did shutdown for awhile back in 2010.

I don't fucking know. Sorry for being an ass.
Water under the bridge. I wasn't exactly sugar and rainbows either.

Tehdagah

Arcane
RPGs and fighting games are the only thing japanese devs are better at nowadays, everything else is done better by the west.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
RPGs and fighting games are the only thing japanese devs are better at nowadays, everything else is done better by the west.
STGs (bullet hell)? Arcade platformers? VNs? Beat em ups/Hack n slash games?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Show me a single western action game that comes close to being as good as DMC or Bayonetta. Die By the Sword was pretty rad, though.

Suicidal

Arcane
In my opinion, Japanese developers are better than Western ones at making:

-Combatfag RPGs/dungeon crawlers
-Combatfag action games (Devil May Cry series, Metal Gear Rising and similar games)
-Fighting games (not much of a competition really, the only recent western fighting game I remember is Mortal Kombat)

Western developers are better at making:

-Open world running around blowing shit up games (Just Cause, GTA, etc.)
-Storyfag RPGs

jungl

Augur
persona series entered its decline with persona 3. Before that the dungeons were not randomly generated shit where if you "seen one you seen them all". Better overworld. varied enemy design, every enemy isn't a shadow with a mask. Less landholding and predictable gameplay. At some point Japanese developers realized they can downgrade their games as long they add enough otaku stuff the bad stuff will be ignored. SJW's ruin western games while otakus ruined Japanese gaming.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom