Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jail time, which 3 RPG games to bring

Serus

Arcane
Patron
If roguelikes are allowed then i would probably bring some of those, Cataclysm DDA maybe or TOME4 or DCSS... or all three or think about one i haven't played yet but have on my "to play" list. IVAN, Elona+, Prospector, etc... Or Dwarf Fortress (not strictly rl but close enough) - never got into it but with nothing else to do i know i could and would enjoy it.

If non-crpgs are allowed then i would add some replayable strategy game like Civilization 4 or perhaps XCOM with Long War for some crazy ironman goodness or even the old TFTD (never played it in the old times). Or maybe even the Pirates! - the old 1980s ones not the remake (its not bad but less replayable because of the non-open scoring system).
Another option - one of Paradox games, especially with mods.

If arpg are allowed but not internet: maybe one d2-clone like... Diablo 2 with Median XL or Grim Dawn. Great time wasters.

If only crpg are allowed... i'd strongly consider Wizardry 7 - i played and liked it a lot but never finished it, could take a few months from the 2 years term. FRUA with modules sounds like another great choice.

To be really honest - i'd prefer to take my kindle with a few hundreds books to choose from to read if - i had to choose between games and books i mean.

Edit: Jagged Alliance 2 is a crpg you stupid fuc**rs. Not a good choice tough. It isn't very long and replayability is limited (better than in some other crpgs but still low compared to most strategy games or roguelikes). Not a good candidate for 2 years imho.

Last edited:

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
For me, there would definitely be a theme...

1) FRUA with UAShell and every module ever made, which would also give me enough materials to design modules while I was there.
Don't you have to own the original games for FRUA hacked designs (modules)? If that's always the case then I'd say this doesn't meet the criteria.

to all the XCOM + Long War mentions: Shamefur dispray, bring the fucking original (X-Com Ufo Defense aka UFO Enemy Unknown)! :rpgcodex:

edit: Seems like you don't need the original games as sources for FRUA modules artwork. In any case thanks for pointing that one out, interesting stuff.

Last edited:

baturinsky

Arcane
ToME4 is good option, very replayable.
Feed The Beast is extremely replayable, and some mods have all RPG elements.
Dynasty Warriors 8:Empires or Samurai Warriors 4-II for something Action-y.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
1. Binding of Isaac (latest version which basically doubled the game)
2. Baldur's gate 2
3. Medieval 2 because fuck the rules

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Earthbound to remind me of good values and cheer me up
ToME for pure replayability
Jagged Alliance 2 for the combat variety

Saying x game + a ton of mods is cheating. If that is allowed why couldn't I just burn a SNES emulator + a shitload of jrpg roms onto a cd.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

1) FRUA with UAShell and every module ever made, which would also give me enough materials to design modules while I was there.
Don't you have to own the original games for FRUA hacked designs (modules)? If that's always the case then I'd say this doesn't meet the criteria.

You are quite mistaken. FRUA was the sold game engine (now abandonware) built upon creating your own modules, and the mods are made by fans, with a huge mod community that is still semi-active today. You can't even argue that you should own the original physical adventure pen and paper modules that these games are based upon, since Temple of Elemental Evil was based upon the original module, yet no one who had purchased the video game was required to buy the out of print physical module. One could easily spend 100s of hours going through the adventure paths available. FRUA is a solid choice.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer

No. You only need to own FRUA.

FRUA designers were given permission by TSR to use any D&D based materials they wanted during the creation of modules. That included artwork. SSI also gave permission to utilize anything from the Gold Box games.

Playing classic or original D&D based modules in FRUA is totally legal, providing you own FRUA.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

You are quite mistaken. FRUA was the sold game engine (now abandonware) built upon creating your own modules, and the mods are made by fans, with a huge mod community that is still semi-active today. You can't even argue that you should own the original physical adventure pen and paper modules that these games are based upon, since Temple of Elemental Evil was based upon the original module, yet no one who had purchased the video game was required to buy the out of print physical module. One could easily spend 100s of hours going through the adventure paths available. FRUA is a solid choice.
What I thought is that you might need the games from which modules take music, sound fx, tilesets, pixel art etc.. Seems like that is already included in the module though... if the module has artwork from another game that is.
Thanks for clearing that up though.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth

2) Neverwinter Nights with every hack and module ever made, which would also give me enough materials to design modules while I was there.
3) Neverwinter Nights 2 with every hack and module ever made, which would also give me enough materials to design modules while I was there.

For a non-RPG game, it would need to be something infinitely replayable.

1) The original Unreal Tournament with every mod and map that was ever made. Don't know if I'd design maps while there, but if I got bored, I might.

This, but I would change 3) with Thief 2 and FMissions + modding engine. It would be pretty much free time.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Very easy:

1. Geneforge 5
2. Fallout New Vegas
3.Tales of Maj Eyal

I would take Gothic (1,2,3) but i know them like mudslims know Quran.

:kfc:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I agree with agentorange, user created content is kind of cheating. Especially since some different mods can be considered games all on their own, and are just using the game you chose as an engine. And FRUA is literally just an engine (which I think comes with a small module?).

If I had to bring any 3 RPGs, they'd probably be based purely on play time. I'd bring Wizardry 7, Divinity Original Sin, and New Vegas.

As for non RPGs, I'd probably bring in the newest version of Open X-Com, Age of Wonders (or Master of Magic), Mount & Blade:Warband, Alpha Centauri, Doom 2 and one of the Metal Slug collections. If you can bring in mods, I can bring in compilation disks.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Morrowind, for shear playtime.
Wizardry 6, so I can finally have the time to beat it.
Either Daggerfall, or New Vegas, haven't beaten either of them yet and don't know them as much as some others might.
Non-RPG: Civ IV or V.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom