Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance: Drug Flashback

sser

Arcane
Developer
I believe the trust was quite large. The guy was running an actual company with paid staff. If you go around reading about it, a large part of Xenonauts' development issues just had to do with managerial inexperience. The guy doesn't actually program - he was not a 'in his basement coding' type of person. You've got the wrong idea about how Xenonauts came to be. It was a long process fraught with hiring the wrong people and going headfirst into a bad engine. Not that different from a AAA-company's development hell, just at a smaller level. I don't think these two games are indicative of a pattern of indie games taking forever to release. Sometimes games just run into development snags.

Judging by its content as is, do you really think Flashback could have been a good game if they were given more money and time?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I believe the trust was quite large. The guy was running an actual company with paid staff. If you go around reading about it, a large part of Xenonauts' development issues just had to do with managerial inexperience. The guy doesn't actually program - he was not a 'in his basement coding' type of person. You've got the wrong idea about how Xenonauts came to be. It was a long process fraught with hiring the wrong people and going headfirst into a bad engine. Not that different from a AAA-company's development hell, just at a smaller level. I don't think these two games are indicative of a pattern of indie games taking forever to release. Sometimes games just run into development snags.

I see. Well, if it was really that large, then the trust plus their $150k Kickstarter might be significantly more than what JA:F had, rendering this entire argument moot.

In general, I'd love it if there were more details of these cases of different companies managing to do different amounts of labor on the same or similar budgets. You see this in the AAA world too, with developers who are allowed to take years and years while still somehow staying on budget, while others are forced by their publishers into an annual releases slave-drive because "we have no budget!". It's quite interesting.

Judging by its content as is, do you really think Flashback could have been a good game if they were given more money and time?

Yeah, could be. I do blame them for releasing a crap game instead of finding somebody to give them more money. After the success of D:OS, it should have been possible.

Look at this game for a recent example: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-steam-and-it-sucks.74343/page-4#post-3773891

These guys found a publisher and more money, and if veevoir is to be believed, managed to turn around what looked like a complete disaster.

Last edited:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Well, I guess we'll have to disagree then. Sometimes I see a game and I don't think it has the right people behind it. The gameplay is off, the art style is off, the writing is off, etc. I don't think every problem can be fixed by throwing more money at it (of which Flashback already had plenty). It's like that Evolve game that just came out. Lots of money involved, lots of production value, lots of development, but the game just isn't all that fun. Maybe games like that needed a change of managerial guard, or maybe the design docs were too good to be true, I dunno. When I look at Flashback, or even when I looked at it as a Kickstarter, my alarm bells were already sounding. Having seen it in action, it has the gameplay design of something that went punching and kicking into the tactical games genre, picking up scraps from this and that and throwing them together. It's one thing to fix a game that has a good baseline to work off of. If a game has good gameplay, a developer can work around that. But if the gameplay itself just sucks and isn't very fun, then you have far, far more serious issues than simple money splurging is going to fix, IMO.

rezaf

Cipher
don't think every problem can be fixed by throwing more money at it

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can sure be a big help.
But a critical problem with many such projects is that the designers (maybe it'd better to call them the people responsible for the design) don't realize and/or care what made their role-model-game popular.
So they twist and tweak the core mechanics, cut corners, steamline ... and then call it quits and release as is.
Sometimes, the new design finds fans of it's own - and since gaming is bigger now than it was in the olden days, this are often considerably more people than those that love(d) the old games (or at least those who liked them enough to actually buy them), thus the new direction becomes the obvious right choice, and that franchise (sometimes even entire subgenre) is "forever" lost to those fond of the original core design.

Xenonauts stayed generally close to X-Com's design, but strayed off in a few notable exceptions and has a general feel to it that I can only describe as "amateurish". It's okay, but when I compare it to OpenXCom, it's just not as good, imo.
Firaxis' XCOM went far, FAR away from X-Com's core design principles, and it's success sadly makes a return to those priniciples in any official title of the series unlikely.

I've seen this happen a number of times - Civ5's 1UPT radically changes the feel of the game, and with Civ5's massive success, it's likely here to stay. Even though Jon Shafer himself, the guy who came up with that crap, supposedly goes multi-upt again in his own indie game in the making, At the Gates.

Anyway,back to JA - a huge problem is undoubtedly that the license lay dormant for so long and is appearently given away these days as a gift in cereal boxes or something. JA:BiA was shite, JA:Online was a cashgrab for the longest time (maybe it still is, I haven't actually played in ages), JA:Flashback was ... questionable from the get-go. When I saw the very first LPs with the earliest public versions I immediately lost all hope for this game - there's things you have to plan for in your "foundation", and if they aren't there, chances are it'll be impossible to add them (with reasonable effort) down the road. It's like when I first saw the merchenary portraits in BiA ...

Chances are with thrice the money, Flashback might have been a huges success ... but with these guys? I think I'm with you seer.

Goldhawk

Goldhawk Interactive
Developer
In general, I'd love it if there were more details of these cases of different companies managing to do different amounts of labor on the same or similar budgets. You see this in the AAA world too, with developers who are allowed to take years and years while still somehow staying on budget, while others are forced by their publishers into an annual releases slave-drive because "we have no budget!". It's quite interesting.

In the end Xenonauts was quite an expensive game - including my costs for working full time, the total dev budget was probably $500k or so (basically all the money taken for the game before it was released). I started with about $20,000 in savings and inheritance from when my nan died, but I was still working a full-time graduate job in finance for the first two years which at least meant I didn't have to support myself from the game and could continue investing an extra $500 a month into the project or so if I needed. It kinda was needed too as we made a substantial loss in the first eighteen months of development.

I think it worked out as the first two and a half years of development taking about $150k, the Kickstarter was the halfway point and took about $150k, then the early access launch twelve to eighteen months later took another $150k and the final year of development on early access took another $50k. Nobody on the team was unpaid, but literally everything on the team was set up around extracting maximum value from the money - so we used remote freelancers from Eastern Europe or part-time people from the more expensive countries who were willing to work cheaply to keep costs down, rather than lots of full-time staff burning through the cash pile. This did cause some problems with quality early in the project, some of which (mostly around the code) we were never able to resolve even late in development, but I can't really see any other way we could have done it.

It's less of an issue going forwards now we've got the experience and the cash pile from Xenonauts at hand, of course. Anyway there is a dev diary under Extras in the Xenonauts launcher that goes into more details of the finance and management side of development if you're interested in that sort of stuff; if someone wants to post the PDF up here than by all means do so - I wrote it to be read.

That's basically why I feel a bit sorry for Thomas and Full Control. If you play JA:F you'll find some enjoyable fundamental game systems, but the entire package is basically the minimum possible amount of work that could classify a "game". It becomes obvious with how the very first mission is presented to you - you get a little pop up box saying "go find the chopper" or something, and that's all the exposition you get. The thing is, I know exactly how much work it takes to reach the stage of having a playable game with all the basics in place - you're probably taking 70% of the development process right there.

Problem is having a 70% complete game doesn't get you a score of 70 on Metacritic, more like 20. That's totally understandable, too - it's really the layers of polish that people notice and enjoy about a game, so a game that has no polish just isn't a very good game even though it *is* largely complete. It seems pretty obvious from where I'm standing that the dev team just ran out of money and had to ship a semi-finished product, and the game would have been significantly better had they had another 6-12 months to work on the stuff that was obviously still placeholder. It doesn't look like the game did that well on Early Access so I imagine they burned through the $350k pretty quickly (bear in mind ~10% of that goes to Kickstarter / failed pledges, and that Bitcomposer would likely have taken a share too) but the early access builds weren't developed enough to catch people's eye and ensure enough funding to fully finish the game.

I've exchanged a couple of emails with Thomas and my understanding of the situation is that senior team members have invested their own money in the project and lost it, so if it was intended as a cash grab it failed miserably. From a personal point of view I was lucky with Xenonauts - we were one of the early games to take pre-access pre-orders, we were one of the first Kickstarters and we were one of the first releases on Steam Early Access. The people who got to the party even a month or two later may not have made anywhere near as much money in a more saturated marked, and honestly had Xenonauts taken $400k in pre-orders instead of $500k I suspect you could have knocked six months off production and 10-20 points off the game's Metascore. And for all my flaws as a game designer, I do have a financial background and I probably take the amount of cash in the bank far more seriously than most indie developers do.

So it's probably tempting to see JA:F as a cheap conspiracy, but I think the truth is much sadder - both the dev team and the backers went into this with good intentions but both have lost out badly here, as there simply wasn't enough money sloshing around. Thing is, a lot of well-known dev teams probably also did Kickstarters for less than they actually needed but *did* get the Early Access money they needed, so whilst I do understand the criticism FC are coming in for here I don't think their model was that different from that of many other successful games.

Last edited:
Awesome post.

So I'm just curious, what do you think, in this age of crowdfunding, would be the ideal way to develop a game from a financial standpoint? I've been thinking about this myself at a conceptual level - getting funding from KS before you can show anything of substance seems like a recipe for disaster, since so many things can go wrong in the development process. Having an alpha with the key systems in place and some art assets would be ideal, and use KS for the meat on the bones as it were, with perhaps EA providing the funding for the polish/final push.

I'm just kind of thinking out loud here, but just curious from your take as a guy that has his foot in both the finance and the game design world what your take is.

rezaf

Cipher
Thing is, a lot of well-known dev teams probably also did Kickstarters for less than they actually needed but *did* get the Early Access money they needed, so whilst I do understand the criticism FC are coming in for here I don't think their model was that different from that of many other successful games.

Nice post, but about this particular point - didn't Steam give out guidelines or something about Early Access recent'ish that explicitly state the model isn't meant as the sole means to finance ongoing development?

In the bottom line, I - wearing the consumer glasses - except a solid product as advertised from any such project, be it Kickstarted, EA, conventionally funded or whatever. If I hire someone to renovate my bathroom I get a cost estimate. Things can get a bit more expensive, and some measure of overshooting the budget has to be accepted (though it's better if ithat doesn't happen, of course). But it's never acceptable to drill a hole in the ground and install a garden hose and then call this a renovated bathroom. No matter the circumstances, this is an unacceptable result.
But that's kinda the feel of JA:F.

Xenonauts just barely made it into the acceptable range - I was kinda dismayed that there was absolutely no build-up (expansions or DLC or whatever), but I can see how having everything just barely hang together anyway (because the original programmer is no longer on board) might be a strong disincentive to do something like that. I don't regret my purchase, but ... yeah, that's the best thing I can say.

I didn't buy JA:F, and that I don't regret either. :P

Goldhawk

Goldhawk Interactive
Developer
As a consumer you're totally entitled to be critical if you don't get what you paid for, I just wanted to highlight that the margins between success and failure can be quite fine and are not always entirely under the developer's control. JA:F being a bad game is one thing, but extrapolating too much about the intentions of the devs from that would be a little unfair. And rezaf, it's fine if you don't like Xenonauts - after all, not everyone got the product they imagined in their head when they backed the game and ultimately taste is subjective anyway. I'd only get irritated if you were implying I'd actively scammed you out of your money.

@MasterSmith - it kinda depends on how much money you start with. The model we're going to try for our next game is to create a basic playable prototype of the game and release it totally free for a few months using a very obviously abstract art style (i.e. something like what Valve did here) and along with the lore and concept art for the game so people know what we'll be shooting for in the final game. We'll do a couple of iterations of the game with it entirely free to build as large a community around the game as possible. The idea is to attract people by not charging and bring them into the "tribe" around the game by getting them to offer feedback to the dev team, whilst hopefully the abstract graphics will avoid the situation where people assume the game is shit because of the bad visuals.

After that, we'll do a Kickstarter. This will be the first chance to buy the game, so if we've built a good community around the game it'll start with a lot of momentum and hit its goal early, which usually leads to more news coverage and more interested punters. After the Kickstarter we'll discontinue the free versions and move to Early Access until development finishes. We'll set the project up like we did with Xenonauts - lots of remote freelancers - that should allow us to employ a lot of talented people at relatively affordable prices, but this time we've got some full-time leads to oversee their department and ensure we avoid the quality-control mistakes we made with Xenonauts.

Of course, all of that presumes you've got enough money to spend a year producing a playable alpha of the game and iterating it without taking any money for the project, and that you can afford to hire a few experienced people to form a small "core" team to oversee the project. A lot of teams won't have that luxury and if I was new to the industry and looking to set up a studio I honestly don't know what I'd do now. The standard of indie games is much higher and people are more wary than they were before; it's a tough market unless you've already got some experience or some cash.

rezaf

Cipher
And rezaf, it's fine if you don't like Xenonauts - after all, not everyone got the product they imagined in their head when they backed the game and ultimately taste is subjective anyway. I'd only get irritated if you were implying I'd actively scammed you out of your money.

I purchased the ordinary way well after the KS, so there's little chance for me to feel scammed - I had strong suspicions about the games "shortcomings" before purchasing it. Some were confirmed, some not.
I'd also still say I like Xenonauts - it's just a long way from being a classic. Some of that is pure personal preference - for example, there's nothing inherently wrong with the way interception works, I'm just not really fond of it - some of it has been fixed or at least semi-fixed by mods and some of it ... maybe in a perfect world, you'd even like to have it be different yourself, who knows. ;)

You guys did a respectable job with Xenonauts in my eyes, especially considering the circumstances. But with circumstances in mind, what SupSuper single handedly achieved is spectacular in my eyes.

I totally hope you guys learned from what went wrong and I'd probably buy a Xenonauts 2 if you made one, so no ill feelings.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Interesting posts. More money still would not have saved Flashback. I've playtested games in pre-alpha and games in alpha and games in beta and so on and so forth. Gamebreaking bugs aside, either a game has good gameplay or it doesn't, and at every stage it was readily obvious whether or not the game was fun. I've played completely unpolished products that still knocked my socks off. And a little while ago we saw Chaos: Reborn on Kickstarter with a very early build with zero glitz or glamor that was very fun to play. The same can be said of some very buggy, glitchy, yet oddly fun Early Access games on steam. A game either has it or it does not.

Regardless of what one thinks of Full Control's intent, the notion of creating a JA-game on that much money is a promise that couldn't be kept. Not a promise they didn't keep, as if they failed to, but instead an idea that could not have ever possibly seen been realized to begin with. That's why I'm suspicious of Kickstarters such as these. They're all about promising the moon and a half while stating they're gonna get there with a ladder. And while they throw a team of interns at Jagged Alliance, the developer keeps pooling actual resources into the Space Hulk series. Think of that what you will. All I see is a brand name being dragged through the mud for a couple of bucks, as has been done before and will be done again. And I wouldn't trust a word of what these people have to say about it, either. They treated the community like dogshit and reacted very poorly to the game's reception. It takes a special type of developer to wander into arguably the most earnest and willing to help community there is in the JA franchise and just shit all over it. Those people were so willing to help, but all they got was a lousy shirt - oh wait.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Anyway there is a dev diary under Extras in the Xenonauts launcher that goes into more details of the finance and management side of development if you're interested in that sort of stuff; if someone wants to post the PDF up here than by all means do so - I wrote it to be read.
Since the dev gave his permission and this is a very interesting topic, here is said PDF's content:

INTRODUCTION

Xenonauts took exactly five years to develop. It took ten times as long and cost twenty times as much as expected, but has been such a big part of my life that I am somewhat sad that the journey has come to an end.

There was a lot of personal risk involved. When development started in 2009, I was twenty-two and had no knowledge / experience of game development. I sunk all of my own savings into getting the project moving, most of which was inheritance money. My office was my bedroom; I worked on Xenonauts in the evenings and at weekends around a full-time consultancy job with KPMG that included three years of accountancy exams (failing any would have left me unemployed).

Thankfully, everything turned out well. This article is the “development diary” promised on Kickstarter, an appraisal of the aspects of development that I felt went well and those I felt went badly. I hope it is of interest – perhaps it will prevent someone else making the same mistakes!
WHAT WENT RIGHT #1: REMOTE TEAM

The team on Xenonauts consisted almost entirely of remote freelancers – perhaps two hundred of whom were involved in production of the game across the entire period. Despite having built a close relationship with many of them, I’ve met perhaps five in person.

Our production model was simple: I managed every team member directly via email. The team had almost no contact with one another – the two big exceptions being the coding team and my colleague Aaron, who joined me full-time when we set up an office after our successful Kickstarter (roughly three years into development).

This is not the normal way to make a video game, nor is it my preferred way to work. Not only is it much more enjoyable to work in the same room as your colleagues, it also brings large productivity and creativity gains. Unfortunately, the costs are correspondingly greater – paying the hourly rates
of competent UK-based freelancers was out of the question early in development, let alone full-time wages or desk rental.

To put our funding situation in perspective, I had about $25,000 in savings when we started development in 2009. We began taking pre-orders in November 2010 and hit the thousand sales mark in July 2011, meaning we had around $50,000 available to us during the first two years of development (during this period I was not only working on Xenonauts unpaid, but using my salary to inject additional money into the project).

Our only option was thus to use remote freelancers – it is much easier to find affordable talent if you can search the entire globe for it. The sheer amount of content in Xenonauts would have cost
millions of dollars to produce at AAA-studio rates, but we had to do it on a fraction of that.

This is why Xenonauts took five years to develop. Cheap, talented freelancers are a rare commodity and finding them is time-consuming; those looking for a needle in a haystack should be prepared to find a lot of hay. We wasted a lot of time with people who ultimately proved unreliable or unable to deliver what we needed.

Even once the team was assembled, we then had to co-ordinate across multiple time-zones / working hours – a painful, inefficient experience. Most of the team were part-time themselves, naturally limiting the hours they could put into the project. Everything took far, far longer than it would have had we all been working full-time from the same office.

But despite being difficult and frustrating, operating a remote team successfully was the primary reason why Xenonauts was successful. We simply did not have the funds to create a game of this scope using any other method! It was a necessary evil that allowed us to undercut more mainstream games on cost.
WHAT WENT RIGHT #2: REMAINING FAITHFUL TO X-COM

UFO: Enemy Unknown is twenty years old and widely considered one of the best games ever made. Associating ourselves with it as closely as possible brought us a multitude of benefits.

The most obvious benefit was the pre-orders and press coverage it brought. The sheer quantity of X- Com fans out there meant that we had a ready-made audience prepared to pre-order the game, a number of whom were journalists willing to give us coverage.

It also lent us a veneer of credibility and provided a shared language of communication with the community early on. Our pre-orderers were able to look at primitive versions of the game and see the potential because they already knew what the missing content was supposed to look like. That would not have been the case had we been making an original strategy game.

Even once Xenonauts became more established in its own right, the X-Com name remained a key attraction. People inadvertently stumble across us when browsing online (we draw quite a lot of website traffic from the X-Com Wikipedia page, for example) or read a preview they would otherwise have skipped because they see the “X-Com” subtitle.

It was similarly useful from a design perspective. The original game had a lot of elegant and well- documented game mechanics which I used as a starting point for our own game systems. I reworked almost all of them, but being able to look at how the original game handled a particular issue made the development process much easier.

Then there were the two official remakes. The first was a shooter called The Bureau: X-Com Declassified. This was a godsend for us – the backlash against X-Com being rebooted as a shooter gave us a lot of publicity and helped establish a community around Xenonauts when we first announced.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown by Firaxis is the elephant in the room - it was a huge critical and financial success. For the record, I have completed it on Classic Iron Man and enjoyed it immensely. Whilst it does have a few flaws, I believe it fully deserves the praise it received from the press.

It affected us in two ways. The first was overwhelmingly positive: it raised the profile of the X-Com franchise and the genre as a whole. We used to make around $350 in pre-sales over a normal weekend, but this hit $30,000 the weekend XCOM was announced – enough to support an extra two months of development on the game!

My complaint about XCOM is more subtle: the two projects were defined in opposition. Elements in our community strongly disliked the “dumbed down” remake and any attempt to streamline the original game mechanics was met with endless accusations of us doing the same. Not exactly helpful when we were trying to modernise a game from twenty years ago!

But, in retrospect, positioning Xenonauts as a remake of X-Com was one of the wisest decisions I made – it was an invaluable safety net that minimised the risk of screwing up the game design / marketing and let us focus on the execution instead.
WHAT WENT RIGHT #3: THE COMMUNITY

I cannot write an article discussing the success of Xenonauts without mentioning our community. We sold thirty thousand copies prior to release and our forums have generated more than a hundred thousand posts in the past two years. We simply could not have completed Xenonauts without the money and feedback the community gave us.

Specific individuals also often contributed enormously to development. A few examples stick in my mind:

• A corporate lawyer helped us set up a US company and corporate bank account for our
Kickstarter (rather than have to use IndieGoGo);
• Our websites are hosted and admined by a community member;
• Someone made translations possible by somehow tracking down an long-lost program required to add new fonts to the engine;
• The air combat UI design originally came from the forums;
• Community maps / mods were occasionally good enough to add to the official game;

There are too many others for me to be able to mention them here, but even the simple act of posting an opinion or bug report for the game was helpful. The collective contribution of everyone who did so has been immense.

This endless stream of feedback allowed us to gradually polish away at the game’s rough edges. While Xenonauts is far from perfect, I dread to think how much worse it would have been without the million hours (!) of public alpha / beta testing it logged in Steam prior to release.

It also came in very useful with regards to bugtesting and QA, which we did not have the time or budget to do internally. The sheer scope of the game meant it was very difficult to dream up all the different behaviours a player could use, let alone test them. Similarly, it’s almost impossible to test large numbers of different hardware configurations without help from the community!

In particular, the Kickstarter sticks in my mind as a time when our community was valuable. Firstly, I ran our proposed reward tiers past them and was genuinely surprised by how negative the feedback was. We revised them before launch, avoiding potentially crippling ourselves with sub-standard rewards.

Secondly, they provided important momentum. We hit $10,000 of our $50,000 target within a couple of hours (i.e. before the press coverage informed non-community members about it) and I think we were halfway to meeting our $50,000 goal after a single day. That gave us the credibility to attract people from outside the community, and eventually took us to over $150,000 in total.

I’ve also enjoyed the overall experience of interacting with the community on our forums. I try to treat forum goers with respect and the favour is (usually) returned. Discussions are usually polite, helpful and constructive and on countless occasions the game has been improved as a result.

So if you are / were part of our community, thanks – you’ve been great!
WHAT WENT RIGHT #4: KEEPING THE DAY JOB

I did not quit my day job and work on Xenonauts full-time until October 2011, nearly halfway through development. Whilst not relevant to our future projects, this was still one of the most important decisions I made.

I was not exaggerating when I said development took ten times as long and cost twenty times as much as I original anticipated. I knew very little about video game development when I started (though I thought otherwise) and the project made a significant financial loss in the first couple of years. Had I been relying on game development to pay the bills, I would have ended up living in a cardboard box.

It is a rather disheartening experience to spend all your free time at evenings and weekends working on a business and end the month with less money than you started, but if you remain in paid employment it will be no more than disheartening. My salary covered my day-to-day living costs
until Xenonauts became self-sustaining … and then eventually successful enough to sustain me too.

Anyone that leaves their job to pursue something new is immediately putting themselves under pressure to succeed quickly. Not only must the business turn a profit quickly, it must turn a sufficiently large profit to pay their bills as well. This can be highly destructive – not only is it stressful, it encourages short-term thinking.

The reality of effectively working two jobs for the first half of the development process was not a particularly pretty one. It cost me a number of friendships and relationships and far too much sleep, but it gave me the time I needed to make a success of Xenonauts.

Keeping the day job for another couple of years allowed me to leave it forever. Had I quit immediately, I’d have burned through my life savings within a year and had to return with my dreams in tatters.

I simply cannot stress enough how important it is not to rely on game development as your main source of income until the finances justify it.
WHAT WENT RIGHT #5: GAME DESIGN DECISIONS

Xenonauts took shape through thousands and thousands of individual game decisions. I made some mistakes (which have their own section), but I made some good choices too.

The first was giving the Chief Scientist a voice in the research reports. Instead of dry factual description, the idea was to give the game at least one memorable character and use the research text to hint at what everyday life in the organisation might actually be like.

For a long time I was genuinely concerned that I had made a mistake here – bad writing is a terrible immersion-breaker and it is very easy to get it wrong. It was also hugely time-consuming: I wrote
30,000 words of research text and edited it in full at least three times. This took a LONG time.

I was therefore very pleased to see the writing get good reviews. I think the Chief Scientist adds a lot of character (and a little humour) to a game that would otherwise be rather devoid of it, and from a personal perspective it is nice to know that I possess at least some writing ability!

The first-person UI style was also big success. I used this to try and create the illusion of a world around the game by actually placing the player inside their base and allowing them to view their organisation first-hand. The technology used in the artwork subtly changes as you progress through the game too, suggesting your actions are having an impact on the wider world. To me, it feels much more immersive than our old “spreadsheet“ UI style ever did!

I am also proud of the Geoscape “events” spawned by UFO activity. The original X-Com felt a little empty in places: you felt like the only organisation trying to fight the aliens, with no hint of a wider conflict going on around you. The events on the Geoscape help fill in the blanks and makes the world feel a little more realistic.

The AI local forces apparently had the same effect on the ground combat – people seem to love them. They generate a lot of cool moments; about 90% of the stories on our forums involve local forces somehow saving a hapless Xenonaut from death. I’ve been a little surprised by quite how popular they have proved, but they certainly seem to have been a good addition to the game!

The final good decision was streamlining the game, specifically the economy – e.g. making starting equipment / ammunition / flares unlimited in quantity, automatic upgrade of aircraft / vehicle weapons etc. I think this made removed a lot of tedious micromanagement without actually reducing the depth of the game.

These were controversial decisions, but I draw a distinction between complexity and depth here. The former forces the player to make choices, while the latter forces the player to make meaningful choices (i.e. generating enjoyment). Personally, I think we did a good job of removing complexity without removing depth and I would say general public opinion seems to agree.
WHAT WENT WRONG #1: (LACK OF) EARLY PLANNING

So, onto the bad stuff! Let’s start with the early project planning.

Our choice of engine was the single worst decision we ever made. Playground SDK 5 is a 2D engine primarily designed for casual browser games such as Diner Dash. It is not supported by its developers, does not include the source code and is no longer even available to download.

I can scarcely think of enough bad things to say about it. It contains a number of serious bugs and is missing several key features that would be considered standard in any other game engine, and we cannot fix or add these things without the source code. Anything in Xenonauts that looks low-quality or poorly-made is almost certainly due to a problem with the engine.

This engine was chosen by the first coder that (briefly) worked on the project. It was a terrible decision. Had the planning and prototyping been done properly, we would have quickly moved to a different engine as Playground SDK is plainly not suitable for a game like Xenonauts. Instead, we laid bad foundations and then spent the next five years struggling to build atop them.

The second major issue was a poorly-planned codebase. The code itself was written by competent programmers and is more than adequate, but it was never assembled to any defined overall structure or shared conventions - the ground combat and strategic elements of the game were coded separately by entirely different programmers, then joined together about three years into development.

This was a massive issue. Our programmers generally only understand their own part of the code, so cannot fix bugs in other areas of the game. Unavailability meant bugfixes could sometimes take
days, and recruiting new programmers was much harder than it should have been. This made it almost impossible to speed up the coding side of things even after the Kickstarter gave us the funds to do so, and I dread to think what would have happened if one of our key coders had quit the team.

These situation could have been resolved in two ways – firstly, I could have employed a better- trained programmer to choose the engine and plan the codebase. But those sort of people are much in demand and is unlikely to be interested in joining a small indie team with no visible progress to show and no money to properly compensate them for their time.

This leads to a chicken-and-egg scenario. Projects are much more likely to succeed with proper technical planning, but a team will generally only have access to the expertise required to do so once they are better established (and thus long past the planning stage).

The second solution would have been me doing more research - this might have averted the engine choice disaster, at least. I could have read more widely and made an engine choice that was informed by the programmer’s opinion, rather than delegated entirely to him. I did not do so due to my inexperience, but I ended up regretting it for a long time afterwards.

(We also could have dumped the engine at any point any started over in an engine like Unity. In retrospect, this could have been a good idea. But an indie team with no proven track record starting over in a new engine halfway through development? That would not have gone down well and the negative publicity could have killed the project. I decided to stick with the devil we knew.)
WHAT WENT WRONG #2: THE SCOPE

Ask any indie developer for advice on making your first game and they will almost certainly smile wryly and advise you to make something small. The reason is simple: you’ll make a lot of mistakes. If you make a small game you can take all the lessons you’ve just learned and quickly apply them to your second game.

Xenonauts isn’t a small game – few indie games contain as much content as even the ground combat section alone. I was advised to make a small game, and I instead decided to make an enormous one. Predictably, this proved a mistake.

A game with such a broad scope requires vastly increased amounts of money, talent and time to produce. There are so many more potential points of failure than in a small project because there is so much more that can go wrong.

It is also questionable economics. All this extra content requires money and time to produce: Xenonauts contains more than a hundred research paintings, forty thousand terrain tiles, twenty thousand words of writing and a million frames of rendered animation. It is difficult to appreciate how much effort this requires until you actually attempt it – but believe me, it is a lot of work.

The problem here is that the acceptable price for the game does not increase accordingly - indie games will top out at $20-$25 irrespective of the amount of content they contain. It is therefore a bit of a mistake to include large amounts of content beyond that required to justify a $25 price tag.

Xenonauts was therefore expensive to develop relative to what it could be sold for, as all X-Com games tend to be. The fact that they are a little dubious as business propositions is almost certainly one of the reasons why it took so long for X-Com to get a proper official remake!

Anyway, I should have listened to the developers who told me to make something small as my first game – Xenonauts would have been much more viable as our second game. For instance, I somehow doubt I’d have screwed up the early planning so badly with a little more experience under my belt.

An X-Com remake really was jumping in the deep end of video game development, which in retrospect was foolish. A half-finished game project is worth nothing, so had I tripped up at any point in development I would have lost a lot of money (largely belonging to other people) and effectively ended my game development career before it even began.

A big risk to take, and a largely unnecessary one.
WHAT WENT WRONG #3: REALISTIC COLD WAR SETTING

Xenonauts is set in 1979, the historical height of the Cold War. I chose this setting for several reasons
– it differentiated us from the near-future setting of X-Com; the intentionally mundane setting contrasts with the exotic aliens you fight; it was the historical period with the greatest fear of aliens and alien invasion.

I consider it a mistake. Firstly, we wasted the setting: the mistrust between the two superpowers is barely mentioned, let alone factored into the gameplay mechanics. I took an interesting period and then did nothing with it.

However, the biggest issue was that of “realism” – or, rather, the perception of it. If you set a game in a relatively modern time, you are giving the player recognisable objects. If they then do not act in the way that the player expects them to, it breaks immersion.

This conflicts with the goal of a game developer, whose primary objective is to make an enjoyable game. Divergence from reality in game design is inevitable and often beneficial: few games will prevent you from ever playing again if you character dies, for example.

Gameplay balance thus takes priority over historical accuracy. The Xenonaut Chinook is capable of flying around the world on a single tank of fuel because players get frustrated and complain if they cannot respond to terror sites globally. That is not realistic, but it improves the game experience.

An X-Com game has a lot of inherent gameplay conceits that improve the game, such as artificially limited unit sight ranges that increase tension. I could not change these without failing in our promises to remake X-Com, but combining them with a realistic setting in many cases just made them more obvious and led to a lot of heated forum debates on such topics.

But when people made objections based on realism alone, I had to disregard them – Xenonauts is a game, so gameplay is more important than realism. I found it particularly frustrating when people would cherry-pick individual details (such as a specific jet being able to fly too fast) and insist they ruined the game, whilst happily swallowing other mechanics / facts that were clearly much more unrealistic.

Whilst I believe some people might perhaps better appreciate the irony of complaining about realism issues in a game about battling an alien invasion in 1979, the fundamental mistake was mine. We advertise the game as a “Strategic Planetary Defence Simulator”, and I chose a gritty and
realistic tone for the game. Both of those things create an expectation of realism that an X-Com-style game was never going to be able to meet.

It would have been better to have used a hard sci-fi setting that hinted at the real world, but was not constrained by it. As such, I seriously doubt we will use a real-world setting for any of our future games – I’d rather not have to put up with the arguments for a second time!
WHAT WENT WRONG #4: EARLY PRE-ORDERS

Xenonauts was announced when it was little more than a vague concept. Buyers put down money
for their idea of what a modernised X-Com should be. Unfortunately, they actually ended up with my
idea of what a modernised X-Com should be.

We were never going to be able to please everybody. Everyone has different ideas about what parts of the X-Com formula should be changed and how that should be done, and frequently these suggestions were completely incompatible with one another.

Thankfully, most people recognised this fact and knew Xenonauts was not going to match up exactly with the idea in their heads. They debated individual issues and design choices but would accept us making a few decisions that they disagreed with.

However, some people would become extremely poisonous if we did not immediately adopt their suggestions or made even a single change they did not like, no matter how patient / detailed an explanation we gave them in our refusal. If Xenonauts was not built exactly to their specifications, they would get incredibly angry and claim that they had been ripped off.

Though the internet will always bring you into contact with a few angry internet men, things might have been better had we waited longer before accepting pre-orders – a more developed product would have let buyers better decide if it was really the sort of game they wanted to buy. Those who did not like the direction the game was taking may have filtered themselves out.

The second issue with early pre-orders is a little deeper: people do not like change. Developing a game in public can be difficult because players tend to get annoyed if you remove something from the game - the human psyche does not like to be given something and then have it taken away.

This can be a problem. A good example was switching weapon fire costs from static TU values to percentages based on max TU, preventing experienced soldiers being able to fire more shots than rookies in addition to being more accurate (i.e. returning to the system the original X-Com used) and becoming so ludicrously overpowered that the late-game was impossible to balance.

The change ignited a firestorm within the community. The problem was that most people were approaching the issue as players rather than game designers – they’d played a few hours of the game and enjoyed having super-soldiers. It felt like we were taking away their toys.

The change was 100% correct and 100% needed, but if you are a community-focused developer you cannot simply sideline your community when they disagree with you. It took days to push through that change, whereas it would have taken a few seconds had the community not been involved.

Having the community involved in development is of huge benefit to any team, but I really feel the optimal point to bring them in is when the prototyping phase is over and the design is largely settled. Unfortunately, financial reasons meant the community had to be involved with Xenonauts right from the very start and all our experimentation had to be done in full view.
WHAT WENT WRONG #5: GAMEPLAY DECISIONS

So, the gameplay design decisions I regret most.

Firstly, the “realistic” alien design was a mistake: the aliens in Xenonauts are almost all armoured humanoids with fairly normal proportions. The original X-Com had a much wider array of strange and wonderful enemies - even the standard sectoid had a tiny body and a massive head, which makes it look distinctly alien. They had a lot more character than the enemies in Xenonauts.

I think part of the problem was that I designed the aliens as if the game was to be an FPS – each has a lot of unique detail when seen up close, but none of this is visible on the small sprites of a strategy game. I should have focused on giving the aliens unique silhouettes rather than different detailing. I realised this about halfway through development, but by then it was far too late to change anything.

My next regret was the flat globe. This was not objectively a bad decision, as a flat map gives a lot more situational awareness than the 3D globe of the original X-Com. However, it also means flight paths and radar ranges cannot take the curvature of the Earth into account – e.g. building a base in Antarctica was useful in X-Com, but in Xenonauts it was so pointless we removed the continent entirely. I think that was a bit of a shame.

The third mistake was the UFO designs. The art is great and they do look genuinely alien, but they work incredibly badly with the tile grid of the ground combat. The grey boxes of the original X-Com looked a little boring at times, but could be built out of individual tiles. That meant they fully supported destructibility and also suffered no frustrating walkability / line of sight issues.

Making our UFO designs work with the game consumed huge amounts of time and produced results that were mediocre at best. We should have ditched them entirely and replaced them with modular UFO designs – they would have been less attractive, but the gameplay would have been dramatically improved and implementation would have been much easier.

Had we been developing Xenonauts in private, that almost certainly would have happened – but our UFO designs were done early in development and I had used them in all kinds of publicity over the years. I felt they were too big an element of the game to change in the later stages of development… but I really should have done it anyway.

Another mistake was UI scaling – the game font becomes almost unreadable on small screens. I did not consider this as much as I should have when designing the UI (intended for a 1080p screen) and it caused a lot of complaints. Things could have been done to mitigate the problems had I planned them in advance, but by the time I realised my error it was again too late to do anything about it.

Finally, I think the late-game pacing in the release version of Xenonauts was a bit off – it drags on a bit towards the end. It took a full day to play through to the late-game, making iterating the balance there difficult (especially when we were busy with other things). Is it the biggest problem in the game? No, but it is still something I would have liked to have done better.

CONCLUSION:

Every time I used to play a game, I would wonder why developers made so many obvious mistakes –
why, if only they were gifted with my insight, their game would have been perfect!

It turns out that was not the case. What looks so easy from the comfort of a distant armchair actually proved exceptionally difficult in practice, and I have made just as many mistakes in my own game as those developers I used to endlessly critique.

But things ended well - at the time of writing, the gross lifetime sales of Xenonauts have ticked up past $1.2 million and it has a very respectable Metacritic score of 80/100. We certainly did not do things in the most efficient way possible, but I think that we got a pretty good outcome for our first game.

Writing this article has helped me to put my own thoughts in order, and I hope that sharing them has either shed light on why Xenonauts turned out the way it did or helped others considering venturing into indie development. Thanks for reading!

Chris England, Xenonauts Project Lead.

Hats off to Goldhawk. Really informative and awesome look into a first time indie dev. I'm going to say it here - despite its foibles, Xenonauts is a faithful reimagining of X-Com, and based on the strength of that, you have a customer/backer for your next project. If you KS it (and it happens at a time when I'm flush with cash), I will gladly back it - and I have only backed one KS to date (and regretted it).

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Well.

Team Disbanded / Slow Communication

Big part of the slow communication and lack of progress is, that the JAF team is no more. Everyone is gone and there is me left to handle it all. Both taking over tasks from the guys who left as well as running the rest of the company.

And people have not just been moved over to other projects as some people say. They are gone gone, not to return. Very sad, but that's just the financial reality of JAF.

I try to answer all emails sent directly to me, but I simply cannot find time in the day to read+answer posts on the forums. Sorry - but that's just how it is.

Future Development on JAF

Without a team, there is also no further development on the game.

We would have liked nothing more than to continue on for ages, but no salaries lead to no people lead to no development.

We will work on a quick bug fix release in the upcoming weeks in between other work, and then that is the final version from our hands no matter what.

That bugfix will take care of (right now at least) 2 known issues that we want to fix

female mercs in prone after loading
a crash bug in the pathfinder

In my spare time sometime in the future I will send over as much of the requested modding stuff to Shanga. But my priority lies with physical goods first.

From the start of this project we wanted to get the modding part of the community running with as many possibilities as possible. And that is still everyone's goal to see the awesome stuff that can be done in the future by the talent out there.

Best

Thomas Lund

m_s0

Arcane
Right, so who's next in line to the rotting corpse of Jagged Alliance?

deuxhero

Arcane
I'd just post a picture of the birds you shoot for easy marksmenship XP, but I don't have a picture handy and google can't find one.

Athelas

Arcane
There is no one left in all of existence who can make a true Jagged Alliance successor.

deuxhero

Arcane
I think a Japanese studio could make one as a doujin or handheld game but it wouldn't be an intentional successor.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I think it's dead for good now.

It'd be nice if one of the more successful Kickstarter devs picked up the IP for cheap someday and did something worthwhile with it, with a big budget and a good RPG writer to inject some much-needed SOUL, but that's just daydreaming.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong

I think it's dead for good now.

It'd be nice if one of the more successful Kickstarter devs picked up the IP for cheap someday and did something worthwhile with it, with a big budget and a good RPG writer to inject some much-needed SOUL, but that's just daydreaming.

I, for one, think Larian Studios is a good fit with their writing style and system mastery, at least for mid-sized indie studios.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Well.

Team Disbanded / Slow Communication

Big part of the slow communication and lack of progress is, that the JAF team is no more. Everyone is gone and there is me left to handle it all. Both taking over tasks from the guys who left as well as running the rest of the company.

And people have not just been moved over to other projects as some people say. They are gone gone, not to return. Very sad, but that's just the financial reality of JAF.

I try to answer all emails sent directly to me, but I simply cannot find time in the day to read+answer posts on the forums. Sorry - but that's just how it is.

Future Development on JAF

Without a team, there is also no further development on the game.

We would have liked nothing more than to continue on for ages, but no salaries lead to no people lead to no development.

We will work on a quick bug fix release in the upcoming weeks in between other work, and then that is the final version from our hands no matter what.

That bugfix will take care of (right now at least) 2 known issues that we want to fix

female mercs in prone after loading
a crash bug in the pathfinder

In my spare time sometime in the future I will send over as much of the requested modding stuff to Shanga. But my priority lies with physical goods first.

From the start of this project we wanted to get the modding part of the community running with as many possibilities as possible. And that is still everyone's goal to see the awesome stuff that can be done in the future by the talent out there.

Best

Thomas Lund

The unforgettable, fitting conclusion of a perfectly managed campaign

Beowulf

Arcane
I backed this on Kickstarter, but after seeing some LP with a dev and laughing Shanga I didn't even bother to install it. Maybe, if after a year or two it could hold enough attention to attract some good modding... But yeah, extremely unlikely to happen.

Shame and great waste of potential spiritual (or even actual) sequel, really; back to 1.13 I guess. Or maybe I'll give new X-com a try.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I backed this on Kickstarter, but after seeing some LP with a dev and laughing Shanga I didn't even bother to install it. Maybe, if after a year or two it could hold enough attention to attract some good modding... But yeah, extremely unlikely to happen.

Shame and great waste of potential spiritual (or even actual) sequel, really; back to 1.13 I guess. Or maybe I'll give new X-com a try.

Give OpenXcom a go and make sure to use some fun mods :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom