Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance: Drug Flashback

Kem0sabe

Arcane
@ RPS

JAGGED ALLIANCE! JAGGED ALLIANCE! JAGGED ALLIANCE! It’s no good. I just don’t have Alec’s endurance when it comes to repeating words for any length of time. I do have a remarkable degree of stamina when it comes to dancing thoughand I plan to spend the next five minutes doing the Snoopy dance in celebration of the fact that Full Control, who are currently working on a promising adaptation of Space Hulk, are moving on to a new turn-based Jagged Alliance game once Space Hulk has shipped. Hope springs eternal.

Thomas Hentschel Lund, the studio’s CEO, had this to say:

It is one of the 3 games besides X-Com and Fallout that really defined the entire genre and is part of our DNA…We are honored and excited to have been the confidence given by bitComposer to give the series a fresh new take whilst staying true to the core mechanics.​

Perhaps we are related because it’s part of my DNA too. Let’s hope the next family reunion is full of jubilation rather than the usual recriminations and disapproval.

bitComposer, in handing over development responsibilities to Full Control, sent these words to the world’s press:

We have been keeping an eye on Full Control for the last couple of years and have been suitably impressed with their take on turn-based tactical gaming and in particular their awesome work in bringing the classic Space Hulk franchise back to life…We are excited to learn more about their plans for the franchise.​

As are we all, I’m sure. It’s definitely going to be fully turn-based and the press release even includes a few words of regret concerning Back in Action:

Jagged Alliance was first released in 1994 and is still counted as one the best turn based strategy games of its time. After the release of Jagged Alliance 2 in 1999 the series slipped back into the cold war and received a reboot in 2010 with Jagged Alliance – Back in Action, which received mixed reactions from the community and press after its departure from turn-based action gameplay.​

That’s as strong a statement of regret as apress release ever really contains. ‘Mixed reactions’ can describe even the greatest travesty, as long as the interface designer’s mum liked it. Back in Action wasn’t a travesty, but as an uncomfortable remix of the superb Jagged Alliance 2, it was something of a disappointment.
More on the new game when we know it.

Possible :incline: but with reserved expectations until Space Hulk is out and confirmed not to be crap.

Their Games catalog is not very reassuring to be honest.

Frontline Tactics
Modern warfare TBS

Tactical Soldier - Undead Rising
Zombie survival TBS

Monster Ball
60'ies Horror Comic TBS

Smack Boxing
Fast and Fun Comic Boxing

Smack Hockey
Air Hockey With Guns!

TouchWars
Multitouch Arcade Zapper

ElectroCUTE
Multitouch Arcade Zapper

spectre

Arcane
Multiplatform eh? Now that's gonna end well.
Well, at least there's a good chance their JA is turn based at least.
Unfortunately, there's so much more to remaking JA than just keeping it turn based.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Multiplatform eh? Now that's gonna end well.
Well, at least there's a good chance their JA is turn based at least.
Unfortunately, there's so much more to remaking JA than just keeping it turn based.

They'll want to make it visceral and dynamic and cinematic and up to the expectations of a modern gamer.
And they'll remove everything that was great about the original games because those things just don't work today, ya know?
Game journos willl love it, people will buy it and be generally very positive about it and praise it as a very good rendition of Sir-Tech's legendary masterpiece.
And in a few months nobody will talk about it or play it or remember what was it about.
They'll make an expansion because the sales of the first game were solid but nobody would give a shit.

In other words, the story of Firaxis' XCOM all over again.

Themadcow

Augur
They'll want to make it visceral and dynamic and cinematic and up to the expectations of a modern gamer.
And they'll remove everything that was great about the original games because those things just don't work today, ya know?
Game journos willl love it, people will buy it and be generally very positive about it and praise it as a very good rendition of Sir-Tech's legendary masterpiece.
And in a few months nobody will talk about it or play it or remember what was it about.
They'll make an expansion because the sales of the first game were solid but nobody would give a shit.

That's just about the most accurate write-up of the Firaxis Xcom game I've seen. If I could brofist that post a hundred times I would.

:bro:

spectre

Arcane
Bah, I see your xcom and raise you year's Shitcomposer's JA: Back in Action. In case you missed it, suffice to say Full Control would have to work pretty hard to beat that piece of work.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Won't that be multiplatform as in ios and PC? Their catalog suggest that is what they are doing.
That would work better than console and PC if it is the case.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Bah, I see your xcom and raise you year's Shitcomposer's JA: Back in Action. In case you missed it, suffice to say Full Control would have to work pretty hard to beat that piece of work.

Haven't exactly missed it but haven't checked it out either since I could smell popamole from mile away.

Fart Master

Savant

Haven't exactly missed it but haven't checked it out either since I could smell popamole from mile away.

Its not popamole, its just a really poorly made piece of shit.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
KICKSTARTER INCOMING :roll:

Gameplay_Mockup_1920x1080PressLR2.jpg

http://www.edge-online.com/features...-lund-on-kickstarter-strategy-games-and-xcom/

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/17/squad-chat-jagged-alliance-flashback-interview/

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
They're going to have to work hard if they want to convince me to part with my jewgold for this.
:keepmymoney:

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't particularly like this part (bolded parts by me):

RPS: I’m always interested when people use the phrase ‘modern context’. People still play Jagged Alliance 2 today, and many people, myself included, would argue that a complex strategy game fits perfectly in a ‘modern context’. What is it that you mean specifically by that phrase?
Lund: Some of it is about accessibility and usability. In earlier days, fifteen years ago, you could get away with any kind of UI. You could get away without using tutorials – that’s actually the wrong word – but players weren’t necessarily eased into the game. Anybody who has played Jagged Alliance 2 knows that you’re thrown in at the deep end right away – it can be overwhelming.

RPS: I didn’t play it for about four years and when I went back, I’d forgotten how much there was to keep track of.
Lund: The modern way, particularly for people who haven’t played these games, or haven’t played them for ten or fifteen years, is to help them to relearn how they work. Not to remove from them, but to show how it works. The 3D part as well, for example, is a modern take on the formula. It’s not always necessary but people like to be able to rotate the camera and see things from a different angle. The usability part – not plastering the screen full of buttons, trying to make it intuitive to use.
Andreas: We’ve also been talking about the cover system. Showing much more clearly where you are when you take cover.

They seem to be using too many "modern game buzz words" to make me feel very comfortable at this time....

Fart Master

Savant
That art actually looks rather nice until you realize it will be a top-down cover shooter like the new XCOM.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom