Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance 2 ,

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I once did a run with a psyco nightops guy.
Who used knives. Went till the indoor levels solo, then picked up ira so i could flank.
It's pretty possible to kill silently by abusing realtime/turnbased switch.

Fucking night glasses pansies.

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
Anyone here know anything about the DBB mod? I found a fix for the 100AP release, but i crash every time i look at certain smgs in detail. I believe this has to do with the lack of detailed pictures.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Gwendo said:
Is there any high resolution patch for this game?

With 1.13 you can set 1024*768 in the config file. I usually dont scale resolutions but it works quite well, even on a Widescreen.

Re: Admiral jimbob I had the same problem once, but the equipment is somewhere on the map. I forgot where but I think you find it in the containers in Drassen airport.

JrK

Prophet
Admiral jimbob said:
Err, if I tell a merc to leave his equipment in a sector when I dismiss him... where does it go? Do NPCs take it? Can't find it.

If there is militia in the sector or one of your mercs has seen it already but you haven't noticed it's easy: check the map in inventory mode and you can see the amount of items. There is something you can do here as well to access the entire map for items as well but I don't know precisely how. You get a screen on top of the map where you see all items and you can drag them into your inventory. In 1.13 you can sell items that way to the locals for 25% of the price, easy way to clear all the crap.

Cheers, that works great.

Just took Cambria Mine. Jesus. After having little trouble in the rest of the city, the mine had about twenty guards, ten of which were elites who one-hit KOd my mercs from across the map in the dark.
Took about an hour of very careful luring - discovered the trick of firing shots into empty space to get enemies to rush you - and quickloading, but I did manage. To be greeted by... Foreman fucking Calvin Barkmore.

Burning Bridges

I have a question. I got tired of the german voices and decided to get another copy with english version. But what is better, JA2 or Ja2 Gold (incl. Unfinished Business)? Does it matter at all which I get when I use 1.13?

And, can it be that Shotguns are mostly useless? They do lots of damage from short distances but at those ranges I can get better results with small machine pistols.

Hory

Erudite
GlobalExplorer said:
And, can it be that Shotguns are mostly useless? They do lots of damage from short distances but at those ranges I can get better results with small machine pistols.
The advantage is that shotguns are more manly.

Quilty

Magister
Having finished the game using 1.13 patch, could anyone suggest which JA2 mod or standalone to try next? I enjoyed the game a lot, and am hoping that the community has produced something that could stand up to the original.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Deidranna Lives. That's supposed to be very good. Also, the Urban Warfare mod (can't remember its correct name right now). There's several mods for UB of varying quality as well.

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
@GlobalExplorer:
Doesnt matter if JA2 or Ja2 Gold. Only all downloadable versions wont work with 1.13. I suggest TPB.

@Quilty:
Mods on the left side:
http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/

The single one I played was Wildfire because they ported it to 1.13. So you get speedier movement and higher res. Its alright.

Quilty

Magister
Thanks guys, these look interesting, I'll give them a try.

Burning Bridges

Thanks for the info.

I found this thread which has info on most mods:

http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ub ... Post211927

Can someone enlighten me what is the difference between build 2085 and build 2112? I can run both but dont see any difference. And, are there any important features the current SVN version will add over plain 2085?

Precisely, I don't know if my version is up to date. E.g. I don't see this new interface for the icecream van:

44863.png

But if I run 2085 I get the old one. If I run 2112 with a savegame from 2085, I still get the old one! Do I have to get the version from SVN or is it enough to start a new game with 2112?

The_scorpion

Liturgist
Quilty said:
I enjoyed the game a lot, and am hoping that the community has produced something that could stand up to the original.

interesting statement

what should be hinted at nowadays is that the Multiplayer version of ja2 1.13 has become a lot more stable, and if you do it the right way, it can be a lot of fun.

Fighting against or COOPerating with your friends under ja2 rules :cool:

the modern alternative to chess. :wink:

The_scorpion

Liturgist
if a version is playable, you can genereally also install mods on them.

version history is partly documented in the release notes thread of the forum you've linked to. Beyond that, i tend to pick exe's based on bug reports and peer general peer review.

Burning Bridges

The_scorpion said:
version history is partly documented in the release notes thread of the forum you've linked to. Beyond that, i tend to pick exe's based on bug reports and peer general peer review.

Do you mean this thread? http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ub ... =1&fpart=2

The_scorpion said:
Beyond that, i tend to pick exe's based on bug reports and peer general peer review.

Does this mean generally, if I have 113 installed, I can go and get any new exe?

Mnemon

Educated
GlobalExplorer said:
One more question: anyone know if v1.13 works with the version that's available from Gog?

It works. See Jagged Alliance forums on Gog.com.

The_scorpion

Liturgist
GlobalExplorer said:
The_scorpion said:

Do you mean this thread? http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ub ... =1&fpart=2

The_scorpion said:
Beyond that, i tend to pick exe's based on bug reports and peer general peer review.

Does this mean generally, if I have 113 installed, I can go and get any new exe?

yes, i meant that thread, however, the descriptions there are very brief and if you're not following the development rather closely, it usually isn't all that informative. however, particular features that you're interested in might be listed there

you can't install every exe over 1.13, as new exe's sporadically require new files. But if you pick up the required new files along with these exe's, than that's that. you don't need to follow every item picture that is changed or stuff (like SVN does)
often, new exe's don't require new files and work with the existing install. if they don't, you probably get run-time errors early on so you notice that easily.

of course obtaining these files is another story, getting them manually from 1.13's ftp might not be the greatest thing to waste time on. Ultimately, i end up sporadicly updating my SVN of 1.13 and take the stuff from there that is needed, but don't update the big data chunk.

Burning Bridges

Ok, I got Gog version and it works with the version from SVN.

With the latest exe, I see there is now increased APs 3-4 times. When was this new system introduced and is there a way to disable this?

I started my first game with build 2124 which has still the old system of APs.

The_scorpion

Liturgist
the 100 AP system is a typical 1.13 feature such that it is a futile attempt to save a horrible overall weapon balancing. The increased number of AP's allows some finetuning in weapon AP costs. It sacrifices the simplicity and intuition of the 25 AP system for that... if you can't get used to it, there's APBPconstants.ini in the custom data folder location, typically data-1.13

there you can change stuff like AP_MAXIMUM = 100 back to what it was under the normal system. if each and every xml will comply... i don't know, in theory, this works.

be aware that latest exe's, especially since HAM integration, change very frequently and add a lot of weird and unbalancing stuff. Latest options.ini will require the player to fix tons of experimental stuff, so here's a little warning if you observe weird sideeffects of using new exe's.

Burning Bridges

Thanks the_scorpion, this is very useful information. May I ask which exe you are using?

there's APBPconstants.ini in the custom data folder location, typically data-1.13

I just did that, set the first line to 25, delete all other lines and it was back to 25AP. Nice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom