Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance Jagged Alliance 2, Temple of Elemental Evil & Silent Storm Retrospectives

Which game has the best tactics?

• Jagged Alliance 2

• Silent Storm

• Temple of Elemental Evil

Results are only viewable after voting.
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Jagged Alliance 2.

ja2.jpg

Silent Storm.

Temple of Elemental Evil.

Last edited:

Zetor

Arcane
Wasn't the JA2 write-up done by a non-codexer (Shanga - admin at the Bear's Pit forums)? Though yea, that text is pretty bad, even if the writer is ESL.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Yeah it's not written by a Codexer.

The "book" is "edited" by a Codexer. And spammed here and there with pride despite having appalling write-ups like that in it. For what is arguably a GOAT game.

Anyway, looking forward to ppl poking holes in my write-up. :smug:

Last edited:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
True that but don't make claims like "The Codex jerk circle is blatantly obvious. You guys should blush with embarrassment." when the author of the article is not a Codexer. Also, it's called a circle jerk in common parlance, not the other way around.

Considering felipe is Brazilian and all the articles are written by volunteers, many of whom are also non-native speakers, I'm sure he'd be happy to receive an offer of assistance from you.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The "book" is "edited" by a Codexer. And spammed here and there with pride despite having appalling write-ups like that in it. For what is arguably a GOAT game.
Assuming GOAT = Game of All Time, using the phrase "GOAT game" is as bad as writing "RPG game". :rpgcodex:

And you have an odd way of expressing affection, Lilura. :M

spectre

Arcane
3. JA2 is a b-action movie?
JA2 makes wonderful use of this convention, B-movie aesthetics and allusions are all there.
Let's just have a look at the main theme - a ragtag team of mercenaries is hired to bring order to a remote country by toppling a dictator
- overstated characters, stereotypes, mixing light-hearted humor and bon mots with the gruesome.
You decide the theme, you decide the actors, you decide the adventures, in a sense the original statement that the player is sort of like a movie director isn't at all unfounded, if we keep in mind how sandbox the game is.

Also, you are being pedantic about other people's language, yet you write "ppl". Please improve.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
3. JA2 is a b-action movie?
JA2 makes wonderful use of this convention, B-movie aesthetics and allusions are all there.
Let's just have a look at the main theme - a ragtag team of mercenaries is hired to bring order to a remote country by toppling a dictator
- overstated characters, stereotypes, mixing light-hearted humor and bon mots with the gruesome.
You decide the theme, you decide the actors, you decide the adventures, in a sense the original statement that the player is sort of like a movie director isn't at all unfounded, if we keep in mind how sandbox the game is.

Also, you are being pedantic about other people's language, yet you write "ppl". Please improve.

If you wanna watch a true JA2 b-action movie I recommend Men of War with Dolph Lundgren. Probably the movie that come closest to the JA2 feeling in movie format.

I like the article btw, nice job.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
C'mon guys. You're supposed to be tearing my write-up and image-editing skillz apart; it's the Codex way.

Especially after my constructive criticism of the cRPG book.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
C'mon guys. You're supposed to be tearing my write-up and image-editing skillz apart; it's the Codex way.

Especially after my constructive criticism of the cRPG book.

Where did you criticize the cRPG book?

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Are the clowns who own the IP still making browser-game trash with it?

NuXCOM should have used most of the JA2 combat system instead of the 2ap and MMO-ability crap.
JA2 is/was probably the pinnacle of squad tactics games in terms of controls/ruleset etc. Iron out some stuff and it beats anything I've played since in that regard.

That this franchise has not been properly continued/remade is unfuckingbelievable. I played the RTWP crap and man, what were they thinking.

Severian Silk

That this franchise has not been properly continued/remade is unfuckingbelievable. I played the RTWP crap and man, what were they thinking.
There have been no total conversion mods in recent years, either.

Modron

Arcane
Are the clowns who own the IP still making browser-game trash with it?

NuXCOM should have used most of the JA2 combat system instead of the 2ap and MMO-ability crap.
JA2 is/was probably the pinnacle of squad tactics games in terms of controls/ruleset etc. Iron out some stuff and it beats anything I've played since in that regard.

Nival working on a Jagged Alliance game in the Silent Storm engine was probably the closest we ever got to a legitimate sequel.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
There have been no total conversion mods in recent years, either.

I haven't kept up past 1.13 tbh. You can only expect so much from the modders with no new proper game in ages and all that ancient code.

The game mechanics or some derivative thereof should have become the industry standard for (most) turn based tactics games long ago and continually improved upon since. Fucking industry.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom