Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Jagged Alliance 2 Mods

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I've played vanilla JA2 and 1.13 many, many times but I've never tried most of the other mods out there. I've been looking for some new content/areas adding mods especially, since I've freed Arulco so many times already. Can someone tell what are the best or most popular mods and what they do? Also, I've never played Wildfire, is it good?

Self-Ejected

aeternalis

Wordcel
Patron
Wildfire is okay. It's mostly a new set of harder maps and a group of new mercs (which all got added to 1.13 anyway). I think you can play the Wildfire mapset with 1.13 if you're so inclined.

Personally, I recommend Urban Chaos; it always seemed like the most "complete" mod to me. The team managed to create it before the JA2 source code release, basically just hacking things in, which was very impressive. It has a new storyline/modded quests set in an Eastern European-inspired country, a ton of urban environments, subways, banks to rob, mercs, etc. Starts out as a bit of a scavenging game since you don't get any weapons (you arrive in the country via airplane). Good maps, a ton of content and a pretty active 1.13 conversion here. Downsides would be some weird/broken voice acting and a dumb goony character "Rude Dog" voiced by one of the developers.

I also remember Arulco Revisited being good, it's focused more on the original experience but with new maps, some more towns, and general rebalancing, but it's not up to date with the latest versions of 1.13, so you miss out on about 1.5 years worth of development. Still worth trying, I think.

Bear's Pit forums maintain a definitive list of mods, there's a number of others. Russians and Germans have made a few mods but I don't know much about them.

Trivia: JA2 modder the_scorpion used to post on the Codex but I don't think he's active anymore (in JA2 or here). He worked on a mod called Renegade Republic and did some cool stuff modding in new graphics/animations like a new merc bodytype.

Last edited:

Severian Silk

The WildFire maps are great! Maybe better than the originals.

I didn't like Urban Chaos much. There are too many 6ft fences/walls/barriers you can't climb that make the game a PITA.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Possible to play the Wildfire maps in JA2 1.13?

Edit:

I would love to replay JA2 with some new maps, but I have heard Wildfire on its own is pretty bad.

Wintermute

Augur
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
AIMNAS FAQ
Q: What the hell IS AIMNAS anyways?

A: It's an Item mod for JA2 1.13, adding something between 1200 and 1400 items to the basic 1.13. It is also the only mod at this point of time that uses the big maps project.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Yeah, and the maps are YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE. You can snipe people 2Km away (1 square is still 10m) with a Barret .50. Pretty fun.

huge maps may add realism but what about navigation and stealth? don't do they add hours of tedium too?

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Are the bigger maps even finished yet? They weren't year or so ago.

Self-Ejected

aeternalis

Wordcel
Patron
Possible to play the Wildfire maps in JA2 1.13?

Edit:

I would love to replay JA2 with some new maps, but I have heard Wildfire on its own is pretty bad.

This thread should have what you want ("Wildfire 6.07 Maps Mod")

Thanks. I found that thread from google, but downloading each file one by one is a bit much for me.

You can use an SVN client (e.g. https://tortoisesvn.net/ ) to download everything. This is how they used to distribute 1.13 updates, thankfully some nice folks have started generating single-click installers.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Aha, thanks man. That was the mysterious SVN mean :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom