Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jaesun moves threads at random.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Most JRPGs never tried to be RPGs, they tried to be Wizardry. Japanese people love to grind, da l00t and (sometimes) being in a maze. Then they took some adventure games and replaced the puzzles with "bosses", and moar grind & l00t.

It was never about recreating a P&P experience, they don't care about character development, choices, creating a world, or even combat. They want to grind to unlock their anime...

JRPGs can suck my dick :rpgcodex:

This seems like it might be a pretty good explanation of the mysterious reasons why JRPGs so often turn out to be terrible.

Johannes

Arcane
Most JRPGs never tried to be RPGs, they tried to be Wizardry. Japanese people love to grind, da l00t and (sometimes) being in a maze. Then they took some adventure games and replaced the puzzles with "bosses", and moar grind & l00t.

It was never about recreating a P&P experience, they don't care about character development, choices, creating a world, or even combat. They want to grind to unlock their anime...

JRPGs can suck my dick :rpgcodex:

This seems like it might be a pretty good explanation of the mysterious reasons why JRPGs so often turn out to be terrible.
But what's the explanation for western games that turn out terrible?

PorkaMorka

Arcane

Most Western party based RPGs are actually pretty good (DA2 being a notable exception), they just stopped making them and decided to make bad games instead.

JRPGs are more difficult to understand though. They have a lot of elements that you'd like to see in an RPG, parties, turn based combat, complicated, original mechanics. But they're surprisingly unpleasant to play and it is not always clear why that is.

MMXI

Arcane

Most Western party based RPGs are actually pretty good (DA2 being a notable exception), they just stopped making them and decided to make bad games instead.

JRPGs are more difficult to understand though. They have a lot of elements that you'd like to see in an RPG, parties, turn based combat, complicated, original mechanics. But they're surprisingly unpleasant to play and it is not always clear why that is.
Well, old western RPGs such as Wizardry and The Bard's Tale were fine because they were limited to constant fighting. They did so in a very RPG-like manner. Later, western RPGs began adopting non-combat skills and abilities to extend the RPG mechanics beyond combat. JRPGs initially copied the Wizardry model, which again was fine, but when they started adopting increasingly more non-combat situations but without governing them with additional RPG mechanics. This ultimately led to the lack of dialogue options and heavy cut-scenes.

In other words, a higher percentage of what your characters actually do is governed by statistics in the classic western RPGs. If you watch a typical Final Fantasy cut-scene you'll see your character say all sorts of shit and do all sorts of shit, without you having a say in the matter and without their statistics influencing them.

Of course, western RPGs went to shit when they turned into action games with bare minimum statistics. Even though JRPGs often contain large periods of scripted sequences (cut-scenes, automatic dialogue), they now contain more periods of turn-based, stat heavy gameplay than western "RPGs". I guess that makes JRPGs better nowadays?

I'm generalizing in all of this, though. There are plenty of modern Japanese dungeon crawlers that are still as pure as the early western dungeon crawlers. There are also plenty of really stat-light JRPGs with action combat.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012

Kz3r0

Arcane
'tis better to lay with a fattie that fucks like a tiger, than to lay with a buxom redhead that fucks like a dead fish

No.
I believe you have just identified one of life's big questions.

BRO METRO CMON YOU HAVE GOTTEN LAID BEFORE RIGHT!!!!??!!

AFTER YOU HAVE HAD SEX A COUPE TIMES YOU WANT A WOMAN THAT WILL SUCK AND FUCK LIKE IT WAS HER JOB
All the queer people on this board had more sex each that the rest of the board combined.
This is proof that sex turns you gay, be a real man, follow Jesus teachings, stay a virgin.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-mass-effect-3-demo.69880/page-2#post-1987190

Jaesun moving stuff around again because... why not?

I would also request that this thread: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-mass-effect-thread.68704/page-157

Gets moved to GRPGD since it's about Mass Effect now.

Good I wanted to bring this up.

I'm standing my ground on this, based off the information to be found on the official website. And also following his flowchart thread, it specifically states "Is the game marketed as a RPG?".

There is NO mention of Mass Effect 3 being a Role Playing Game on the official Site: http://masseffect.com/about/

I am merely enforcing what DU has already stated (in my interpretation). DarkUnderlord is however the final arbitrator of this matter.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
He just can't help himself. It's the fag within.
And you manage to be gayer than him has ever been Dicksmoker.

All of you, stop bugging Jaesun, he is doing a fine job.

Thanks for the support hon. But to be honest, if you actually think I take personally or even care what people say about me, you don't have to worry about that. I just laugh.

The day I let that crap get to me is the day I should completely stop using the internets.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
There is NO mention of Mass Effect 3 being a Role Playing Game on the official Site: http://masseffect.com/about/

http://www.ea.com/mass-effect-3

Genre : RPG, Action

Clearly indicates that Mass Effect 3 is considered as an RPG by the publisher. I can't see how anyone could possibly dispute that.

ugh I wish I could merge the other thrread here.

AGAIN, that is not the official site. That is a site for selling EA's games. The genre it is classified is not an indication of what it is marketed as. It is merely "tags" for items and is used only for sales. I know specifically about this topic, as I did it for a living.

Kz3r0

Arcane
He just can't help himself. It's the fag within.
And you manage to be gayer than him has ever been Dicksmoker.

All of you, stop bugging Jaesun, he is doing a fine job.

Thanks for the support hon. But to be honest, if you actually think I take personally or even care what people say about me, you don't have to worry about that. I just laugh.

The day I let that crap get to me is the day I should completely stop using the internets.
Never lose the opportunity to show support to a bro.:bro:

And dissing retards, of course.

racofer

Thread Incliner

Clearly indicates that Mass Effect 3 is considered as an RPG by the publisher. I can't see how anyone could possibly dispute that.

AGAIN, that is not the official site. That is a site for selling EA's games.

It's EA's site, not a store or anything like that. They happen to be as official as it gets when it comes to their games.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

AGAIN, that is not the official site. That is a site for selling EA's games.

It's EA's site, not a store or anything like that. They happen to be as official as it gets when it comes to their games.

Not in the experience I have on this. Anyways that is your opinion on the matter and that's fine. I maintain my stance on the official website.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Anyways that is your opinion on the matter and that's fine.

Only it's not an opinion. It's what is written on the publisher's website.

How many years of experience do you have on online website stores?
None. What does this have to do with the EA's website, which is not an online store?

You know the exact specifics of how a online store is run, set up, and created? I have over 4 years of experience on this matter.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Anyways that is your opinion on the matter and that's fine.

Only it's not an opinion. It's what is written on the publisher's website.

How many years of experience do you have on online website stores?
None. What does this have to do with the EA's website, which is not an online store?

You know the exact specifics of how a online store is run, set up, and created? I have over 4 years of experience on this matter.
That's great.

However, EA's website is not an online store.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom