Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jaded

Barghest

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
My last 3 PC RPGs were Oblivion, Gothic 3 & Neverwinter Nights 2. You can understand why I'm feeling pretty low about the whole PC RPG industry...

I need something else to have a go at which isn't as distressingly shit as the above games. I've played all the usual suspects (Baldurs, Torment, Kotor etc) so what about any odd-ball titles I've missed, or downloadable RPGs? Any thing GOOD coming out in the next couple of months?

Help...

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
World of Warcraft? I liked the quest line..altho you hardly make a difference...some of it has decent writing. But the treadmill on levelling gets to you a bit....but I can overlook that, for a month or two.

Fez

Erudite
Are indie/graphically plain games acceptable?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Played Fallout? No? Then get both Fallout 1 and 2. Don't give a fuck about Tactics or BoS, they both rather suck, especially BoS.

Then get yourself Arcanum. The best RPG ever, period. And everything else made by Troika.

Then try out Ultima VII, if you can stand the old DOS graphics. Old DOS RPGs are the best games to look out for if you're looking for some quality gaming. Most modern RPGs, especially the newer releases, are too shallow to be real Role Playing fun. Except Gothic. Try the Gothic series.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Spiderweb games? Realms of Arkania (the second game is da bomb)? Darklands (a simply must-play game)? Space Rangers 2? Escape Velocity: Nova?

- Roguelikes - popular ones include ADOM, Nethack, Gearhead, and Dungeon Crawl
- Wizardry 8
- Prelude to Darkness
- Devil's Whiskey
- Wasteland
- Ultimas 4-7, Ultima Underworld 1 & 2
- System Shock 1 & 2

More details on the types of RPGs you prefer would probably help with narrowing down your choices. Do you like first-person or top down/isometric? Do you like to control a single character or an entire party? Do the graphics need to be at certain level? Real-time or turn-based? Any particular genres you are more interested in than others (fantasy, sci-fi, modern, western, etc.)? Do you enjoy dungeon crawls?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Betrayal of Krondor, of course. It has everything that defines the RPG genre. I think it's the best RPG ever made.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"NWN1 was a huge disappointment for many gamers."

Define many. Can't be too many sinc eit spawned two expansions, a sequel, tons of user mods, tons of variations, ton sof patches continuing to this day, tons of premium mods,etc., etc.

" Volourn is the only one here who likes it.

Why do you lie? That must expalin all the non Volournian 'I like NWN posts' here.

R00fles!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Volourn said:
"NWN1 was a huge disappointment for many gamers."

Define many. Can't be too many sinc eit spawned two expansions, a sequel, tons of user mods, tons of variations, ton sof patches continuing to this day, tons of premium mods,etc., etc.

The original poster said his most recent games included Oblivion and NWN 2. Both disappointed him. And both, especially Oblivion, were highly praised by the press, and by the mainstream gamers. Many here are disappointed by them. The number of expansions, mods, patches or sequels does not indicate the quality of the game. It just indicates that it sold well, for whatever reasons.

Iasi, Romania?... Postcount: bigger then yours
Can you please post a list of the games you've played? (I doupth you've only played BG, PS:T and KotOR) Because I'm shooting in the dark here.

Rogue-likes

Ancient Domain of Mystery
The UnReal World
NetHack
Gearhead (some dumbfucks say it's better then ADOM)
and some of the older Wizardry titles (8 is the best, but it doesn't have the same dungeon crawl feeling like the first 6)

Sandbox CRPGs

Darklands
The Magic Candle
The Elder Scrolls I and II

Story based with memorable NPCs

Dark Heart of Uukrul?
Betrayal at Krondor
Realms of Arkania (the second game is da bomb)
Ultima 4-7
Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magicka Obscura
Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines

Cool combat CRPGs

Temple of Elemental Evil (pump it up with pacthes before playing it)
Silent Storm
Jagged Alliance 1 & 2
X-Com Enemy Unknown
X-Com Apocalypse
UFO: Aftermath (X-Com with cartoon graphics and lamer gameplay)
Icewind Dale 1

EDIT:

King of Dragon Pass - Out of CDs, but - BUT! - but...

We can burn a copy of the CD. Send a check(in US$, drawn on a US bank) for the game ($19.95), shipping (First Class is $5.95; Air Mail is $9.95), and any tax to:

A Sharp, LLC
1517 NW 64th St
Seattle, WA 98107-2343
USA
Or contact us to pay via PayPal. Please note that we aren’t a retail operation and can’t promise to ship promptly.

We offer a money-back guarantee.

You can buy it here

Geneforge and Avernum series by Spiderweb Software
Prelude to Darkness by Zero-Sum
Teudogar and the Alliance with Rome
You can wait for Age of Decandence
Dungeon: The Crown Wars
The Warrior's Tale
Runesword
King's Knight
Mark Damon Hughes - Umbra
Arunderan
Hero of Allacrost
FastCrawl - hack 'n slasher
Morning's Wrath

Volourn

Pretty Princess
NWN1 does not equal NWN2.

Game over.

"The number of expansions, mods, patches or sequels does not indicate the quality of the game."

Sure, it does. Just ebcause a certain % of the gaming population doesn't like a certain game doesn't mean that game lacks quality.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Volourn said:
NWN1 does not equal NWN2.

Game over.

"The number of expansions, mods, patches or sequels does not indicate the quality of the game."

Sure, it does. Just ebcause a certain % of the gaming population doesn't like a certain game doesn't mean that game lacks quality.

Also doesn't mean that the original poster will like it.
He sounded like he wanted an RPG with a complex story, good quests and choices and consequences. NWN is basically one big dungeon crawl.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
No more than half the games listed here. besdies, he bought NWN2. I would hope that means he enjoyed NWN1 or it proves he's retarded. Plus, NWN1 is more than just the OC. There are tons of other stories available as well. More bang for your relatively cheap buck.

The guy, btw, listed KOTOR as one of his 'classics'.

I rest my case.

NWN1 is listed.

Cthulhugoat

Arbiter
Roguelikes: IVAN.

FPCRPGs: Might & Magic - any title beyond Isles of Terra.
Lands of Lore.

Try playing the Gold Box series as well, if the graphics aren't a turn off.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Also, Divine Divinity is quite enjoyable for a slightly more ambitious Diablo clone.
With good music.

Kraszu

Prophet
Space rangers 2 is good, specific game, sandbox whit world that progress even when you do nothing, good mini games like text games, simple rts (kinda like Z) all optional but it can influence main game (by giving you profit basically) you can make it different way through.But also it can get you out of the prison faster [...].

LCJr.

Erudite
JarlFrank said:
Volourn said:
NWN1. Best game ever.

Don't listen to Volourn.
NWN1 was a huge disappointment for many gamers. Volourn is the only one here who likes it.

Don't listen to JarlFrank.
Everything Troika made was a huge disappointment for many gamers. Volourn is the only Volourn here. Praise Jesus!

aVENGER

Arcane
Developer
Barghest said:
Any thing GOOD coming out in the next couple of months?

Well, I don't think any of these will be out in a couple of months but they're definitively worth following:

Eschalon: Book I - isometric turn based goodness, done in the spirit of Ultima and Wizardry games, old skool style.

Age of Decadence - VD's game, it attempts to capture the spirit of Fallout in a post-apocalyptic fantasy setting inspired by the Roman Empire. Sounds very promising although I wish he used a hex grid :wink:

The Broken Hourglass - Made by some of the best modders from the BG2 community. Should be quite good.

LCJr.

Erudite
aVENGER said:
Eschalon: Book I - isometric turn based goodness, done in the spirit of Ultima and Wizardry games, old skool style.

I'm not sure what this is anymore. They keep putting out mixed signals(or PR BS) about the combat.

The turn-based system is definitely one of the areas that we have experimented with. As long as your character is doing something- for example walking, swinging a sword, or drinking a potion- then the engine just processes game turns without pause. If you stop your character and don`t issue any commands to him, the whole world sits and waits for your input. Combat can play out faster than most turn-based games because the moment you swing your sword or fire an arrow, the game will predetermine the outcome of all the other actions and rolls going on, then play all the events out, in order of initiative, almost instantly. It will be interesting to see how well hardcore gamers take to this style of turn-based gaming.

Thomas Riegsecker: Book I's combat is turn-based, but the duration of a turn is governed by your character's Speed attribute. As it increases, the time it takes to cast a spell or swing a sword decreases, allowing you perform more turns in the same span of time than a slower opponent would be able to. So, in some ways, the game can play out with a very action-like feel, but at its core, it is still turn-based and strategy-centric.

Early on, simple battles might be won by just clicking away on your opponent, but eventually, you'll have to approach combat with a lot more thought to be successful. With traditional melee combat, bows and thrown weapons, offensive and defensive spells, and factors to consider such as range, line of sight and visibility, combat offers considerable opportunity for strategy.

dagorkan

Arbiter
LCJr. said:
Thomas Riegsecker: Book I's combat is turn-based, but the duration of a turn is governed by your character's Speed attribute. As it increases, the time it takes to cast a spell or swing a sword decreases, allowing you perform more turns in the same span of time than a slower opponent would be able to. So, in some ways, the game can play out with a very action-like feel, but at its core, it is still turn-based and strategy-centric.

Early on, simple battles might be won by just clicking away on your opponent, but eventually, you'll have to approach combat with a lot more thought to be successful. With traditional melee combat, bows and thrown weapons, offensive and defensive spells, and factors to consider such as range, line of sight and visibility, combat offers considerable opportunity for strategy.

Sounds pretty good to me. All it says is that they aren't going with some retarded AD&D combat model. One attack per round is out-of-date.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom