Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

JA2 and Win10

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Disaster bros!

After updating to Win10, JA2 1.13 doesn't want to run. Compatibility mode on (Win7) and it runs but with 1-2 FPS. Unplayable. Anybody have a fix/workaround?

Nostaljaded

Savant
edit: win8 fix helps indeed.
1.changing compatibilty (winxpsp3,16bitcolor,runadmin,intro0) = game works but slowmo.
2.put the files from win8fix (ja2folder/docs/windowscompatibilityfixes) in ja2folder. = game runs normal
Source

Do let the codexers know if the above works.

Cassidy

Arcane
You installed a malware disguised as an OS. Uninstall it and not only your problems with JA2 will be solved, but also you won't have a permanent keylogger and super spyware resource draining your PC.

Luka-boy

Arcane
No JA2? Yep, definitely never "upgrading" to 10.
144692780663884pss.gif

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Is this only applied to 1.13, or even the original game?

No need to panic though, I'm sure the 1.13 modders will fix it.

Declinator

Arbiter
Here is how I got it running:

First I also got a black screen i fullscreen mode. Then I changed to windowed mode, and i changed the compability of ja2.exe:
Run in XP sp3 mode.
Reduced color 16 bit
Run as admin.

I also set win 98 compabitly mode to true in the INI editor. (Might not be needed).

Now I got in the game, but I kept getting "Assertion error" or something similar.
Then I added the three DLL files from the "win8 fix".
ddraw.dll, libwine.dll and wined3d.dll and put them in my JA2 directory.

Now it runs perfectly, both in windowed mode and in fullscreen.

From here: http://thepit.ja-galaxy-forum.com/index.php?t=msg&th=22771

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Win8 fix only helps with slow-mo, but it causes graphical issues. Skyrider map is fucked up, for instance. Also, it doesn't solve the freezing laptop problem (stay in your ingame laptop for long enough, usually it takes 5-20 mins, and your game will permanently freeze, guaranteed). The fix worked no prob for me back on Win 8, but not so great on Win 10.

So instead of using these files, a better way is to create a .reg file using your basic .txt and write down the following (change the directory to ja2.exe to your own; double slashes are necessary):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers]
"C:\\games\\ja2\\ja2.exe"="~ DWM8And16BitMitigation Layer_ForceDirectDrawEmulation 8And16BitAggregateBlts"

Then you gotta run this file, not just copy to your game directory or whatever.

Ok, so that fixes the slow-mo without causing any graphical artifacts. But the problem with freezing laptop still remains.

:negative:

Can't find any solution on teh internets. If somebody knows one, pls share. Meanwhile, I'll just have to do my laptop business faster.

AetherVagrant

Arbiter
Patron
:necro:

Maybe this was answered in the main thread, but after several days of screwing around I finally got JA2 to run smoothly on Windows 10. I'd followed most recommendations including compatibility settings, set 16bit color, copied the .dll files etc...was able to play but still got constant freezes and fuckery in the battle maps. I did all of the above (the registry change didn't do shit for me) aka "WinXP3 compatibility, Set 16bit color, Run as admin, Win98 compatibility: false, copied .dll fix files into the gamedir...then downloaded Prio (https://www.prnwatch.com/prio/) started game up in windowed mode (for some reason can't scroll on the map in windowed mode with either mouse or keyboard) opened task manager and set cpu affinity to zero. Prio saves cpu affinity settings permanently, so that I could quit the game and switch it back to fullscreen, and don't have to res set the affinity or make a shortcut.
Now I get no freezes on the laptop anymore, scrolling works fine, animations are smooth, fullscreen 1600x900 with no graphical glitches.

TheGameSquid

Scholar
Mini-necro:

Personally I had a lot of problems with every version of the game I could come up with
  • GOG version was the best, but ran somewhat sluggish
  • Steam version didn't even start, ran like the GOG version after fixing the intro vid
  • Straciatella unfortunately ran like absolute shit, ran about 5 times worse than the GOG version
  • Installing 1.13 on top of the GOG version resulted in 5fps per second, flickering, and other issues.
The fix came from the Codex's own sser

Posting this here for posterity.

I had issues getting the game to run smoothly on my laptop which is Windows 10. Basically, I could get it to run 1.13 after setting compatibility to Windows 8, but the game (in particular, the mouse) was very laggy.

Took this fix from Steam:

Originally posted by Avada Kedavra:
Hope this would help someone.

1. Go to http://www.nongnu.org/wined3d/

2. Look for:
Full directory (with older versions, patches...): http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/wined3d

3. Than look for v1.1.38 / 24-Jun-2013 20:02
4. Download the wined3d.exe
5. Extract It with 7zip.
6. Copy ddraw.dll, libwine.dll and wined3d.dll from extracted $SYSDIR folder into the root folder of your JA2 installation

7. ???????
8. PROFIT

Worked like a charm. Amazing how people can figure this stuff out.

The game runs buttery smooth now. GOG remains the preferred version, and both vanilla and 1.13 run without issues!
:incline:

TheGameSquid

Scholar
Win10 is spyware cancer.

Sure, and Windows 95/98/2000/ME/XP/Vista/7/8 were the second coming of christ, right? /s
Of course it's a piece of shit, but so is pretty much every major release of Windows. If you're running XP, 7, or 8, you're just as gullible people running 10.

Unfortunately, it's still mostly a necessary evil for playing games. I basically run my Windows partition exclusively for playing games, and in that case I'd rather keep it up to date to be able to use the latest versions of DirectX. It sucks but that seems to be the best way to roll atm. I don't even run Windows at my job, so trust me that I'd rather avoid it if I could.

I freely admit that I somewhat regret moving to 10 however, but I just haven't had the time or energy do a 7 re-install. It shouldn't take much effort mind you, but JA2 is actually the first game that gave me trouble on Win 10, so I haven't had much incentive either.

Why don't you run it on Linux?

Like I said, I run an Arch partition next to my Windows partition, and I use it for basically everything non-gaming. I would definitely give JA2 on Linux a shot if it ran natively. Props to the Wine devs for their work on it and all, but it's still a colossal hack that I'd rather avoid when I can. GOG ships JA2 for Mac with Wine for example, but it doesn't work on either of my OSX machines.

And like I said, Straciatella runs terrible for me. That includes both the Windows and Linux builds. Otherwise, that would have probably been the setup I'd have gone with.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
If you're running XP, 7, or 8, you're just as gullible people running 10.

No they're not. People who've performed the free upgrade in 2015/2016 are especially gullible. Your parents probably taught you to always suspect that which is offered free, but you forgot. Or you were seduced. Doesnt matter.

Now those people regret it and post butthurt such as this.

Of course it's a piece of shit, but so is pretty much every major release of Windows.

Windows is shit generally however Windows 10 introduced problems none other has had and it spies more than any other version of Windows.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom