Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline J_C fails his Codex check...again - Betrayal at Krondor is the best RPG ever, but I'm not feeling it

TigerKnee

Arcane
What do you guys think about BaK's combat?

Especially the combat fags.

Good? Bad? "Acceptable because of the rest of the game"?

madrigal

Augur
I wasn't jumping into defensive mode, I just thought it was stupid that you think that difficulty is something negative, especially when it relates almost entirely to your lack of skill.

And I know you want to be spared the OH J_ C YOU ARE SO DUMB lines but it is so fucking difficult when you say something irredeemably stupid in every fucking post.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Has tongue
But cannot talk
Runs
But cannot walk

Be honest guys, without looking it up on Google, could you solve this on you first playthrough?

I would have never guessed that in a million years. My first guess was "shoe" but it turns out that there's nuances to the English language I just didn't know.

There are some stinkers in there but a lot of those riddles are goddamn fantastic. I had a walkthrough with all of them written out and people used to ask me for them in school so they'd have something to think about while we were all bored in class.
The solution is:
WAGON

Who would think about that?

I wasn't jumping into defensive mode, I just thought it was stupid that you think that difficulty is something negative, especially when it relates almost entirely to your lack of skill.

And I know you want to be spared the OH J_ C YOU ARE SO DUMB lines but it is so fucking difficult when you say something irredeemably stupid in every fucking post.
I'm stating facts about the game, not saying stupid things. Plus I add if I like the design aspect of the game or not. I never said that the game is shit, I only said that I don't like the control scheme and the lack of journal. I don't know what's so stupid about this.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't mind the riddleboxes, actually I think they are brilliant, even though I can't figure out most of them. I'll just leave them closed then, not going to consult a walkthrough just to get some loot.

At one point though you have to open a specific box - without knowing which box or that you even have to - to advance in the main quest. Not sure how I feel about that.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Good enough. Better than most CRPGs of the DOS era.
Gold Box games were in a league of its own.
After the Gold Box games I actually prefer the abstract combat of games like Wizardry, Bard's Tale (if you disregard the encounter frequency) and MM 1-2.
After the blobber games the best combat is in games like Uukrul, Ultima 5 and Demon's Winter. In that league I would also put BaK.

Most of the rest of the DOS era CRPGs is simplistic combat with little to no tactics involved.
This is from the top of my head, so I may have forgotten some games that deserve mention.

madrigal

Augur
I'm stating facts about the game, not saying stupid things. Plus I add if I like the design aspect of the game or not. I never said that the game is shit, I only said that I don't like the control scheme and the lack of journal. I don't know what's so stupid about this.

You are incredulous that anyone can solve a wordlock with limited combinations and which the clue fits perfectly, a chest that even someone who didn't speak any English could open. Stupid.

From your OP you say you know BAK is not shit, yet you haven't played past Chapter 2. Stupid.

You complain that you have to press the keys when you want to move or turn around. WTF, Stupid.

You say that mages are useless, hilariously stupid.

You say the game has aged horribly, which is not a fact just your opinion.

You ignore advice and game objectives and complain that trolls are too powerful and you have no way of knowing what the fork does. when you and your characters shouldn't know at that stage. Stupid

You complain about wasting money on scrolls when you don't know what they do, when that is the whole point that Owyn is new to magic and learning how it works and that is part of the fun as well as discovering new items.

Character skill system not transparent. Stupid.

You say your GOG library has so many games that you would rather play yet you decide to replay BAK because someone on the Internet said you were wrong. Stupid.

You claim you are not going to krondor in Chapter 1. Impossibly stupid.

You constantly spew your worthless opinion and then you claim it is not stupid because you are only speaking facts. Carry on.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You are incredulous that anyone can solve a wordlock with limited combinations and which the clue fits perfectly, a chest that even someone who didn't speak any English could open. Stupid.
What? I just said that they are difficult, and looking at other posters, they also say that sometimes they couldn't solve them.

From your OP you say you know BAK is not shit, yet you haven't played past Chapter 2. Stupid.
Fucking what? I spent about 15 hours in BAK, so I know that it is not shit. Are you retarded?

You complain that you have to press the keys when you want to move or turn around. WTF, Stupid.
For moving around in the game world, you have to repeteadly press the keys, which is a fact. And not just pressing them once or twice, but mashing it. If you keep it pressed, you go forward or turn too fast, and you might miss stuff. Roofles!

You say that mages are useless, hilariously stupid.
You got me there, familiarizing myself with the game a little more, I see that they re not shit.

You say the game has aged horribly, which is not a fact just your opinion.
You are right again, that was subjective indeed. You are on a roll body.

You complain about wasting money on scrolls when you don't know what they do, when that is the whole point that Owyn is new to magic and learning how it works and that is part of the fun as well as discovering new items.
Fucking LARPER. Nice theory by the way, except it is bullshit. You can read the descriptions just fine after you bought the spell, right clicking on it. But you can't read it in the storefront.

You ignore advice and game objectives and complain that trolls are too powerful and you have no way of knowing what the fork does. when you and your characters shouldn't know at that stage. Stupid
I didn't say that trolls are too powerful, I can slay them.. I just said that nobody tells you what the fork does. I explored a huge chunk of the Kingdom, and nobody told me yet, nobody even gave a hint about the tuning fork. Can you even read?

Character skill system not transparent. Stupid.
Oh it is? How is damage calculated and where is it explained? Idiot.

You say your GOG library has so many games that you would rather play yet you decide to replay BAK because someone on the Internet said you were wrong. Stupid.
I gave it another try because I thought I wasn't playing it with the right mindset. What is stupid about that? I see you are just trying to troll me you fucking newfag.

You claim you are not going to krondor in Chapter 1. Impossibly stupid.
Why should I hurry there when I have the possibility to explore other areas? And it's not like other people do the same (for example in the Codex LP) You are really trying to hard.

You constantly spew your worthless opinion and then you claim it is not stupid because you are only speaking facts. Carry on.
And here you are, trying to prove that what I say is stupid, while claiming ridiculous things, twisting my words and making shit up.

Last edited:

madrigal

Augur
What? I just said that they are difficult, and looking at other posters, they also say that sometimes they couldn't solve them.
If you can't bruteforce a five letter word with only four options for each position then you are stupid.

For moving around in the game world, you have to repeteadly press the keys, which is a fact. And not just pressing them once or twice, but mashing it. If you keep it pressed, you go forward or turn too fast, and you might miss stuff. Roofles!

So you play the game in an emulator and then complain it is too fast, well then turn the fucking speed down you fucking idiot.

Fucking LARPER. Nice theory by the way, except it is bullshit. You can read the descriptions just fine after you bought the spell, right clicking on it. But you can't read it in the storefront.

You can examine wax sealed scrolls better after you have paid for them, wow how unrealistic what a terrible game.

I didn't say that trolls are too powerful, I can slay them.. I just said that nobody tells you what the fork does. I explored a huge chunk of the Kingdom, and nobody told me yet, nobody even gave a hint about the tuning fork. Can you even read?

Who gives a shit even if nobody knew how to deal with trolls.

Oh it is? How is damage calculated and where is it explained? Idiot.

Wow you really are retarded there is no skill governing damage, melee accuracy followed by a percentage is pretty self explanatory. Which skill were you confused by?

Why should I hurry there when I have the possibility to explore other areas? And it's not like other people do the same (for example in the Codex LP) You are really trying to hard.

I didn't say you should hurry there you fucking idiot, but going to krondor is a requirement for getting to the next chapter. You said you are not going to krondor in chapter 1, which means you aint getting to chapter 2.

polo

Magister
What would be a Wagon "tongue"? The stick that goes up to the horses?

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Almost all wordlocks were optionial, and the few quest-relevant one were easy to figure out. And them flutes, I didn't even know about them until I read this very thread and didn't have any trouble completing the game.

Waaah the game is difficult for non-natives
waaaaah the game doesnt hold my hand and tells me every little secret
waaah i have OCD and somehow thats the games fault

Waaah waaaaah waaaaah

FeelTheRads

Arcane
waaah i have OCD and somehow thats the games fault

I kinda understand this. I barely play any new games but I find it's very easy to catch the popamole from them and expect that everything you find in a game should be immediately obvious and that nothing can be simply optional.
Now, considering JC thinks Broken Age is a good game... well, you do the math. :troll:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
If you can't bruteforce a five letter word with only four options for each position then you are stupid.
Umm, if I don't even know the word in english for some reason, I can't brute force it. Anyway bruteforcing means you don't solve the puzzles by using your wit, but you depend on random luck, so I'd rather look it up in a walkthrough and not waste my time.

So you play the game in an emulator and then complain it is too fast, well then turn the fucking speed down you fucking idiot.
Problem is that if you turn down the emulator speed down so much that the moving speed is just right, the game's performance will suffer if you arrive to a forest with many objects. Of course you have no clue about this since you are an idiot.

You can examine wax sealed scrolls better after you have paid for them, wow how unrealistic what a terrible game.
That's a lame excuse and you know it fucker.

Who gives a shit even if nobody knew how to deal with trolls.
Obviously you do since you brought it up.

I didn't say you should hurry there you fucking idiot, but going to krondor is a requirement for getting to the next chapter. You said you are not going to krondor in chapter 1, which means you aint getting to chapter 2.
Are you really that dense? I know that you advance to Ch 2, if you go to Krondor, but I didn't want to go yet. I even wrote it earlier. But you had to pick on me, making shit up.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What would be a Wagon "tongue"? The stick that goes up to the horses?
yes, it's the harness connector. You almost have to be a peasant to think of that one... or a inveterate crossworder,

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Anyway bruteforcing means you don't solve the puzzles by using your wit, but you depend on random luck, so I'd rather look it up in a walkthrough and not waste my time.

Not really. Not bruteforcing as in just spinning the letters randomly.

You write this on a paper:

Code:
R A R P E
W H G M D
E I T E B
S L C O N

Then you start writing combinations and see which could end up in a word or not.
For example if you start with R you can dismiss H and L as the second letter.
And so on until you find a combination that makes a word.
3, 4 and maybe even 5 letter ones if you're patient can be solved like this.

Edit: Hell, even looking at the letters arranged like that you can fairly easily spot at least 3 possible words.

madrigal

Augur
Umm, if I don't even know the word in english for some reason, I can't brute force it. Anyway bruteforcing means you don't solve the puzzles by using your wit, but you depend on random luck, so I'd rather look it up in a walkthrough and not waste my time.
This statement is demonstrably wrong if you believe it is true you are stupid, if you don't then you are a liar. Bruteforce or trying every combination does not rely on luck at all it also does not require knowledge of english words the symbols could be anything. You really are the worst kind of person, spends 15 hours on the first chapter and then complains spending a few minutes cracking a lock is a waste of time and consults a walkthrough.

I am not going to bother keep pointing out your stupid because you say one thing and then it is proven wrong you pretend you said something else.

Gozma

Arcane
There's early '90s video game kid knowledge of the tongue thing because it's in Oregon Trail

Gozma

Arcane

Eh, it starts out OK but the distance between your power and enemy power grows out of control. Unless you have been beelining for chapter endpoints without wandering/doing sidequests you'll be 1-shotting everything by the 3rd chapter or so. It also has Fallout style "drink as many health potions as you want after you go into the inventory screen" although at least going into inventory costs a whole turn IIRC.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
I am not going to bother keep pointing out your stupid because you say one thing and then it is proven wrong you pretend you said something else.
Good, I got tired of your retarded bullshit anyway.

polo

Magister
I can't belive you didn't ignore that guy the first time. I did, and he was bashing you.

Renegen

Arcane
Here is one of the riddles:
Code:
A precious gift, this,
Yet it has no end or beginning,
And in the middle, nothing.

Can you guess the answer? What if I told you the answer has 4 letters and begins with R. The riddles were always meant to be solved with a combination of deduction and mechanical experimentation. Maybe the fact they are so well tailored to the way you solve them is what makes them memorable.

madrigal

Augur
It also has Fallout style "drink as many health potions as you want after you go into the inventory screen" although at least going into inventory costs a whole turn IIRC.
Yes that is true, it was only limited by inventory space but they stacked up to 24 which was plenty and the fact that characters could not die while another remained healthy meant that poison antidotes and herbal packs and temple healing were largely pointless.

In fact worse than pointless the fast healing methods actually retarded character development.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here is one of the riddles:
Code:
A precious gift, this,
Yet it has no end or beginning,
And in the middle, nothing.

Can you guess the answer? What if I told you the answer has 4 letters and begins with R. The riddles were always meant to be solved with a combination of deduction and mechanical experimentation. Maybe the fact they are so well tailored to the way you solve them is what makes them memorable.
Ring, innit?

Most riddles weren't hard, but yeah, I could bruteforce the ones I couldn't care to solve.

Like-

Ten trolls length, ten trolls' strength,
One troll can pick it up,
No troll can stand it up.

Then I whacked the keys and- BAM! when I saw the answer.

Gods, this game. :love:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom