Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

IWD2 source code lost, Beamdog is sad

Latelistener

Arcane
It will be interesting to see what their original work looks like and how your idea of Beamdog changes.
Baldurs-Gate-Dragonspear-Mizhena.jpg

:dgaider:

bigdogchris

Novice
The EE version of IWD2 is needed. Compatibility with Windows 10 and other newew OSes is almost non-existent. An IWD2:EE would give us functional Windows 10 support and native widescreen support.

I do wish I could take a peak at what they had access to or what there sources were. As I have pulled off miracles before with data recovery.

As one my specialize areas is data backup and recovery.

Shurgs

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I can put up a torrent with a patched IWD2 with fixed widescreen and framerate issues for Windwows 7,8,10. By that definition, which is completely sufficient btw, your IWD2 EE is sitting on my SSD right now, and it's completely free.

None of the fixes involve beamdog, and all the mod authors can be credited (I'm not among them), contacted, and donated to, by those who want to express their thanks. Sounds like a much better model for both modders and players than feeding leeches like Beamdog with your hard earned money.

Cael

Arcane
I can put up a torrent with a patched IWD2 with fixed widescreen and framerate issues for Windwows 7,8,10. By that definition, which is completely sufficient btw, your IWD2 EE is sitting on my SSD right now, and it's completely free.

None of the fixes involve beamdog, and all the mod authors can be credited (I'm not among them), contacted, and donated to, by those who want to express their thanks. Sounds like a much better model for both modders and players than feeding leeches like Beamdog with your hard earned money.
Offer it to cuckdog for $80 with the stipulation they are not to sell it. See how much they like it.

Citizen

I agree with bigdogchris that EE IWD2 is needed so it can be properly played on modern computers.

IE games are absolutely playable on modern machines. What would EE bring that IWDII doesn't have now? Sikret encounter with tranny kobold tribe? New bugs? If you think beamdoge would really do something good, like adding more interesting 3e classes, redrawing backgrounds (not just rescaling them to a blurry mess :argh:), adding more paperdolls, tweaking the difficulty, etc., you are naive. They will just merge in the widescreen mod, upscale the backgrounds and collect money from idiots who think that '90's games are unplayable'. I recently replayed unmodded IWDII with wine and on win7 machine and it worked without any issues.

Parabalus

Arcane
I agree with bigdogchris that EE IWD2 is needed so it can be properly played on modern computers.

What would EE bring that IWDII doesn't have now?

Messing with ddraw-fix and widescreen I could never get 100% smooth mouse movement going on Win 10. Alt-tab also isn't instant.

Those are minor issues but I wouldn't mind shelling out a few bucks to solve them and not having to worry about potentially bigger problems in 5/10 years. I guess the area loot would be neat too.

Last edited:

Citizen

What would EE bring that IWDII doesn't have now?

Messing with ddraw-fix and widescreen I could never get 100% smooth mouse movement going on Win 10. Alt-tab also isn't instant.

Those are minor issues but I wouldn't mind shelling out a few bucks to solve them and not having to worry about potentially bigger problems in 5/10 years. I guess the area loot would be neat too.

In 5-10 years a win98/2000 virtual machine will be mandatory to play them. In 5-10 years your system would have compatibility issues even with EEs, so you would either emulate win7 to play crappy EEs or emulate win98 to play originals.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
DDraw fix does nothing. The fix you need for the stutters and fog of war is different.

Placing a note here regarding Icewind Dale 2 set up:

After installing the game and installing any mods - tweakpack, widescreen, etc., on windows 7 and above you still need to fix the fog of war and the game lagging.

The reason for this, as far as I was able to understand, is because IWD2 will always run non-accelerated mode. They never implemented 3D support for IWD2.

One suggested fix has been to delete your ddraw.dll from the game's main directory, but in my case this didn't do anything to solve the lag and fog of war problems.

I found and downloaded the latest version of DDrawCompat: https://github.com/narzoul/DDrawCompat/releases

Placing the ddraw.dll provided there fixed my issues with the fog of war and the lag. Now IWD2 runs and looks like any of the other IE games.

Parabalus

Arcane
DDraw fix does nothing. The fix you need for the stutters and fog of war is different.

Placing a note here regarding Icewind Dale 2 set up:

After installing the game and installing any mods - tweakpack, widescreen, etc., on windows 7 and above you still need to fix the fog of war and the game lagging.

The reason for this, as far as I was able to understand, is because IWD2 will always run non-accelerated mode. They never implemented 3D support for IWD2.

One suggested fix has been to delete your ddraw.dll from the game's main directory, but in my case this didn't do anything to solve the lag and fog of war problems.

I found and downloaded the latest version of DDrawCompat: https://github.com/narzoul/DDrawCompat/releases

Placing the ddraw.dll provided there fixed my issues with the fog of war and the lag. Now IWD2 runs and looks like any of the other IE games.

It's not game stutters or fog of war, it's specifically the hand cursor (so in menus only) feeling slightly laggy. It's really minor.

I switched to the one you posted, when you did it a while back, it fixed the alt-tab issues (thanks!). That's the one I meant, even though luckily the stock didn't stutter for me.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I see what you mean. The slight mouse pointer lag is something I have in all the IE games, but I don't mind it that much.

Modron

Arcane

IE games are absolutely playable on modern machines. What would EE bring that IWDII doesn't have now? Sikret encounter with tranny kobold tribe? New bugs? If you think beamdoge would really do something good, like adding more interesting 3e classes, redrawing backgrounds (not just rescaling them to a blurry mess :argh:), adding more paperdolls, tweaking the difficulty, etc., you are naive. They will just merge in the widescreen mod, upscale the backgrounds and collect money from idiots who think that '90's games are unplayable'. I recently replayed unmodded IWDII with wine and on win7 machine and it worked without any issues.
In case you didn't know everything that Apostle Hand says is bait.

EdgyRightWinger

Educated
Patron
I'm going to dig up this thread and shit all over it to ask --- How feasible would it be for Owlcat to rip all the assets out of IW2 and dump them into the Kingmaker engine?

DND 3.0 and PF rules sets are close enough that the game experience would be more or less the same.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yea exactly what everyone wants, Owlcat instead of Beamdog working on Iwd2.
Whats the difference, either way they gonna put bunch of faggotry in the game.

"Hello my name is Oswald Fiddlebender, before I lead you to your quest keep in mind I use xir/xer pronouns and do not use my deadname Fiddlestraight."

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

"Hello my name is Oswald Fiddlebender, before I lead you to your quest keep in mind I use xir/xer pronouns and do not use my deadname Fiddlestraight."
"Thank you for saving me! Here are a bunch of potions that might be useful to you."
Party received Potion of Sex Change x5

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

"Thank you for saving me! Here are a bunch of potions that might be useful to you."
Party received Potion of Sex Change x5
Party receives Buttplug of Endurance +2, only usable by Chaotic Gender Nonconforming.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom