Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

IWD2 source code lost, Beamdog is sad

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
kotor 2 already has an enhanced edition with that unexpected patch.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Backups are my jam. I deal with this crap at my company all the time, you want data from 2008. Well you never gave a damn when I asked for money to update the system and keep the hardware running.

Backups are such a complex, costly system that very few companies understand. Proper backup tapes for that project should have been locked forever and just means of finding them and recovering them.

Really can't believe that they don't exist.

However, as I said I have dealt with many companies that hate paying for backups and DR.

We are talking about software companies, where software is the core business. Not the Apu's Pawn shop of Calgary.

Well I don't work for Apu, any company worth their salt. Should have backups, to some degree. Even lost source code from the 80s is turning up, and that's a miracle in itself.
I'm sure they had backups at some point, but the tapes probably ended up in a bin along with a lot of other stuff that was left over when Black Isle closed their office. At the time nobody could probably imagine that games would get "remastered" in the future, so they didn't have any motivation to search through the dross to find out if anything was worth preserving.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
More like: IWD2 has no mods we can steal.

I was thinking this. How can people who specialize in stealing mods for games with no challenge or character development enhance a game that is actually challenging and has decent character development?

Severian Silk

I think Beamdog would do well by us with Fallout 1 & 2, and we should endorse them.

:troll:

Last edited by a moderator:

deuxhero

Arcane
Wonder what game they'll try to "remaster" next.

:philosoraptor:

Hopefully none.
NWN1 of course

If they fixed a few hardcoded things the community has wanted forever (support for non-segmented bodies, multiple controllable henchmen) and didn't break everything it would be great. Who gave a shit about the official campaigns in NWN anyways?

Zer0wing

Cipher
kotor 2 already has an enhanced edition with that unexpected patch.
No android port, though. And it's not like KOTOR 2 was difficult to run on modern OS', unlike Bioware's own first game, which is a buggy mess, for shame.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They are going to remaster Fallout 1&2 under Bethesda's orders.

Quote me on that.

It's bound to happen.
I don't think so. Bethesda always struck me as a jelly, NIH, profit oriented company (why else keep on with a creaky engine for years?), so they're more likely to 'remaster' the story to a Fallout 3d engine themselves.

pippin

A NWN1 would be something new since it would finally be something Trent had something to do with.

Severian Silk

They are going to remaster Fallout 1&2 under Bethesda's orders.

Quote me on that.

It's bound to happen.
I don't think so. Bethesda always struck me as a jelly, NIH, profit oriented company (why else keep on with a creaky engine for years?), so they're more likely to 'remaster' the story to a Fallout 3d engine themselves.
Re-using the original Fallout engine would be free publicity for Interplay and Black Isle, and would draw attention away from Bethesda. I don't think they could stand for that!

imweasel

Too bad, this would have been the one Infinity Engine game that Beamdog could have actually improved.

OH WELL

Backups are my jam. I deal with this crap at my company all the time, you want data from 2008. Well you never gave a damn when I asked for money to update the system and keep the hardware running.

Backups are such a complex, costly system that very few companies understand. Proper backup tapes for that project should have been locked forever and just means of finding them and recovering them.

Really can't believe that they don't exist.

However, as I said I have dealt with many companies that hate paying for backups and DR.

We are talking about software companies, where software is the core business. Not the Apu's Pawn shop of Calgary.

Well I don't work for Apu, any company worth their salt. Should have backups, to some degree. Even lost source code from the 80s is turning up, and that's a miracle in itself.
I'm sure they had backups at some point, but the tapes probably ended up in a bin along with a lot of other stuff that was left over when Black Isle closed their office. At the time nobody could probably imagine that games would get "remastered" in the future, so they didn't have any motivation to search through the dross to find out if anything was worth preserving.

The mere fact that it was Black Isle stuff means it is worth presenting. I honesty think that even an old chair Tim Cain sat on when developing Fallout has a value.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Updating Aurora engine games is a fucking pain in the ass from what I heard and Beamdog aren't exactly known for their effort.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Updating Aurora engine games is a fucking pain in the ass from what I heard and Beamdog aren't exactly known for their effort.
CD Projekt RED did wonders with Aurora, though. But who are popatoes working on building their reputation and who the fuck is beamschlong.
smaller dialouge box for PS:T than BG2, fucking what?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The problem with updating NWN is that the scope for improvement is endless. There's no excuse of missing 2D art assets to allow you to focus your efforts. Do you start making ultra-HD models for everything? It would be a potentially monumental undertaking.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Isair and Madae are left-wing extremists in that they believe in a peaceful future filled exclusively with mixed-race peoples (specifically humanoid/monster hybrids) brought about by rape camps, and damn near murdering everyone who disagrees with this future.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom