Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I've ordered the game. Do I have to wait?

Gwendo

Augur
I mean, do I have to wait for the CD, or is there a full download in your site? That would be cool, as I'm itchy about playing the full version (and I'm only here at weekends).

I could proveide the order number or whatever needed.

Gwendo

Augur
Well, maybe next weekend i'll have it here. Or I'll have to wait 'til the next weekend after that (I'm home only at weekends)...

And I've already checked out the next game in production, and I must say I'm very curious about the possibility the author might release the tools to make more games like this (unless he plans to make more games with it, of course).

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Well, when I got it, I was living in Boston and it only took me about 6 or so days. Apparently, that was behind schedule, and the Company sent me an extra copy in case that one didn't make it. Great customer service there.

Gwendo

Augur
What amazes me is that this game is, mainly, a two guys effort!

I wonder what would they be able to do with a larger team and a nice budget. (Maybe that wouldn't help, as worries about earning money would influence their game design, *sigh*).

Wolf Mittag

Wolf Mittag Software Development
Developer
Hi Gwendo, hi Naked Lunch,

> do I have to wait for the CD

Unfortunatly, yes. Delivery usually takes 1-2 days within Germany, about 3-4 days within Europe, 4-6 days to the U.S., 5-6 days to Australia. We ship every CD within 24 hours of receiving an order (usually on the same day).

So far this seems to have worked quite well. Only in some cases, delivery to the U.S., and sometimes, to Australia, has taken more than a week; however, in several of these cases it even took more than 10 days (which is clearly unacceptable). Fortunately, 90-95% seem to be delivered on time (or perhaps people just don't complain?).

Most of the problem cases have been U.S. west coast or smaller places in the interior, so my guess is that somewhere down the line a handover went wrong or got delayed: The CD would first be shipped by Deutsche Post DHL, from Berlin, Germany, to probably Frankfurt int'l airport, then to New York or somewhere on U.S. east coast, then probably by a U.S. postal service to somewhere on the west coast, and perhaps by yet another service to the final destination - if one considers it, it's actually quite amazing how fast and smoothly everything usually goes.

-----------------

> full download in your site?

Since several people have asked for downloadable full versions, I intend to offer these at some point; however, I haven't yet found the time to implement this. (This will require a number of changes to installation, version licensing, ordering pages, web hosting, download authorization, and so on.) (There's a thread discussing all of this for DARGHUL.)

-----------------

> What amazes me is that this game is, mainly, a two guys effort!

Well, thank you. I guess it's a question of man hours - two men working thousands of hours can produce as much a 20 men working hundreds or 200 men working dozens of hours.

-----------------

> I wonder what would they be able to do with a larger team and a nice budget. (Maybe that wouldn't help, as worries about earning money would influence their game design, *sigh*).

May well be. Most expensive in terms of production time is the damn complexity and game depth; this relates mostly to programming and dialogs, but also affects game world and graphics. So if I was working for my shareholders in a listed company, the first measures I'd take would be A) to buy shiny graphics, and B) to drastically simplify everything - reduce game depth and complexity, reduce interactivity, reduce number of choices, cut down on alternatives, and so on. While that might reduce gaming fun, it probably wouldn't affect sales numbers, since these would depend more on favorable press reporting, enticing screenshots, and favorable physical placement in stores...

-----------------

> I wonder how successful Teudogar has been. Any word on that, Wolf?

Not too successful. (I've earned more money by being leveraged long oil and gold over the past few years.) Basically it's lots of demo downloads and some but not enough full version sales. So I wouldn't start all over. But since I've come this far, I'll make the best of my invested work.

Sincerely, a cordial "Thank you!" to all of you who did buy a full version!

-----------------

> possibility the author might release the tools to make more games like this (unless he plans to make more games with it, of course).

I intend to make two more "Teudogar"s ("Roman Rule" and "Rebellion/Uprising against Rome") some day. However that would not keep me from releasing the game world editor. It's more that (once again) I haven't found the time yet.

There is a developer's version of Teudogar with Teudogar.Exe containing a game world generator and editor, plus a number of seperate tools for text files checking and compiling, and for linking the data files. (In order to create a game world location, one would first draw a basic map with all the outlines, then run this through the generator, then manually add npcs, furnish houses, define property, correct errors and so on.)

However, to make all of this releasable for 3rd party use, there'd have to be a better user interface and a much more extended and detailed user's manual, regarding not just game world generation and editing but also npc definition, dialog system, dialog macro language and much more (and most documentation is currently in German and would have to be translated first). Plus, in order to allow independent games, a number of things that are currently hardcoded in a seperate C++ file would have to be loaded from definition .txt files instead (i.e., "player opens door at 123,456: set flag 789"). No big deal, but these files would have to be loaded, interpreted, checked for errors and so on, and I'd have to program that. Finally, some changes to data routines to enable them to handle custom game files, and the save game and load game routines, travel screen, quests notebook, and so on - a number of changes everywhere, nothing big, but still some work, taken all together. (Problem is, I assume that extremely few people would be enthusiastic enough to consider buying such a developer's version.)

Gwendo

Augur
I've got the game! And I'm enjoying it. Good one. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom