Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ITZ came for Grimoire!!

larpingdude18

Educated
As mentioned before, many game balance issues to still be adjusted. Leveling up is highly irregular and will need some work to adjust correctly.

I think I’m going to have to introduce scaling. I didn’t think I needed it but I am convinced it will be a big step in the right direction. Not very hard to implement at all.
http://grimoiresystems.com.au/goldenera/

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
One must say, though, that in an open world game (and I just suppose that grimoire is one) it is much harder to make leveling balanced.
Scaling helps a lot here. I'm absolutely sure this is how the scaling abomination Oblivion came to be.

Then again, he should have had enough time to make things balanced without scaling...

Or, this could be a misunderstanding. Maybe he is talking about XP scaling, like in D&D, when you kill a lower-level enemy you get less XP.
But who knows?

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Azrael the cat said:
Angthoron said:
Or perhaps it's a climbing skill?

I was hoping that in Grimoire's infinite awesomeness there'd be separate skills for skinning (fur pelts) and scaling (fish and lizard skins).

You forgot needling, for hedgehogs and the likes of.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You know what else had scaling? Wizardry 8. I thought Cleve said he was better than that, yet here he goes copying them again.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
thesheeep said:
One must say, though, that in an open world game (and I just suppose that grimoire is one) it is much harder to make leveling balanced.

It's not hard to balance at all. Have the player start in a low level area and put mid level areas inbetween low level and high level areas. Give the player clues regarding a dungeon's difficulty level (IE: a high level dungeon full of medusas could have petrified peasants with looks of horror on their face outside). Unless he's a lobotomy patient (read: bioware fan) or a masochist he'll come back when he feels better able to tackle it.

tehRPness

Educated
Mastermind said:
thesheeep said:

It's not hard to balance at all. Have the player start in a low level area and put mid level areas inbetween low level and high level areas. Give the player clues regarding a dungeon's difficulty level (IE: a high level dungeon full of medusas could have petrified peasants with looks of horror on their face outside). Unless he's a lobotomy patient (read: bioware fan) or a masochist he'll come back when he feels better able to tackle it.
lol no cuz that would make teh game linear and unsandboxy, which is what an rpg is all about noob!

Hobo Elf

Arcane
He should just remove levels and add shooting mechanics. Level scaling is horrible. Every game I ever played, Wiz8 included, would've been that much better without any kind of scaling.

ElectricOtter

Good luck with that. You let me know how that all turns out *sound of moles popping*

mondblut

Arcane
nnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Here's a novel idea - scale the number of enemies, not their power. Worked for Wiz7, hey. (for difficulty levels). To the point you could encounter unique beings in pairs on hard.

MisterStone

Arcane
WHy can't Cleve just including scaling as part of the fish cookery skill. Dammit. :decline:

schluberlubs

Educated
He only mentions scaling, so It may be something like GearHead's renown scaling. In Gearhead, renown goes up as you complete missions but goes down as you die/get blown up/fail missions. The difficulty of missions and the mecha you faced (as well as the rewards for beating them) scaled to renown. Its a system that I'd say really worked well.

Still have a faint, uneasy feeling he means level scaling, though.

torpid

Liturgist
Lord Ahriman has transitioned from grim supervillain over the past fifteen years to sort of pathetic comic relief in current game. Somewhere between Dark Helmet and Dr. Evil in the final product. Basically has rage attacks every time we meet him over what we have been doing in game.

Sounds a lot like Cleve :lol:

Chaotic Lulz3r

Liturgist
Mastermind said:
thesheeep said:

That's scaling too...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom