Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ITZ ALMOST HERE

qliveur

Educated
OMG, here's to finally being able to play at native res! It looks great. Hats off to you, Drog!
Fucking awesome! :D
skyway said:
The only thing that Arcanum lacks now is balance.
With the proper one the game would be complete
Agreed. It's the only major thing left that I know of that still needs fixing.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Cloaked Figure said:
The game is pretty balanced now that grenades cost AP to throw, and a bunch of exploits have been fixed.

All that is left is some overpowered magick spells and other random assorted stuff.

And companions - including their AI. They eat all of your XP when they hit (seriously though - XP per hit is retarded, what was wrong with good ol' 'sharing XP after the fight'?. It was easier to grind levels by just taking a weaker weapon and hitting weaker monsters) - they summon golems which turn on you (did UAP fix it?) and they heal them when you try to put them down. But damn companions are needed as mules at the same time - especially when playing a guy that is more into inventing stuff than fighting with a sword.

Carceri

Arcane
killerschlumpf said:
A bah magic is not that overpowered than the skills:
Meele + Backstab + Prowling + any fast weapon is imba. Or the Pyrotechnic Bow with Prowling and Bow.

Yes, sir. You can easily solo the game with any of these two choices. I am currently playing a solo halfling tech archer and I have to say that pyro bow alone is ridiculous, not to mention adding prowling in the mix. Archery is by far superior to firearms as a skill due to the expert training bonus.

I forgot to say, what you mentioned, that i always play solo, but turnbased. With followers it is way too easy and also not that fun because they just cause problems :D

If you do a little powergaming it is more than easy to become max lvl (before Quintarra) and master in many things (soon after Quintarra).

User was nabbed fit

OH GOD I MUST HAVE IT NOW

Can't continue my playthrough of Arcanum knowing that if I wait, I can play it with this.

Murk

Arcane
Hmm, would it be possible to expand the wooden pattern to fill up the empty screen, or to add in a border around it?

Regardless, great job - and like the others I'm glad you kept on modding.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
And companions - including their AI. They eat all of your XP when they hit (seriously though - XP per hit is retarded, what was wrong with good ol' 'sharing XP after the fight'?. It was easier to grind levels by just taking a weaker weapon and hitting weaker monsters) - they summon golems which turn on you (did UAP fix it?) and they heal them when you try to put them down. But damn companions are needed as mules at the same time - especially when playing a guy that is more into inventing stuff than fighting with a sword
I take it you've never exploited the Ashbury graveyard in that case? :lol:

MetalCraze

Arcane
Kaiserin said:
And companions - including their AI. They eat all of your XP when they hit (seriously though - XP per hit is retarded, what was wrong with good ol' 'sharing XP after the fight'?. It was easier to grind levels by just taking a weaker weapon and hitting weaker monsters) - they summon golems which turn on you (did UAP fix it?) and they heal them when you try to put them down. But damn companions are needed as mules at the same time - especially when playing a guy that is more into inventing stuff than fighting with a sword
I take it you've never exploited the Ashbury graveyard in that case? :lol:

No. I don't feel like doing MMO grinding in Arcanum, although I had to at one point.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Looks like it's finally done. All interface related bugs and issues have been ironed out, and everything seems to be working 100% at any resolution. Now it's time to playtest this baby to check if there are any content related issues.

Expect the release in a week or so.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Drog Black Tooth said:
Expect the release in a week or so.

63_screaming-agony.jpg

Spasticteapot

Novice
1st time playing the game!

I recently bought a copy of Arcanum, and found this site while looking for some patches. What, exactly, should I download for an optimal gaming experience?

This also begs the question: Would Troika still be around if they hadn't kept up the Fallout tradition of making a really awesome game that you can't play because it crashes every few minutes?

Crolug

Liturgist
Re: 1st time playing the game!

Spasticteapot said:
I recently bought a copy of Arcanum, and found this site while looking for some patches. What, exactly, should I download for an optimal gaming experience

Download official patch from here, then follow up with everything from here. Plus wait "a week or so" for high resolution patch and you can piss on all nowadays Fallout 3/Mass Effect/whatever "RPG" crap.

Spasticteapot

Novice
Re: 1st time playing the game!

Crolug said:
Spasticteapot said:
Plus wait "a week or so" for high resolution patch and you can piss on all nowadays Fallout 3/Mass Effect/whatever "RPG" crap.

My pissing on those sorts of games is like Dell pissing on a fruit vendor for selling a product that doesn't compare to their PCs. You have to compare apples to apples, not apples to snake bile.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I btw don't get why people call Arcanum fugly. Its fantasy + postindustrial steampunk art looks better than most of the shit in modern games.

User was nabbed fit

I'll make a human sacrifice to you, Drogg, if that makes this come out any sooner.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Thrasher said:
THE TEXT IS SO SMALL!!!
I forgot mention that you will be able to optionally install larger dialog and logbook fonts. A slightly larger version of the same font will be used (14 size instead of 12). It's original as well, no ugly upscaling.

Murk

Arcane
skyway said:
I btw don't get why people call Arcanum fugly. Its fantasy + postindustrial steampunk art looks better than most of the shit in modern games.

I think it was the tile system they used that did it. I thought the game had rather nice art considering it was very standardized and liked the level of interactivity. It wasn't ultima, but it surpassed many others. In regards to art from something like Icewind Dale tho... yeah it sucked.

Vendigroth was magnificent, however. No complaints whatsoever about anything there.

Thrasher

Erudite
Drog Black Tooth said:
Thrasher said:
THE TEXT IS SO SMALL!!!
I forgot mention that you will be able to optionally install larger dialog and logbook fonts. A slightly larger version of the same font will be used (14 size instead of 12). It's original as well, no ugly upscaling.

14 over 12 isn't much of an increase. 16 or 18 would be better. Readable is better than pretty.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Some screenshots of the larger fonts:

Thrasher said:
Readable is better than pretty.
Then I suggest you not use really large resolutions. It's not only fonts, everything will look tiny. And I’d also like to stress that the goal of this patch is to keep everything as close to original as possible. Thus, no heavy UI changes, no custom graphics, no upscaling/stretching.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom