Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

It's been almost six and a half years since New Vegas was released...

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Any mod list that lacks Vicious Wastes and Cirosan's Classic Overhaul companions is shit.

One makes the game considerably tougher, far more than jsawyer, and the other actually balances companions so that they don't die all the fucking time with Vicious Wastes, but also so that they are really just "extras" and not murderous machines on their own.
Read those mod descriptions and didn't like them.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Read those mod descriptions and didn't like them.

Reading the description doesn't do the mods justice. Trust me, it's better to play them.

My problem with Vicious Wastes was due to me trying to run the game with Jsawyer (good) and CCO (good) but alongside Project Nevada (bad). Project Nevada tweaks so many things behind what you can possibly notice in game it will most likely "break" some rebalance mods. As a result, it requires a lot of FNVEdit patching and in-game MCM tweaking to get all mods to work as intended.

Also, the description of Vicious Wastes is ridiculously small, it actually tweaks tons of things in the game.

Only mods I cannot recommend alongside this setup are "Wasteland Economy" and "Painful Injuries". WE just makes the game unfairly difficult, and Painful Injuries makes it a joke because of how it works: you either escape fights unscathed by killing everyone quickly, or you end up reloading after getting killed fairly quick. Incidentally, "Realistic Weapon Damages" shares the same problem.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
PN is a clusterfuck. JSawyer ultimate has a sprint/slower backpedal option which made it mostly obsolete for me.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Jason Fader (Technical Producer of New Vegas, currently Game Director of System Shock reboot) shared some interesting tidbits about Wild Wasteland perk at a recent RPG panel talk (44:18): https://archive.org/download/PDGCIITheDevsStrikeBack/02051732 Legends Of RPG Panel - Various.ogg

I don't know if this is already known or not:

- Sounds like the perk was MCA's suggestion.
- There was much more to Wild Wasteland but they had to cut it. For example there was an equippable tin foil hat, and if you put it on it tunes in a radio station hearken back to Coast to Coast radio (American conspiracy talk show) which people share some wacky stories. It was cut due to localization considerations.

Mozg

Arcane
We don't have enough Codex theory about localization concerns fucking games up and contributing to the Era of Complete Shit, even though it must be a serious anchor for a AAA or quasi-AAA to drag along.

Vorark

Erudite
NV was the game that finally dragged me away from jRPGs.

BTW, this mod seems pretty interesting: Classic Dialogue Options. No scripts, edits the dialogue directly. Always bothered me you could know beforehand if you were about to fail a skill check.

2house2fly

Magister
NV was the game that finally dragged me away from jRPGs.

BTW, this mod seems pretty interesting: Classic Dialogue Options. No scripts, edits the dialogue directly. Always bothered me you could know beforehand if you were about to fail a skill check.
I like that, though I've played the game so much it'd probably be pointless to me. Will nab it anyway.

Their reasoning for doing it the way it is in the game, iirc, is that they prefer players to explicitly see how their stat/skill choices are impacting the dialogue

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
If only people cared more about a New Vegas' port to Fallout 2's engine, except with finished questlines and extra content (quests, proper Low Int dialogue and more reactivty).

95688757.jpg

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
While it is nice to see a possible Fallout New Vegas remake I really wish the team had chosen a much better engine for it than the one of Fallout 4.
Also, is it possible to put the RPG mechanics of Fallout New Vegas in Fallout 4 or will this conversion rely on FO4's dumbed down system?

I also take that this conversion will rely mostly on the assets of Fallout 4 such as models for NPCs, critters, weapons, etc.
I found those some of the weakest parts of FO4 as most of its designs are just plain ugly re-imagined versions of the assets of the previous games. This could have been opportune moment to bring back the style of Fallout 1 and 2 and recreate the assets in 3D.

To be honest, I don't think this project is not going to go any where, we will get some updates or progress reports and eventually it will fizzle out like so many fan projects.

Fargus

Arcane
If only people cared more about a New Vegas' port to Fallout 2's engine, except with finished questlines and extra content (quests, proper Low Int dialogue and more reactivty).

95688757.jpg

Is it a real thing? And more importantly is it finished?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

95688757.jpg

Is it a real thing? And more importantly is it finished?

Yes (it's got nothing to do with New Vegas, though, it's a Russian mod) but no, as the mod is still in progress I think.

Regarding New Vegas in Fallout 4: the author is retarded and instead of calming down the hype like he should, he makes small comments here and there. But the gist of it is: HE IS NOT REMAKING NEW VEGAS. He's only remaking the landscape into Fallout 4's engine, so don't for a second believe you will play a glitchy port of the game into a new engine. He has said he may port a few quests, but it's a long, long, long shot from "it will be New Vegas, but better".

Of course, Redditors are too retarded to understand this, and honestly look forward to it as if it will be anything but a glorified screenshot simulator.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Do you guys really want new vegas with fallout 4 dialogue and level up system?

I mean someone probably can bring back the old dialogue system and levelling up, but they basically hsve to remake a whole game using the engine

Fargus

Arcane
Do you guys really want new vegas with fallout 4 dialogue and level up system?

Nope. It's not an improvement.

I really don't understand projects like this. And i've yet to see any of them being finished. The development is so slow it feels like it goes on forever, untill eventually some new TES\Fallout game is released. Then development goes back full circle, and they just start it again on a newer version of this shitty engine lol.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I really don't understand projects like this. And i've yet to see any of them being finished. The development is so slow it feels like it goes on forever, untill eventually some new TES\Fallout game is released. Then development goes back full circle, and they just start it again on a newer version of this shitty engine lol.

What's funnier is that Morroblivion is "finished", and NO ONE plays it. Because it is shit, and the only reason it was finished was because it was a shitty port.

Skywind will be no different, it will just look better.

Krivol

Magister

What's funnier is that Morroblivion is "finished", and NO ONE plays it. Because it is shit, and the only reason it was finished was because it was a shitty port.

Skywind will be no different, it will just look better.

True. Morrowind was not great only because of a bit bizzare world - rules and gameplay were quite good or intresting, also it has no quest markers and that's great.

And I just can't imagine detailed wiki dialogues in Skyrim dialogue system.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
True. Morrowind was not great only because of a bit bizzare world - rules and gameplay were quite good or intresting, also it has no quest markers and that's great.

And I just can't imagine detailed wiki dialogues in Skyrim dialogue system.

Morrowind's wiki style dialogue was shit, though. What Skywind should have done is give each NPCs unique lines, while maintaining the strengths of the wiki-style dialogue. Such as asking NPCs where the services were and responses for the different quests. Not THAT difficult, IMO.

For example, the "Background" dialogue topic is the most pointless I've ever seen. Same copy-pasted response for almost every NPC. Something like this:

- I'm new in town. Can you give me directions to the Balmora Cornerclub?
- What is there to see here?
- Heard any good rumours?
- I could use some advice, if you have any.

And so on...

Fargus

Arcane
What Skywind should have done is give each NPCs unique lines, while maintaining the strengths of the wiki-style dialogue. Such as asking NPCs where the services were and responses for the different quests. Not THAT difficult, IMO.

"Less generic npcs" mod series for Morrowind does that. Each npc covered by the mod, have unique lines for most of the topics. Even though the mod is incomplete, it changes a lot of npcs.

I see no point in playing Skywind when\if its done, when i can just enjoy my modded version of Morrowind :love:

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I wonder when this pippin cunt will actually reply with arguments as opposed to just rating "disagree", "shit" and "retadred".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom