Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software It's another Demon's Souls thread god damnit

Silva

Arcane
That's the spirit. These kind of areas are the best part of souls series. When the dread is so big every corner is a potential heart stop.

I remember feeling this way for the first time in New Londo in DS1 (fuck those darkwraights). Then in Upper Cathedral in BB. Can't remember feeling this way in Ds2 and 3.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
That reminds me. I thought DS3 was good mechanically.
However, there's something I cannot forgive: NO DIALOGUE IF YOU LEAVE NPCS MID-CONVERSATION. What in the fuck! That's one of the things that made these games so memorable; one of those little touches that show love and that you really cared about the thing you made.

Black Angel

Arcane
You people who get to play Demon's Souls these days are making me fucking jealous; especially that which talks about Tower of Latria :mad: remaster this for PS4 already :argh:

Last edited:
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Demon's Souls has the best atmosphere of all the DS games.

DeS is the 3rd Soulsborne game I played/am playing/whatever after BB and DaS3. So far, out of these 3, DeS with its Tower of Latria has been the only one to make me go full paranoid, inching forward at snail pace, my shitty buckler always raised expecting doom around every corner. Fucking good times!

I brofisted this post so hard right now!

I literally just finished the first area of Latria half an hour ago. I fucking fell down one of the broken floors, the one on the fourth floor that sends you back down onto the third floor. I landed on the hand rail and thought I was going to slip off to my death. My heart was in my mouth. After that, I was inching forward too! :D

Last edited:

Alkarl

Learned
Demon's Souls has the best atmosphere of all the DS games.

DeS is the 3rd Soulsborne game I played/am playing/whatever after BB and DaS3. So far, out of these 3, DeS with its Tower of Latria has been the only one to make me go full paranoid, inching forward at snail pace, my shitty buckler always raised expecting doom around every corner. Fucking good times!

Oh man, Latria, good times. Thick atmosphere that only gets thicker when an invasion forces that fight/flight response. First time I went through there I got invaded multiple times. It's also where I won my first pvp "match". I had a feeling the guy was coming up from behind me, so I ran down some stairs and hid just to the left in time to catch the guy in a full BS as he came flying down.

sullynathan

Arcane
Sullynathan prefers rehashed Asylum/Stray/Fire Demonsage types of bosses?
You don't have to go that far, he said flame lurker too. Flame lurker is better than leechmonger, dirty colossus, phalanx and the king.

Variety over variations of the same? Yes, because variety is the spice of life.
If they're going to have variety, they should do it right, what's the point of having 4 variations of poo poo monsters?

You know, I hate the first part of the tower of latria. I was hit with so many shitty stun magic that I was going to destroy my PS3. The hit detection is off in that level and I couldn't care less about it's atmosphere. The rest of the level is fine, the maneater boss fight is good on NG but shit in NG+ because the health boost he gets is ridiculous while the best weapons in the game don't get large damage boosts.
I've already played all the souls games so my opinion > yours :P

I feel like DeS and DS are more for slower, thinking players that like to take their time; DS3 is for people with good reflexes that like to kill stuff.
If you want to take all of them slowly you can, if you want to kill stuff you can. You should just adjust or play with a shield.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I never played Dark Souls with a shield, why start now? Besides, I doubt it'd have been much use against Nameless King.

By the way, respect that you admitted to watching videos before you fought the bosses in the other thread. I may never going to agree with you on Demon's Souls but I do appreciate people who are honest.

sullynathan

Arcane
I never played Dark Souls with a shield, why start now? Besides, I doubt it'd have been much use against Nameless King.

By the way, respect that you admitted to watching videos before you fought the bosses in the other thread. I may never going to agree with you on Demon's Souls but I do appreciate people who are honest.
It's hard not to watch videos about dark souls because it's every where on YouTube. Certain videos helped against certain bosses (like bed of chaos), others like Fume knight and nameless king did nothing.

Use silver knight shield+5 against nameless king, I think that's the one with great lightning resistance and when upgraded to +5 the stability is very high.

Black Angel

Arcane
You don't have to go that far, he said flame lurker too. Flame lurker is better than leechmonger, dirty colossus, phalanx and the king.
Context, motherfucker. He said, "I'd rather fight 3 poo monsters than however many flamelurkers or Assylum/Stray/Fire Sage demons that have bloated the sequels". Flamelurker type of boss is fun, but if every bosses is flamelurkers like the way it is in Dark Souls 2, Bloodborne, and Dark Souls 3, it's not fun.

sullynathan

Arcane
Context, motherfucker. He said, "I'd rather fight 3 poo monsters than however many flamelurkers or Assylum/Stray/Fire Sage demons that have bloated the sequels". Flamelurker type of boss is fun, but if every bosses is flamelurkers like the way it is in Dark Souls 2, Bloodborne, and Dark Souls 3, it's not fun.
The Flamelurker influenced bosses are a lot better than all those poo poo monsters
Every boss in the sequels aren't influenced by the Flamelurker.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I seem to remember LIZARDS ARE GONE PERMANENTLY if you do not get them within 3 tries, unlike the other games. So...

Don't forget to peek around corners when they are neaby and get a lock on em. And if you're going to use a bow, which I also recommend, upgrade it to +3 at the least, and don't get the cheapest arrows.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
On my first playthrough of Demon's Souls, I eventually managed to get past the reapers, at which point I made it through the slug area, fought the boss to within a sliver of his health, but then acted foolhardy and got killed.

Of course, I immediately tried again, made it through the level to the boss for the second time (without dying), and killed him. :cool:

If you need help, note that the reapers can
all be killed with a bow from a safe distance where no-one can attack you. Although it's tricky to hit the second reaper, since you can't directly aim low enough but instead need to point the camera downwards to just the right spot. For the first reaper, you might need to kill one or two of his guards on the upper level before firing at the reaper. Use good arrows (did you rescue the merchant in the previous level?) and your best bow . Also, since the first reaper is only a short distance from the archstone, and killing a reaper also kills the reaper's guards, this is one of the 2 or 3 best places in the game to farm souls.

hackncrazy

Savant
First rage quit. Shrine of Storms 2 kicked my fucking ass. I managed only once to get to the fucking slug area only to get blasted by some stupid wisp detonating off screen. I think I raked up close to 20 deaths so far, most of them against those laser beam shooting Scott Summers wannabes. If there's one thing that sucks massive balls in this game is fighting on ledges and enemies fucking hitting you through terrain. What sucks even more is that, while maaaaaybe I could give From a pass with this being the first game of the series and all (getting hit through walls is inexcusable though), this fucking shit still happens in Dark Souls 3. 5 fucking games From and you couldn't fucking fix this shit?

That was, at least for me, the hardest area in the game. I had a lot of difficulty passing through there and my luck is that I managed to kill the area boss on 1st try, otherwise I'd lack the strength to keep going.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I haven't played Demons Souls since it was released more or less and played the whole thing blind. I didn't know there was a storm ruler sword. I just always shot it down with arrows. :oops:

Explains why I always thought it was such a shitty and boring boss.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Demon's Souls Shuts Down Online Servers Soon, Losing Multiplayer And More

The online functionality in Demon's Souls will cease to operate early next year. Sony has announced that it's ending online service for the PS3 game, which will remain playable, but without some of its more memorable components.

Just three months remain for Demon's Souls' online services, as they will be shut down at the end of February. "After 9 years of reoccurring deaths and frustrations, but just as many triumphs of dedication, Demon's Souls online servers will terminate on February 28, 2018," the official Dark Souls Twitter account has announced.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/demons-souls-shuts-down-online-servers-soon-losing/1100-6455205/

Makes you wonder exactly how much keeping servers like this costs - probably a piddling amount. Console peasants.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom