Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

It is happening again: New Twin Peaks By David Lynch And Mark Frost!

Discussion in 'Codex Public Library' started by Astral Rag, Oct 6, 2014.

1. skackygender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

skacky
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    A few things of note regarding Sarah Palmer in the latest episode;
    When she removes her face, we see strange pointy things with electrical zaps. These look suspiciously like the Jumping Man's/The Magician's masks, the frogbug thing's head and the Mother's tongue when Sam and Tracey get killed (eaten?)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also when she removes her face, we can see a hand. Upon closer inspection, one of the finger is dark and much bigger than the others. This finger is the left hand ringfinger, the finger on which the Owl Cave ring is found on everyone except MIKE, the one Leland/BOB says is dirty to Laura, and the one Gordon says is the spiritual mound, the spiritual finger. It is also the finger that's reversed for Mr. C and the one upon which he said YREV, the backwards word.
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 4
    ^ Top  
  2. TorontRaynegender: ⚧ Arbiter

TorontRayne
    Parrots:
    The Giant living on a body of water led me to think him and the woman might be water elementals, of course that could also symbolize the subconscious. I was actually reading the Secret Teachings of All Ages earlier on all the elemental types. The Man From Another Place is clearly some kind of Earth Elemental especially when you take into account him dealing with the ring and being attached to a tree. Bob is fire I would wager but that should be fairly obvious. Air gets me wondering though.

I'm reading a chapter now on The Elements and Their Inhabitants which describes the birthing of spirits in a clear white protoplasmic egg. Sound familiar folks?
    The one small lodge spirit with the long nose mask reminds me of a Satyr in some ways actually. It all goes back to the books I read by Jacques Vallee that compared modern UFO encounters to fairies hundreds of years ago. Encounters with the fair folk were often triggered upon entering circular grove's, exactly like we see with the Sycamores.

Something of note: elementals are not technically spirits since they have flesh, blood, and bones. Earth spirits live the shortest. Air the longest. Average length of life is 300 to 1000 years. Most are of high moral character. It goes on to differentiate between angels and other superior entities.

Come to think of it the Bigfoot sighting in Secret History sounds like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_man

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. buru5gender: ⚧ Very Grumpy Dragon Patron

buru5
    Parrots:
    It's obvious that this was meant to be a 9 episode miniseries but the network wanted to make it a more traditional length, hence all the nonsense being thrown in because they literally didn't have enough material to flesh out 18 episodes with actual content. Lynch cock suckers say it's genius because they don't know any better (and they'd think that shit on a canvas is brilliant high art too I'd bet), but anyone with an ounce of objectivity can see that watching someone sweep or smoke a cigarette for more than 2 minutes is a fucking waste of time. The amount of padding in this series is ridiculous; the only thing worse being the amount of excuses I see defending it.

• Agree x 2
    • Shit x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • rolleyes x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. TorontRaynegender: ⚧ Arbiter

TorontRayne
    Parrots:
    Yeah, got to hurry up and finish that dumb TV show so we can get back to miserable life. Hurry up that art folks.

^ Top  
  5. Make America Great Again Blainegender: ⚧ Cis-Het Oppressor

Blaine
    Parrots:
    Yes, in the format of episodic television, people expect to see likeable characters, and to see those characters develop; they expect thing things to happen, and for events to be resolved, later to be replaced by new and interesting events.

The original Twin Peaks managed to do this very well, sans anything being resolved (something that rarely happens in Lynch productions). It gave us Cooper and Truman, naughty Audrey, Lucy and Andy, Ed and Nadine, the young lovers, troubled Bobby and his Dad, basket case manic Leland, the adventures of Ben and Jerry, and all the rest. It was compelling and entertaining. In short, like Blue Velvet, it was full of Lynch's unique style and idiosyncrasies but also had a coherent plot and (somewhat) grounded characters.

There's none of that now. Lucy and Andy had a bizarre scene with their weird-ass son, and Andy chessmastered Lucy into buying him the chair he wanted. Cooper's a lucky zombie, Truman's ill, his brother and Hawk have eaten some doughnuts and found some hidden messages, Ben's stared into corner with his secretary wondering at the source of a strange noise, Jerry's talked to his own feet while high in the woods four about five or six episodes... the pattern here is that the sum total of substance in all the originals' actions and interactions has been a fractional ghost of what they were in the original series, replaced by watching Dougie shuffle into doorways and drink coffee.

Quite right, and how much screen time has that highlight of the show occupied, I wonder? I'd guess a little over an hour, or perhaps as many as two if one includes superfluous scenes like Gordon Cole exchanging niceties with a prostitute for five minutes, or everyone sitting around silently giving each other peculiar looks for one to two minutes at a stretch (a Lynch trademark).

Who the fuck cares about Sunny Jim? He's spoken twelve words the entire series and is a totally uninteresting character.

I don't find Dougie, Sunny Jim, his Pleasantville nobody of a wife, or the cartoonish gangster plot compelling. None of those people are interesting at all, with the exception of Battling Bud simply because his character concept and his actor are interesting. Albert, Gordon, and Diane are the absolute best thing going.

Note I haven't seen this week's episode that's supposedly so amazing. Maybe that'll change my mind!

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. TorontRaynegender: ⚧ Arbiter

TorontRayne
    Parrots:
    I'm starting to lean towards this theory.

https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comments/6tlplf/s3e14_i_am_seeing_double_and_laura_is_probably/
    Show Spoiler

My mind is blown: The burned major briggs was a doppelganger. The real one was cut in 2, his head survived and was lost in the abyss and said to coop: "blue rose"! Right before that clue, the one armed man says to him "find laura" = Laura is a blue rose = a doppelganger. So freaking clear!!!!

There are simply way too many doubles and Laura's murder scene makes sense when viewed this way. That one scene she looked like she was enjoying getting murdered a little too much. If she switched upon wearing the ring (she was shown to be possessed at more than one point when her lips turned black) then was trapped in the Lodge the line of her saying she is dead yet she lives takes a new meaning. Also that golden orb Dougie was turned into is tied into alchemy and purifying one's soul for spiritual wisdom...at least in the occult texts.

With Naido now being on Earth this might show elementals (like Laura?) can take human form and walk amongst us in flesh and blood without possession.

[​IMG]

MEANWHILE

"Those Sarah Palmer scenes are just filler, man. Just watching TV? Just shopping in the store and being crazy? Just drinking in a bar and... OH. MY. FUCKING. GOD.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    • WTF!? WTF!? x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Make America Great Again Latrogender: ⚧ Arcane

Latro
    Parrots:
    I wonder if
    Show Spoiler
    Janey-E isn't just Diane's sister, but her double. Or rather, Janey-E is the real Diane, and the Diane with the agents is the doppelganger. Dougie-Cooper doesn't react to real Diane because she's been mind-wiped or something. All we know about the real Diane, is that she went sour after Coop left/encounter with Doppel-Coop.

^ Top  
  8. TorontRaynegender: ⚧ Arbiter

TorontRayne
    Parrots:
    Figure Gordon would know what the real Diane looked like though.

^ Top  
  9. taxalotgender: ⚧ I request a spice shipment immediately. Patron

taxalot
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    So Diane hasn't noticed that Dougie looked like Cooper.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. shihonagegender: ⚧ You see: shelter. Patron

shihonage
    Parrots:
    Bubbles In Memoria
    Having suffered thru 3 episodes of "Twin Peaks" revival, I hereby declare that David Lynch climbed so far up his own ass, he emerged from his own mouth. Which is still up his ass, see. It's a recursive multi-dimensional up-assery from David Lynch. He's lost in the hell that is the mirror labyrinth of his own asses. Forever.

• Funny x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • Old x 1
    • Yes! x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Gondolingender: ⚧ Arcane

Gondolin
    Parrots:
    I have no idea if Janey is Diane's sister. Probably not. This is the false lead that Diane was supposed to feed the FBI ("They haven't asked yet"). A better question is why does Evil Coop want Gordon Cole to pick up Dougie and take him to Twin Peaks instead of doing it himself.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. skackygender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

skacky
    Parrots:
    She says she and Janey-E are estranged and that she hates her and hasn't seen her in years. It makes sense that she doesn't know what Dougie looks like. Or maybe she does know and didn't tell anyone because she's mad sketchy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Make America Great Again Blainegender: ⚧ Cis-Het Oppressor

Blaine
    Parrots:
    Sorry pal, but the Lynch worship in this thread is completely out of control. It was inevitable. Remember the scene in Ghostbusters when Dickless cuts the power to the containment unit? Same basic concept.

He's a genius, only his true believers can properly interpret his astonishingly insightful and profound visions, and if you disagree... well, perhaps The Muensters, Gilligan's Island, Little House on the Prairie, or The Andy Griffith Show are more your speed, hmm? More along the lines of your, ah, regrettable yet charming intellectual limitations, mmyes?

*sips tea, pinkie extended; adjusts monocle slightly*

I say, Chauncey old bean, they do seem to admit any old riffraff to the club these days, don't you think so?

• hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Darth Slaughtergender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Darth Slaughter
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin
    That's very... lynchian... I could picture David Lynch doing it this scene.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Lorenzengender: ⚧ Arbiter

Lorenzen
    Parrots:
    I was hoping against hope that they had filmed some scenes with Bowie before he was gone (although that info would impossible not to leak) so I thought it was nice of Lynch to use his scene from Fire Walk with Me and dedicate the episode to the man. It's weird, I've never met the guy nor even seen him and yet I miss him. Sad stuff.

Anyway, I enjoy Twin Peaks immensely. I absolutely love how it jumps from different moods and is never jarring, that in one scene a woman in a bar takes off her face and in another an FBI director walks into a room like this:

and it all works. I remember I fell in love with the first series when in the pilot some kid in high school locked his locker and breakdanced away through the whole hall. When it's funny it's really funny, when it's weird it's really weird, when it's scary it's really scary, when it's sad it's really sad, when it's good it's really good and when it's bad I go to pieces. Ah, Bowie, you asshole. :negative:

And, oh man, only four episodes left. Bummer. I will definitely miss watching agent Tammy walk sail.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  16. Vibalistgender: ⚧ Arcane

Vibalist
    Parrots:
    This scene was best scene

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 9
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. hello friendgender: ⚧ Arcane

hello friend
    Parrots:
    Watching Lynch yelling at people never gets old

^ Top  
  18. skackygender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

skacky
    Parrots:
    PSA: there are apparently legit leaks circulating regarding the remaining episodes, originating from a Russian streaming service. Watch out for spoilers.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Make America Great Again Blainegender: ⚧ Cis-Het Oppressor

Blaine
    Parrots:
    Why watch out for spoilers? Nothing will be resolved anyway.

You can mark my words on that while downvoting my posts because you're smarter than me, folks. Each negative rating adds 5 points to your IQ. If you give me at least twenty negative ratings in this thread, you'll be entered into a contest to receive a personal letter of gratitude from Mr. Lynch himself.

• Best Deal! x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Mynongender: ⚧ Scholar Shitposter

Mynon
    Parrots:
    Blaine sure acts like someone who doesn't care about what people think about his "throwaway" comments about this show he supposedly doesn't care about...

^ Top  
  21. Make America Great Again Melangender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Melan
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Hi Quentin.

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  22. Vibalistgender: ⚧ Arcane

Vibalist
    Parrots:
    You've recieved about three negative ratings since you started criticizing the show. Relax.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. TorontRaynegender: ⚧ Arbiter

TorontRayne
    Parrots:
    Blaine quit being a fucking faggot. People admit flaws with the show. They just enjoy watching it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Erikolaizgender: ⚧ Educated

Erikolaiz
    Parrots:
    Rewatched Fire Walk With Me. Sheryl Lee did a great job with this scene. Perfectly captured the "my father just raped me and is acting like it didn't happen" look.

[​IMG]

Incidentally, I love this scene where the Palmer family is practicing Norwegian. Probably their final happy moment together before the shit hits the fan. May be biased as a Norwegian though...

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Gondolingender: ⚧ Arcane

Gondolin
    Parrots:
    Given the fact that Sarah has gone over to the dark side, I'm really curious about that noise from inside her house that Hawk heard.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)