Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Isometric action-adventures!

made

Arcane
Recommend some good ones. Preferably heavy on puzzles, light on jump&run elements. Top-down and console titles are fine too; I've probably already played all the Amiga had to offer.

Some of my favs so you know what I'm talking about:

Cadaver (one of the best games ever)
Cadaver_(Amiga)_02.png

Heimdall 2
757311.jpg

The Immortal
1561.jpg

Landstalker (too much jumping though)
186492_landstalker04_medium.jpg

Last edited:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Come on.

Puzzle focus. Games like Heimdall are mostly about puzzles (the enemies are deadly too. Quite deadlier than a normal action game - so there are few).

It's not isometric, but did you try the Humans series?

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/337/Humans,+The.html

80 levels, nice (ability) puzzles, not adventure puzzles like Goblins or something.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Little Big Adventure!

304-little-big-adventure-2-13.jpg

The Great Escape on C64

_-Great-Escape-The-C64-_.gif

(quite an innovative game; the camp you're a prisoner in has a routine, day/night cycle, drills etc. which you have to learn and follow, meanwhile in between plotting an escape)

made

Arcane
You disappoint me, Codex. I expected at least the resident weeaboos to come up with some jap titles I hadn't played yet. Seems like the genre isn't quite as popular as I thought. Ended up grabbing Little Big Adventure (terrible controls) and Alundra, which isn't really all that but close enough.

Never got past the initial town, the game kinda never clicked with me for some reason.

Guardian of Light
Surprisingly good game, considering its low budget and rather casual approach.

did you try the Humans series?
Wasn't aware it's a series. Played the first one on Amiga. Good puzzle game but not really what I was looking for, it lacking the whole adventure part and all.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Wait... so you do enjoy some actually good games, not just the Witcher crap? Mind = boggled.

:troll:

(Although Witcher 2 really is the shittiest game this side of Skyrim.)

Anyway, you probably already played DarkSpyre, but if not, do it, it's probably my favourite among games of this kind.

As for the more obscure ones... Hmm... I don't really know that many, but I do know some puzzle-based crawlers.

There's Tower of the Sorcerer, which is cool if that's your kind of thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRWkhDR60So

Then there's Tower of Myraglen that I LPed recently, it's very basic and short though, but some of the puzzles and traps are tough, unfair, and deadly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYohZyoDCI8

And then there's Tendry's Tale: http://caravelgames.com/Articles/Games_2/RPG.html; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ9T6g2-zCA

That's all I can name off the top of my head. And I don't keep lists. Why don't I keep lists? I should totally keep lists. Anyway, if I remember something else, I'll be back. Cheers.

Also, this thread is in dire need of Black Cat.

made

Arcane
Crooked Bee said:
Wait... so you do enjoy some actually good games, not just the Witcher crap? Mind = boggled.
Witcher > all the games mentioned here and you know it. Unlike you, I'm just not afraid to admit as much. ;)

Thanks for suggestions though. You certainly filled the obscurity quota for this thread, haven't played a single one of them.

made

Arcane
So what news on the iso-AA front since the KS revolution?

I'm downloading Bastion and Transistor right now both of which come highly recommended.

Anything else recent or upcoming to look out for?

made

Arcane
Well, there's a sequel to Guardian of Light: Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris. Pretty lukewarm reviews though.

made

Arcane
Bastion and Transistor
Unfortunately, both of them are very casual and linear with little in the way of puzzles. Gorgeous gfx tho and tight controls - quite refreshing coming from TW3.

Thanks :Flash: That looks like ass but gameplay seems heavily inspired by Cadaver.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Marvel at the wonders of 1990s Polish amiga gamedev:
Dan Wilder
aK8wUQ6.jpg

YjCY78o.jpg

I don't know if it's good(probably not). I only remember it because of the grotesque looking characters from the intro I saw in the screenshots.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
If you played (and enjoyed) The Great Escape, there's another game that uses the same engine called Where Time Stood Still.

Then there is Legend and its sequel, World of Legend, but seeing as they were both released on the Amiga, you've probably given them a spin.

There's a small indie game from 2007 called Mr. Robot that tries to combine isometric platforming with JRPG combat.

EDIT: If you've played everything that the Amiga has to offer, then I have to ask if you played a game called Murder!?

Luka-boy

Arcane
I just remembered another Spanish game, this one is from the mid-90s.

It was called "La Fuga" (The Escape) and it's about escaping from a prision in less than seven days.
Dl1fKKq.png

GxoU28b.png

6kOys0b.png

XdVM2ZF.png

8mSIs3X.png

ebLH0kr.png

7SaYbMd.png

No idea if it ever received a translation, I doubt it, but at least it was released as freeware back in the day.

Last edited:

Luka-boy

Arcane
It is? I could swear there were some action bits. Oh well, it has been almost 25 years, I'm probably mixing it up with Atic Atac or something. Nevermind then.

It is? I could swear there were some action bits. Oh well, it has been almost 25 years, I'm probably mixing it up with Atic Atac or something. Nevermind then.
Well, I played it on the MSX and I don't remember any action bits at all - I do remember some timed sections though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom