Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Isometric 2D Art Appreciation Thread

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
It's Commandos.

Kahlis

Cipher
Even isometric art can decline. Commandos 3 had every background post-processed to hell, true 3D interiors, and a resolution locked at 800x600.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Commandos 2 still has some of the most detailed and realistic isometric 2D art around. That reminds me i need to play Commandos 3, anyone recommend it?

I didn't enjoy commando's 3 half as much as 2. To be fair though 2 was an outstanding game with incredible level design.

Kahlis

Cipher
I think 2 is definitely the best. The original is fun too, but it's more puzzle-like and you often have to do things in a very particular order or else it'll be impossible to continue.

Dexter

Arcane
I believe these from the new Shadowrun Returns News fit in here:
srr_scene06_docks.jpg

srr_scene05b_tenements_crop01.jpg

srr_scene04_lab.jpg

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
those aren't actual in-game screenshots though. it's all game assets, so that's how it probably will look. Just not exactly like that.

I really like the look of the game. much better-looking than for instance WL2, but PE trumps both of them.

Jashiin

Arcane
Yes, I mistrusted their pitch but it looks like they will deliver and then some.

Kahlis

Cipher
I think one thing that helps is how all these old backgrounds are palettized, the limited colors reduce insignificant, murky shades and cause everything to appear more crisp. Lots of modern adventure games that attempt the 320x200 VGA look feel completely wrong because they don't actually have palette restrictions and you can see all the smudginess from when it was painted in Photoshop.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
those aren't actual in-game screenshots though. it's all game assets, so that's how it probably will look. Just not exactly like that.

I really like the look of the game. much better-looking than for instance WL2, but PE trumps both of them.
It is still isometric 2d art that we are appreciating :)

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
DarkEden, a korean diablo-ish MMO about vampires vs vampire hunters.

I didn't post the source on purpose so I could disappoint somebody who asked. :M

roshan

Arcane
DarkEden, a korean diablo-ish MMO about vampires vs vampire hunters.

I didn't post the source on purpose so I could disappoint somebody who asked. :M

I already guessed it was an MMO though, based on the text in the box, was still curious though.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It real time only, so be prepared for simplified gameplay. I always looked at it as a mix of Syndicate and Crusader, although not so good overall. Some micromenaging, but nothing big. On my not inflated scale it's 7/10 game. Always like the mutants and look of the maps. If you liked X-com, but want something more action oriented, than give it a try.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom